H. G. Wright, Fort
Fort H. G. Wright: 1879-1948, Fishers Island (off East tip of LI). Western end of the Island, first built up in 1898-99 as a defensive position protecting Long Island Sound and armed with two 12 inch and two 10 inch "rifles" on disappearing carriages. Status of Batteries in 1921 were as follows; Battery Clinton, 4 - 12" Mortar Battery Butterfield, 2 - 12" Disappearing Battery Barlow, 2 - 10" Disappearing Battery Hamilton, was 2 - 6" Pedestal, removed by 1921 Battery Marcy, was 2 - 6" Pedestal, removed by 1921 Battery Hoffman, 2 - 3" Pedestal Battery Hoppock, 2 - 3" Pedestal Operational during WW2 with a small airfield. Linked with Fort Terry, Fort Michie which were sub-posts, and Camp Hero. Closed in the late 1950s and sold to private interests.
Fort Haldimand: 1778, Jefferson County, Carleton or Buck's Island. Near Cape Vincent in the St. Lawrence River. Originally a transient stop for French fur traders it was first used militarily by St. Leger enroute to Fort Stanwix 1777. Garrisoned in 1778 the British started fortifications named initially Fort Carleton along with the Island for the previous Gov. of Ontario 1766, Maj Gen Sir Guy Carleton, but renamed Fort Haldimand for the then current Gov. of Ontario 1778, Gen Sir Frederick Haldimand. The fort was three-eights of an octagon at the top of a cliff. It included three bastions for four guns each, ditches 5 by 24 feet, magazines and barracks. The fort was never completed and construction stopped in 1783. Was the principal British naval base on Lake Ontario. Despite the Jay Treaty of 1794, the British did not leave. At the start of the War of 1812, CPT Hubbard captured the fort on June 1812. The Americans destroyed and abandoned the fort. www.1000islands.com/thecape/thecape.htm
(1): 1776, Kings County, Brooklyn. Another name for Fort Sterling. (2): 1691, Saratoga County, Waterford. Fort built in 1691 for the Schagticoke Indians on the West bank of the Hudson. Thought near the Northern City line, near Lock 1. Existing fort from 1669 was possibly relocated at that time and rebuilt. Garrisoned with 50 Fusileers from Albany in 1691. In ruin by 1702 and repaired in 1704. (3): 1757, Saratoga County, Waterford. A new fort was built on 3 foot stilts at the North point of land at junction of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers, opposite Haver's Island. Described in 1759 as a poor redoubt. Fortification of Haver's Island in 1777 does not mention the fort.
Hamburg Nike Base
Hamburg Nike Base (BU-52): 1956-61, Erie County, Hamburg. Double site Launcher and Integrated Fire Control Area for Nike-Ajax Missiles. Control Center New Lake View Road, 2 E. Heltz Road, now Town Offices. Launcher area New Lake View Road, 1 E. Heltz Road, covered by bike track and Hamburg Town Park and Bulk Storage.
Fort Hamilton: 1825, Kings County, Brooklyn. One of the three oldest Army Posts in the country, this site was first used as a battery position, the Narrows Fort, on July 4, 1776 by General Henry Knox of the Continental Army to shell the British ship H.M.S. Asia as it approached the Harbor. Americans withdrew upon the British landings of August 1776, used by British until 1782. A blockhouse, and 30 gun earthworks were constructed in 1812 on Denyse Heights near here as Fort Lewis. A permanent granite fort, named for the first Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton, was started in 1825 and completed by 1831 to protect the Narrows. In 1841-42 new gun emplacements were built by CPT R.E.Lee. By 1900 new "disappearing" carraiges and breach loading 12" guns with massive concrete walls were installed. The fort lost its old seaward wall for the new guns. Status of batteris in 1921 were as follows; Battery Piper, 4 - 12" Mortar,(originally an 8 gun battery, 4 moved to Tilden) Battery Doubleday, 2 - 12" Disappearing, Battery Brown, 2 - 12" Disappearing, Battery Neary, 2 - 12" Non-Disappearing, Battery Gillmore, 2 - 10" Disappearing, Battery Spear, 3 - unknown, Battery Burke, 2 - unknown, Battery Livingston, 2 - 6" Pedestal (2 vacant) , Battery Mendenhall, 4 empl demo, Battery Johnston, 2 - 6" Pedestal, Battery Griffin, 2 - 3" Pedestal, 2 empl demo, AA, 2 - 3",being dismounted in 1935, By 1924 (coastal defense had moved to Fort Tilden) it was an infantry post and most of the coastal guns were removed by 1941. The current Fort Hamilton, located at the base of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge in Brooklyn, New York, is the only active duty military installation in the New York City metropolitan area. Its mission is to provide premium base operations and area support for the Northeast region, community housing, and protocol and foreign liaison support for the Army, the Department of Defense, and the United Nations. Size: 177 acres.
