Madison Barracks: A living museum of military architecture, Madison Barracks played a part in every war involving our nation from the War of 1812 (see Fort Pike for more) to World War II. Initially occupied in 1816 with barracks completed in 1819 and named for President Madison. Intermittently garrisoned until after the Civil War. Additional construction from 1893 to 1899. Primarily a Hospital Post in WW1 and a training post in WW2. It is architecturally unique as an early example of a designed military complex and for the rich diversity of its stone and brick buildings. Closed in 1945. With a sweeping parade ground and wide view of Black River Bay, Madison Barracks forms a National Register Historic District. The complex is the focus of a major renovation project. For more information see www.1000islands.com/sacketsharbor/
Manhattan Beach Coast Guard Training Station
Manhattan Beach Coast Guard Training Station: USCG Basic Training and Petty Officer Rating Training Facility during World War 2. 43,000 trainees trained here, including first significant numbers of blacks.
Fort Marcy: Mexican War, New York City. Used as encampment or staging area for New York mobilized troops. Exact location not known. Named in honor of William Marcy, Secretary of War.
Fort Masonic: 1814, Brooklyn, between Nevins and Bond Streets. Rename and reconstruction of Fort Greene (1776).
McGown's Pass Redoubt
McGown's Pass Redoubt: 1776, New York City, British. Constructed on one of two small steep hills in the northeast corner of what now is Central Park. Evacuated November 1783. Reconstructed August 1814 as Fort Clinton. Current site of Fort Clinton Monument.
Fort Meigs: 1780, West Point, South of Fort Clinton. One of many additional forts added by COL Kosciuszko based on March 1778 plans.
Fort Michie: 1900, Great Gull Island (off East tip of LI). WW2 Harbor Defense. Consisted of two 12 inch and two 10 inch Coastal Artillery guns "rifles" on disappearing carraiges. Status of batteries in 1921 was: Battery Palmer, 2 - 12" Disappearing Battery ____, 1 - 16" Disappearing (Under Construction) Battery Benjamin, 2 - 6" Pedestal Battery Maitland, 2 - 6" Pedestal Battery Pasco, 2 - 3" Pedestal AA, 2 - 3" Was a 17 acre sub-post of Fort Wright. Also linked with Fort Terry and Camp Hero. For more information see: Coastal Defense Study at www.cdsg.org
Middle Fort (Fort Defiance): Just North of Wyerstown (Middleburgh), became the Headquarters of the Schoharie Military District. It was the first of three forts completed and enclosed nearly three acres. Comprised of logs a foot in diameter and ten feet above ground, with loop holes. Blockhouses were constructed at the northeast and southeast corners. Huts lined the east and west sides. The stockade enclosed the Becker stone house (cellar was magazine) and barn (barracks). Another Barracks, well and oven were also built. Besieged by British, Torys and Indians 17 Oct 1780. see Timothy Murphy: Frontier Rifleman on defense of Middle Fort 1780. The following information was supplied by Jay Lawyer: On this page you refer to Middleburgh as "Wyerstown." The town to my knowledge has never been called that. The town at that time was known as "Weiser's Dorf." Later to be called Middleburg. Now legally to be known as 'Middleburgh.' Mr. Lawyer is also interested in restoring "The Middle Fort." If you would like to help this effort please contact: Jay Lawyer at email@example.com or Gary Hayes at firstname.lastname@example.org
Milgrove Nike Base
Milgrove Nike Base: (BU-18): Mid 1950s-Mid 1960s, Launcher Area for Nike-Ajax Missiles, associated Integrated Fire Control area was Lancaster, see also NIKE. See also www.pcpages.com/phoneman/bu18.html (link opens new window)
Mill Rock Blockhouse
Mill Rock Blockhouse: 1812, New York City. Blockhouse on Mill Rock in the middle of the East River, opposite the mouth of the Harlem River. Burned in 1821.
Miller Field: Staten Island. A former U.S.Army Air Corps base, two WW I aircraft hangers. Part of the Gateway Park. Used as a New York National Guard Airfield (Army Air Corps) between the World Wars.
(1): 1709 & 1755, Saratoga County, Town of Northumberland, West River Road (County Route 29). Initially reportedly built during the Queen Anne's War in 1709 on the Hudson River, west side portage of the "great Upper Falls", by Col. Schuyler during the Nicholson Expedition. This is South of Ft Edward, opposite current Village of Fort Miller, and North of Ft Hardey. Also reportedly built or rebuilt by, and named for, Col. Miller 1755 (State Historical Marker) (2) 1759, See Fort Amherst
Millersport Nike Base
Millersport Nike Base (BU-09): Mid 1950s-Mid 1960s, Launcher Area for Nike-Ajax Missiles, associated Integrated Fire Control area was Ransom Creek see also NIKE.
Camp Mills: Garden City, (Hempstead Plains) Long Island 1917 and 1938. In 1917, west of Mitchel Field, an army base named for BG Albert Mills was established. Used to organize and mobilize the new 42nd (Rainbow) Division Commanded by Douglas MacArthur. Used as demobilization station after the war to after at least 1921. Reopened in 1938 for Air Corps expansion at Mitchel Field.
Fort Misery: 1755, Washington County, S. of Fort Edward. Palisaded blockhouse on high ground on Moses Kill and East side of Hudson River. Abandoned 1764, briefly used by patriots in 1777 to guard road.
