Fort Wadsworth: 1900, Staten Island. The oldest continuously manned military installations in the US at its closure in 1994. The site was first fortified with a 1663 blockhouse and then during the Revolutionary War as the American redoubt Flagstaff Fort (1776), taken by the British it was enlarged and used to 1783. NYS started masonry fortifications of Lewis, Richmond (Battery Weed), Morton, Hudson, and Tompkins in 1806 that were used in the War of 1812. Improvements were made to Forts Richmond and Tompkins in 1860s based on 1840s recommendations of Cpt. R.E. Lee. The entire complex of Forts and Batteries was consolidated as Fort Wadsworth, named for Brig Gen James Wadsworth killed in the 1864 Battle of the Wilderness. By 1900 new "disappearing" carriages and breach loading 12" guns with massive concrete walls were installed and some destruction of the original sites were done by those upgrades. Status of Batteries in 1921 were as follows; Battery Richmond, 2 - 12" Disappearing Battery Ayres, 2 - 12" Disappearing Battery Dix, 2 - 12" Disappearing Battery Hudson, 2 - 12" Disappearing Battery Upton, 2 - 10" Disappearing Battery Barry, 2? Battery Duane,? Battery Mills, 1 - 6" Disappearing (1 vacant) Battery Barbour, 1 - 4.7" Pedestal (1 vacant) Battery Turnbill, 6 - 3" Pedestal Battery Catlin, 6 - 3" Pedestal Battery Bacon, AA, 4 - 3" By 1924 (coastal defense had moved to Fort Tilden) it was an infantry post and its coastal guns were cut up for scrap during WW2. 1955-74 Headquarters of the 52nd AAA Brigade, responsible for Nike-Atlas AAA activities of the New York City area bases and New Jersey north of Fort Hancock. Later site of the US Army Chaplain School and then Headquarters Naval Station New York. The site was closed in 1994.
Fort Wagner: 1750, Montgomery County, near Nelliston. A two story stone farmhouse built in 1750 by Johan Peter Wagner, was fortified and palisaded shortly after the start of the Revolutionary War. Unsuccessfully attacked in 1780.
Fort Walwrath: 1776, Montgomery County, St. Johnsville. An unmanned blockhouse on the land of Henry Walrath destroyed during an October 1780 invasion. The fort was near Fort Willett (1780/81).
Camp Washington: Town of Salem, Washington County, 1861-1862. Site of muster for the 2nd N.Y.S.V. Cavalry, Company A, 7 September 1861. A more permanent site was constructed in July 1862, located on the Washington County Fairgrounds, with a main building over 90 feet long. Other buildings and feeding arrangements were made. Recruiting for the 123rd Washington County N.Y.S.V. was conducted throughout the County and Col. A. L. McDougall named commander. Formal muster was 4 September 1862 and the 123rd left Camp by train for Washington 5 September, not to return until 1865. Thanks to William A. Cormier, Town Historian.
Fort Washington: 1776, New York County, Fort Washington Heights. Revolutionary War (Sep-Nov 1776), on the East side of the Hudson River north of New York City, above Jeffery's Hook. Opposite (West), on the East New Jersey cliffs (Palisades) was Fort Lee (also known as Fort Constitution) and a small Redoubt further north. A small redan to the North on the heights was Forest Hill Redoubt (Site of Margaret "Molly" Corbin's manning her husbands gun) further developed by the British as Fort Tryon and further north was Fort Cock Hill. This was Washington's last stand (16 Nov 1776) on the island of Manhattan, and after being forced from these works there was a battle at White Plains. The British renamed it Fort Knyphausen Nov. 1776. It is now Bennett Park.
Water Battery: 1811, Staten Island. Early name for Fort Richmond and Fort Wadsworth.
Waterbury's Battery: 1776, New York City. A 7 gun American position at the foot of Caterine Street and its intersection with Cherry Street. Now beneath approaches to Williamsburg Bridge. Also nearby was a 2 gun position called Shipyard Battery. Neither were evidently used by the British.
Watering Place Redoubts
Watering Place Redoubts: 1776, Staten Island. American entrenchment's at Tompkinsville on what later was known as Pavillion Hill existed prior to 1776. The British built three redoubts in July 1776. Two of these were described as circular, double abatised, picketed, and could hold 200 troops each.