Hancock Field: Syracuse. 24th Air Division inactivated and Hancock closed as an active base 1983. Part of the North post retained for housing and the NYANG 152nd Air Control Group. Part of the South post retained for the NYANG 174th Attack Wing. Majority of base now Syracuse or Hancock International Airport. See also SAGE for information on Air Defense Control Center whcih was on the North Post, control for Niagara Falls' BOMARCs. John F. Wierda submitted the following: When I was assigned to the SAGE center at Hancock Field NY, it was the 21st Air Division / Norad Region (SAGE) that was from 1970-1974. History Hancock Field was named for Clarence E. Hancock, a prominent local citizen, and member of the United States House of Representatives. In contrast to its air defense mission of today, Syracuse Army Air Base — as it was first known — was built and activated in 1942. during the early days of World War II, as a staging area for warplanes bound for England. Many of the "hardstands" and taxiways now overgrown by weeds were scenes of feverish activity almost 31 years ago when B-17s, B-24s, transports and many other types of aircraft were being prepared for the long hop across the North Atlantic. One of the first units to pass through Hancock Field was the 305th Bombardment Group, flying B-17s and led by Col. Curtis E. Lemay, who later became the Air Force Chief of Staff. Army Air Forces left Hancock Field in 1946 with the 138th Fighter Squadron of the New York Air National Guard remaining as the sole military occupant of the field until the Air Force returned in 1952 with the Headquarters of the 32nd Air Division. Building 3, the present Base Headquarters, was built as the blockhouse for the 32nd pre-SAGE manual division under the Eastern Air Defense Force. The 32nd was phased out and replaced by the 26th Air Division (SAGE) when the SAGE system became operational on Jan. 1, 1959. At approximately the same time, the Syracuse Air Defense Sector became operational. In September, 1963, the 26th Air Division Headquarters was moved to Stewart AFB, N.Y., and the Syracuse Sector, in a realignment of sector boundaries, became the Boston Air Defense Sector (BOADS). On April 1, 1966, a reconfiguration of the Air Defense Command renamed the Boston Air Defense Sector as the 35th Air Division, with headquarters remaining at Hancock Field. The 26th Air Division at Stewart AFB became Headquarters, First Air Force (ADC). In November, 1969, in another Aerospace Defense Command realignment, the 35th Air Division was deactivated and replaced by the 21st NORAD Region/Air Division, with headquarters again at Hancock Field. Today the 21st NORA D Region/Air Division, with its radar and fighter units scattered throughout the northeast, Iceland, Greenland and sections of eastern Canada, provides air defense for more than 50 million Americans living within 500,000 square miles of territory including many of the eastern seaward approaches to the United States and Canada.
Camp Hardin: 1860/1898, Rensselaer County, Sand Lake. Civil War Training Camp for Troy area recruits. Named for Regimental Commanding Officer of 2nd NY Vol. Infantry. Demobilization Camp for the 2nd NY, occupied Aug-Sept 1898.
Fort Hardy: August 1755, Saratoga County, Schuylerville. Built by General Phinehas Lyman at North West intersection of the Fish Kill and Hudson River (Site of ferry accross Hudson and one of the first bridges). Named for Sir Charles Hardy, Governor of NY. Intended as supply post for expeditions against Crown Point. (The Johnson Expedition).