Mitchel Field: Uniondale, Long Island 1917 - 1961. A U.S. Army Air Corps base. Near what had been an unnamed enlistment center in 1776, then Camp Winfield Scott in 1860 and Camp Black in 1898. Also near Mitchel Field 1918 and 1938. Adjacent to Hazelhurst Field (1917-1919) which became Curtis Field (1920-1929) and then Roosevelt Field (1929-1951). Originally Aviation Field #2 (1917-1918) then named for NYC Mayor John Mitchel killed in training in Louisiana. Formerly Headquarters First US Air Force. Key base in the defense of metropolitan New York in the 1940s through 1950s. Active and Reserve Air Transport Units until closure in 1961. Parts of housing area retained and were still in use by USN for multiservice housing. For more information see www.lihistory.com/specguid/war.htm (link opens new window) The following was submitted by Tim Grace, 368th FG Historian: The 368th Fighter Group, flying Republic Aviation's P-47 Thunderbolt, participated in 1406 missions in Europe from March 14 1944-May 9 1945. The 368th FG led all Ninth Air Force P-47 groups with 145 aerial victories and was the the recipient of the Presidential Unit Citation. Activated 1 June 1943, as an Overseas Training Unit the group was stationed at Farmingdale, NY from Aug-Dec 1943. During this time the 397th Fighter Squadron of the group operated 12 miles away at Mitchel Field, NY. For additional information contact: www.368thfightergroup.com. [link opens new window] Other information: March 14th, 1944 to May 9, 1945 Combat Hours Flown: 45,390 Combat Missions Flown: 1406 Combat Sorties: 17,455 Aerial Victories: 145 Aircraft lost or damaged beyond repair: 110 .50 caliber ammunition fired: 4,570,892 rounds Pounds of ordnance (all types) dropped: 10,860,000 lbs.
Model City Nike Base
Model City Nike Base (NF-05): Mid 1950s-Mid 1960s, Launcher and Integrated Fire Control Area (Dual Site) for Nike-Ajax Missiles. See also NIKE.
Montauk Air Force Station
Montauk Air Force Station: 1957, Suffolk County, Montauk Point. Originally Camp Hero 1941, transferred to the Air Force in 1957 which established a radar and air defense station. Closed in 1980 and placed in caretaker status. In 1984 the GSA auctioned off the property except for parcels which were part of a State Park.
(1) Below West Point. Guarded the first chain vicinity of current bridge, on west bank of Hudson, Northwest of chain. Companion to Fort Clinton. The fort was an irregular earthworks almost triangular in shape with the point facing west. The point and two sides had bastions. Inside the fort were a two story 80 by 20 foot barracks with basement, a powder magazine and gun platforms. Captured and destroyed by British October 1777. Site is on US 9W just north of the Bear Mountain Bridge traffic circle. For more information see forts of the lower Hudson. (2): Rouses Point, Lake Champlain. Fort "Blunder". 1816 started construction. 1818 discovered fort partially in Canada, negotiations lasted to 1842. New Fort started 1844, nearly completed by 1870 when abandoned. Only occupied by two caretakers. Guns removed in 1910. Much of the fort's granite used in 1936 Rouses Point Bridge. Now 60% ruins, privately owned, not open.
Montressor's Island: 1776, New York. Now known as Randall's Island, it was first used as a quarantine area for American troops with smallpox. British forces occupied and fortified it September 1776 and used it as a base for operations against northern Manhattan. Attacked once by Americans, British held it until the evacuation in 1782. Reverted to private ownership and farming until 1835 when purchased by the city. Used as potters field and hospital site, now becoming park and recreation facilities.
Mooers, Atlas F
Mooers, Atlas F, Site #12: 1961-65, Clinton County. see ATLAS F for detailed information.
Fort Moreau: 1814 Clinton County, Plattsburgh. Main fort between Fort Brown (west on Saranac River) and Fort Scott (east on Lake) containing 12 Cannons and three buildings. See Plattsburgh Battle Forts for Map and story.
Morgan's Battery: 1812-17, Erie County, Buffalo. A battery of unknown size built by Major Morgan at the Battle of Black Rock to prevent the rebuilding of a destroyed bridge over Conjaquadie's Creek.
Fort Morton: 1811, East coast of Staten Island for harbor defense. Possibly only a battery it was controlled by Fort Tompkins 1812. May have become part of Fort Wadsworth.
Mount Hope Fort
Mount Hope Fort: Located 1/2 mile from the Village of Ticonderoga. Occupied by French in 1758, strengthened by St Clair in 1776. Abandoned by Americans and occupied by British July 1777. Was a four acre post with blockhouse, guardhouse, and magazine. Supplemental defense to Fort Ticonderoga.
Mount Independence (Vermont): Atop this rugged promontory along the Vermont shore of Lake Champlain, American Revolutionary War troops built a fort complex to guard against a British attack from Canada. The troops named it Mount Independence in honor of the Declaration of Independence. This new fort faced north and stood across the lake from the fort at Ticonderoga.
Mount Nebo Nike Base
Mount Nebo Nike Base (NY-03): 1955-74, Rockland County. Integrated Fire Control Area, now City of Orangeburg park. Associated Launch area was Orangeburg. For more information see alpha.fdu.edu/~bender/NY03.html and NIKE. (Links open new windows)