Watervliet Arsenal: 1817, Albany County, Watervliet. Located on approximately 140 acres of land in and around the city of Watervliet, New York. Watervliet is located approximately 3.5 miles north of the city of Albany, NY and adjacent to the Hudson River. The land was acquired and arsenal construction started in 1813; designated as Watervliet Arsenal in 1817. The WVA consists of two primary areas: (1) the "Main Process Area" where manufacturing and administrative operations occur, and (2) The "Siberia Area", chiefly utilized for storage. Watervliet Arsenal is an active U.S. Army facility. It is the Nation's cannon factory, and currently manufactures tubes and tube assemblies for cannons, cannon components, mortars, and recoilless rifles, and the main gun tube for the M1 Abrams tank.
Watson Labs: 1951, Oneida County, Rome. Part of Griffiss AFB. See Rome Laboratories.
Fort Webb: 1780, Orange County, West Point, South of Fort Clinton. One of many additional forts added by Col. Kosciuszko based on Mar 1778 plans.
West Battery: 1807, New York County, NYC. See Castle Clinton
West Point: 1778, Orange County, West Point. The main Fort Clinton was on the point with Sherburnes's Redoubt, and on the rocky crags to the southwest was Fort Putnam. The shoreline of the Hudson to the south had Walter (Seacoast?) and Knox Batteries. To the north were Chain, Lanthorn, Green and South Batteries. South of Fort Clinton on the ridge line were Forts Webb, Wyllys and Meigs. In 1779 Redoubts 1 through 4 were added west of Fort Putnam. In 1778 Redoubts 5 through 7 were planned for Constitution Island, 7 was the site of former Fort Constitution and the Gravel Hill Battery site (6) was built as Greaton's Battery. West Point is one of the Nation's oldest military post in continuous operation. A permanent garrison of American revolutionary troops were stationed here on January 20, 1778 to thwart British efforts to control river navigation and split the colonies. The United States Military Academy was established in 1802 and prepares selected young men and women for careers as Army Officers and leaders of the Nation.
Westhampton Air National Guard Base
Westhampton Air National Guard Base: 1972, Suffolk County, Westhampton Beach. Part of the former Suffolk County Air Force Base. Home station of the 106th Aerospace Rescue Group since 1972.
White Creek Fort
White Creek Fort: 1777, Washington County, Town of Salem. See Fort Salem.
White Plains Nike Base (NY-09)
White Plains (NY-09)Nike Base: 1955-63, Westchester County, White Plains. Launcher Area for 30 Nike-Ajax Missiles. Manned by NYARNG units 1959-63 with ARADCOM. Integrated Fire Control area was Kensico. See NIKE
Whitehall Battery: Feb-May 1776, New York City. Located just east of the Grand Battery in what had been Whitehall Dock (now South Ferry) and behind Washington's Headquarters at #1 Broadway. The British retained the works and made improvements in 1782.
Camp Whitman: May-July 1916, Dutchess County, Green Haven. Camp established on the State Industrial Farm at Beekman for the mobilization training of New York State Troops from 9-22 July 1916. Site was 825 acres and was named for Governor Whitman. NYS appropriated $500,000 for the camp and contracts were issued for water and sewer systems, buildings, latrines, baths, etc. Commander was MG O'Ryan, 27th Division.
Camp Wikoff: 1898, Suffolk County, Montauk Point. Established August-September 1898 in vicinity of Fort Pond Bay as a Federal demobilization and quarantine camp for troops returning from Cuba at the close of the Spanish-American War. Named for Col. Charles Wikoff, 22nd Infantry, killed before Santiago at El Caney. Selected for its proximity to rail and deep water anchorage, and because it was believed prevailing offshore winds would hinder spread of tropical diseases to the civilian population, from August to October 1898. Area later used for National Guard annual training in the 1920s.
Willborough Blockhouse: 1797, Essex County, Town of Essex, Essex. Erected for Indian protection. Used as County Courthouse 1799-1807.
Willem Hendrick, Fort
Fort Willem Hendrick: 1673, New York County, New York. What had been Fort Amsterdam (Dutch) 1626-1664 and Fort James (British) since 1664, was briefly reoccupied by the Dutch 1673-74 as Fort Willem Hendrick.
Willets, Fort - Queens County
Fort Willets: 1862, Queens County. Construction started in 1862. Shown as Fort Willets on 1871 map (Willets Point), renamed Fort Totten.
Willett, Fort - Montgomery County
Fort Willett: 1781, Montgomery County, St. Johnsville. Fifth fort added to previous four about Fort Plain, 4 miles to Northwest, as a result of raids in fall 1780. The fort had 15 foot high oak palisades with blockhouses at the northeast and southwest corners. This large fort supposedly could hold a thousand people, and had a huge oven. After the war the farmers that had contributed the logs for the palisades removed them and the fort was demolished.