Harrison Blockhouse: 1736/1750, Montgomery County, St. Johnsville. Wooden blockhouse, North side of the Mohawk River and West side of Caroga Creek.
Hart Island: 1860s, Bronx County. Originally a Civil War Training Camp. Fenced in for a Confederate POW camp in 1865 to hold 3,413 prisoners. Occupied as part of Nike Base (NY15) at nearby Fort Slocum by the 66th Guided Missile Battalion 1955-60. Today part of NYC Prisons, with a potters field/cemetary, and private ownership.
Haver Island: 1777, Albany County, Cohoes (Peebles Island). May have been used as a Camp Grounds along with adjacent Van Schaick Island as early as 1709. Van Schaick and Haver Islands again used as a Camp and Supply Depot in 1777. Three earthenwork Batteries, possibly with blockhouses, were constructed by Kosciusco Aug 1777. Site occupied into 1782 due to conflicts with Vermont.
Hazelhurst Field: 1915, Nassau County, Hempstead Plains. In 1917 when the US declared war on Germany, the Army converted a two year old National Guard Base , on the former site of Camp Black, to Hazelhurst Field. Named for Leighton Hazelhurst the first NCO killed in an aviation accident. Civilian aviation field after WWI. Renamed Curtis Field 1920-1929 and merged with adjacent Roosevelt Field and renamed Roosevelt Field 1929-1951. Closed 1951, for construction of first shopping mall in the US.
Fort Hendrick: 1754-1760, Herkimer County, Town of Danube. Located at the Upper Castle of the Mohawks, sometimes refered to as Canajoharie with various spellings. The Upper Castle was established about 1710 and an earlier fortification was constructed in 1747. Location was on the flatts just east of Nowadaga Creek and South of the Mohawk River. Due to the French and Indian War improved fortifications were made on the site of the original two blockhouses with completion in August 1755. Fort was a square of upright pickets joined together with lintels, 15 feet high, 1 foot thick, with portholes and an interior platform. It was 100 paces to a side without a ditch. Some small cannons (possibly swivel guns) in each bastion. A house on each curtain wall for stores and barracks. Garrison was one Officer and 25 men. Named for the Mohawk "King" Hendrick, who was killed at Lake George one month after completion of the fort. Markers for Hendrick and Canajoharie are 3 Km apart although they identify the same place.
Fort Hennepin: Dec 1678, Niagara County, Lewiston. An advance of LaSalle's expedition led by LaMotte constructed a cabin surrounded by palisades near the foot of the Lewiston escarpment. Named Fort Hennepin, after the priest and historian of the expedition, in a 1914 work by Peter Porter. Within a year it was replaced by Fort Conti nearer the mouth of the Niagara River and on the site of the future Fort Niagara. Near this site the French later built an unnamed blockhouse in 1721 it was the site of Joncaire's Blockhouse or Magazin' Royal, and similarly this was replaced by an unnamed British facility in 1761. For history of companion works at the top of the escarpment see Fort Gray.
Herkimer Church Fort
Herkimer Church Fort: 1756, Herkimer County, Mohawk. Stockade around 1740-67 stone Herkimer Dutch Reformed Church, South side of Mohawk River about opposite West Canada Creek. The Old Fort was rebuilt around the church with an added blockhouse, about 1/4 mile west of the previous site. During the Revolutionary War the church, now known as Herkimer Church Fort, was re-fortified with a strong palisade and earthworks. In 1812 the church was renovated and enlarged. The ramparts were destroyed in 1918 with the construction of the Barge Canal.
Camp Hero: 1941, Suffolk County, Montauk Point (East tip of LI), Fort Pond. Navy built docks, seaplane hanger and barracks which are now the former Ocean Science Labs. Camp Hero consisted of two 16 inch gun emplacements, and one 6 inch gun. Linked with Fort Terry, Fort Michie, and Fort Wright. An air base was also constructed during WW2. Deactivated after the war and used for Army Reserve training until 1950. In 1957 transferred to the Air Force and the 773rd Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was activated and used the Western portion of Camp Hero (see Montauk Air Force Station). The Unit and Base was decommissioned and sold in 1982/4.
Fort Hess: 1776, Montgomery County, Palatine Church. A small fortified stone dwelling of John Hess between Palatine Church and St. Johnsville, or one mile west of Fort Fox and 3/4 miles south of Fort Klock.
Fort Hickory: 1812, Franklin County, Town of Chateugay. A blockhouse, site is one mile South of Larkville.
Hicksville Nike Base
Hicksville Nike Base (NY-23): 1955, Launcher Area (may have also been called Brookville), IFC area was Oyster Bay. 30 Nike Ajax, 3 magazines, 1 type "B" and 2 type "C", Inactivated 1963 and not upgraded. Now owned by Town and transformed into Native Park.
(1): St. Johnsville, Montgomery County. Possibly a fortified house used in both the French and Indian War and the Revolution, on a hill in western part of St. Johnsville near East Canada Creek. (may be the same place as Fort House). (2): Part of West Point defenses, known as North Redoubt and South Redoubt in highlands on East side of Hudson 2 miles southeast of Constitution Island, between Garrison and Route 9.
Hoffman Island Maritime Service Training Station: Operated by the USCG to train Merchant Marine Officers and Seamen, 1938.
Fort Horn: 1814, NYC. Located at Morningside Park at 123rd Street and Amsterdam Avenue. Named for MAJ Joseph Horn.
Horn's Hook Battery / Fort
Horn's Hook Battery / Fort: A 9 gun Battery planned in Feb 1776, for the defense of Manhattan Island. Located about what is now 89th Street and East End Avenue, opposite Ward's Island and Hell Gate. A star shapped battery also known as Thompson's Battery. September 1776 under fire from the British in Queens. British occupation saw restoration and addition of palisades and supporting batteries and palisaded blockhouse. After the war the new owner, Archibald Gracie, leveled the works in 1794 and erected a mansion, now home for NYC Mayors.
Hospital Redoubt: April 1776, New York City. Fortified breastworks for the hospital at West Broadway and Worth Street (or Duane Steet) Fortifications were destroyed or removed in winter of 1776.
Fort House: St Johnsville, Montgomery County. Built by Christian House (Haus) and owned by George Klock, a fortified house on western edge of village. One mile west of Village center and six miles northwest of Nelliston. May be same structure as Fort Hill?
Fort Hudson: 1811, East coast of Staten Island for harbor defense. Possibly only a battery it was controlled by Fort Tompkins 1812. May have become part of Fort Wadsworth.
Fort Hunter: 1711, Montgomery County. Early fort (Old Fort Hunter) built 1711-12 by order of Governor Hunter for protection of Mohawk Indians at their Village (Lower Castle) of Ti-on-onto-gen or I-can-de-ro-ga. Was a 12 foot high stockade 150 feet square surrounding Queen Anne Chapel with 24 foot square blockhouses on each corner. Each blockhouse was two story and double-loopholed with chimneys and seven and nine pounder cannons, and could hold 20 men each. The compound included 30 cabins for residents. This area was garrisoned by 70 in the Indian Castle at some distance, plus an Office and 30 men in the fort. (Another account has Fort Hunter being built for the Palatines in 1724.) Records indicate improvements were made in 1755. Old Fort Hunter was worn down at the beginning of the Revolution, having suffered an accidental fire in 1773 that destroyed one blockhouse and two walls. The Pasonage, located one mile East of the fort was restored and used during the Revolutionary War as a fort, may have been stockaded further. Located near the village of Fort Hunter on South side of Mohawk at Schoharie Creek. The fort and chapel were demolished in 1820 for the Schoharie Crossing of the Erie Canal.
Huntington Nike Base
Huntington Nike Base (NY-20): 1955-63, Launcher Area for 30 Nike-Ajax Missiles, IFC area was Lloyd Harbor. Inactivated 1963. Site demolished.
Hurley Blockhouse : 1660s, Dutch, Ulster County, Village of Hurley. Palisaded blockhouse for protection of settlement from the Esopus Indians.
Hyde Bay Camp
Hyde Bay Camp & Fort: 1779, on Otsego Lake, Otsego County. Occupied by the 4th Massachusetts Regiment. Site 2 1/2 miles south of US Route 20 at Middle Springfield.