William Henry, Fort
(1) - 1691, New York City, See Fort George (2) - 1755 September, Warren County, Village of Lake George. Built by Maj Gen William Johnson and named for two royal grandsons of King George II, William and Henry (some accounts say for William Henry, Duke of Gloucester). The Fort repulsed numerous attacks from French troops for two years, until August of 1757, when General Montcalm mustered a force of 12,500 French Regulars and Indian Allies to attack the Fort. After six days, the log fortress battered by the French cannonade finally surrendered and the fort was burned by the French. Replica reconstructed starting 1953.
Williams, Fort - Oneida County
1756, Oneida County, Rome. French and Indian War, On the Oneida Carry/Portage (Rome). At the upper landing of Mohawk River, eastern terminus of the carry. Was about 1/4 mile downstream from future Fort Stanwix. A log stockade in a pinwheel shape with two blockhouses and one storehouse. Destroyed by the British 20 Aug 1756 after the French took Oswego to deny them fortifications at the carry.
Williams, Fort - Saratoga County
1759, Saratoga County. On land route between Fort Edward and Fort George, halfway between Halfway Brook and Lake George.
Williams, Fort - Washington County
Town of Salem, Washington County, 1778. Also known as the Salem Blockhouse. In conjunction with Fort Salem the logs from an old log meeting house were used to start a blockhouse as an outpost to the fort, on Mill Hill. Believed to be incomplete when the fort was destroyed in late 1777. In early 1778, after the defeat of Burgoyne at Saratoga, the citizens and Militia returned to Salem and completed the blockhouse. It is believed this was then named for General (Dr.) John Williams, who had helped organize the White Creek Militia and as a Col. organized the Charlotte (Washington) County Militia. Thanks to William A. Cormier, Town Historian, for this information
Willsboro Atlas F
Willsboro Atlas F: Site #4: 1961-65, Essex County, Willsboro. See ATLAS F for detailed information.
Fort Windecker: 1777, Montgomery County, Minden. Stockaded and fortified farm of Johannes Windecker, with a blockhouse in one corner of the stockade. Located on the River Road, south of the Mohawk River, in the Village of Minden, and 1 1/2 miles south of St. Johnsville (North side of river) and 8 miles northwest of Fort Plain. Removed after the Revolutionary War.
Fort Winslow: 1756, Saratoga County, Stillwater. Built on the site of Fort Ingoldsby. Named for General Winslow. Supply station on route from Albany to Fort William Henry. Later known as Montressor's Blockhouse, Storehouse and Barracks 1758, and Schuylers Supply Depot 1777.
Fort Wintermoot: 1778, Pennsylvania. Loyalist works on the Susquehanna River opposite Wilkes Barre, PA, and the Continentals' Forty Fort. Start of attack 2-4 July 1778 on Forty Fort and the "Wyoming Massacre". Abandoned upon withdrawal at end of July. Appears to be well into PA, not a NY Fort.
Wood Creek, Fort - Oneida County, 1755
1755, Oneida County, Rome. Originally to be called Fort Wood Creek but went by Fort Bull
Wood Creek, Fort - Oneida County, 1756
1756, Oneida County, Rome. French and Indian War, On the Oneida Carry/Portage (Rome). At the upper landing of Wood Creek, western terminus of the carry. After Fort Bull was destroyed March 27, 1756 by the French under de Lery. (Massacre at Fort Bull), rebuilt from May-Aug 1756 on an adjacent site. Destroyed by the British 20 Aug 1756 after the French took Oswego to deny them fortifications at the carry.
Fort Wood: 1811, Statue of Liberty, Bedloe's Island. In 1811 an 11 pointed star-shaped battery with 30 guns was completed. Named Ft Wood (for Lt. Col Elenzer Wood battle of Lake Erie) in 1814. 1861 used for 100 sick Confederate POWs from Castle Williams, later moved to Fort Warren in Boston harbor. By 1877 the island was under consideration for the Statue of Liberty and a garrison post had been built around the original fort. The island was selected and the pedestal completed within the fort by April 1886 and the statue installed thereafter. Taken over for maintenance by the War Department in 1902. The National Park Service was formed in 1916 and took over operations in 1933 of two acres while the Army kept 10 acres. The NPS took total control in 1937 and the Army began to close the fort through December 1944. The garrison post buildings of Fort Wood were torn down from 1948 to 1950.
Fort Wyllys: 1780, Orange County, West Point, South of Fort Clinton. One of many additional forts added by Col. Kosciuszko based on Mar 1778 plans.
Fort Wyoming: Susquahanna - Wyoming Valley, now Pennsylvania?