Fort Failing, 1776, Montgomery County, Canajoharie. The Revolutionary War fortified stone Failing house was 1 1/2 miles west of Canajoharie on the south side of the Mohawk, and one mile west of Fort Renselaer. Burned in 1833.
Farmingdale Nike Base
Farmingdale Nike Base (NY-24), 1957-74, Nassau County, Farmingdale. Integrated Fire Control Area for Launcher area in Amityville. Inactivated 1974. Site deactivated but buildings left, now a NYARNG Training site and OMS. For more information see alpha.fdu.edu/~bender/NY24.html
Battery Fergusson, 1917-1949, Kings Co., Fort Tilden. Two model 1900, 6 inch "rapid fire" guns with a range of 16,550 yards. Named for BG Frank Fergusson, Dec 1939. Originally called East Battery. See Fort Tilden for entire site and sister batteries.
Fort Fireman, 1812, Kings County, Brooklyn. Possibly on the site of Fort Box (1776) on Bergen's Hill.
Fort Fish, 1814, New York County, New York. In Central Park near East 107th Street.
Fisher's Island, Camp
Camp Fishers Island, 1879-1888 Suffolk County, Fishers Island. Also known as Camp at Fishers Island, Camp Creedmore, Camp R. N. Scott, and Camp Stephen B. Luce. Temporary training camp on 8 mile long Fisher's Island off the Northeast tip of Long Island, near New London, CT. Renamed by each garrison that used it. In the 1900s was Headquarters of the Long Island Coast Guard. In the 1940s named Fort Wright a coastal defense post.
Fishkill Barracks/Supply Depot
Fishkill Barracks / Supply Depot, 1776, Dutchess County, Fishkill. Operated from 1776 to 1782. Barracks for 2,000 troops were located one mile below the village of Fishkill on each side of today's Route 9. The river port to the east, Fishkill Landing, is now the Town of Beacon. The depot was on the east bank of the Hudson above Fish Kill. When the depot was started Fishkill Cove or Wiccopee Pass to the south was fortified with 3 batteries. This also was the east end of the 1777 chevaux-de-frise line from Pollopel's (Bannerman's) Island to Fort Plumb Point near New Windsor on the west bank north of the Murder's Kill.
Flagstaff Fort, 1776, Staten Island. A Patriot Redoubt in June of 76, located on Signal Hill at the narrows. Site of an earlier 1663 blockhouse by De Vries (not named or listed). Taken by the British in 1776 and by July 1779 a redoubt with gun platforms for 26 cannon were built. In 1782 had five bastions. Evacuated 1783. Later the site of Fort Tompkins in 1806, that along with others grew into Fort Wadsworth.
Flatts Stockade, 1715, Saratoga County, Schuylerville. Loop-holed brick structure, stockaded. On bluff South of Fish Creek (vicinity of Schuyler Mansion grounds). Burned by the French in 1745.
Floyd Bennet Field
Floyd Bennet Field, 1928, Kings County, Brooklyn. Original NYC Municipal Airport, 1928. Naval Air Station in WW2, 1941 until 1971; and Air National Guard Base from 1941 to 1971, also a Coast Guard Air Station from 1938 to present.
Forest Hill Redoubt
Forest Hill Redoubt, 1776, Manhattan, Hudson River, North end of Washington Heights. The northern outpost of Fort Washington named Forest Hill Redoubt by the Patriots (Site where Margret Corbin replaced her husband at his gun during battle of 16 Nov 1776). November 1776 it was an earthen redan on the 250 foot hill overlooking Inwood Village between Fort Washington and Fort Cock Hill. The British erected Fort Tryon on the site in 1778/79. Now Fort Tryon Park, with an observation platform, flagpole, and commemorative plaques.
Forts A-D Index
Forts A-D Index
Forts E-L Index
Forts E-L Index
Forts M-P Index
Fort M-P Index
Foundry Redoubt, 1780, New York County, New York. British rename of reconstructed Grenadier's Battery (1776) adjacent to Lispenard's Redoubt (1776), used until evacuation of NYC.
Four Mile Post
Four Mile Post, 1755/59, Warren County, Glens Falls. Located four miles North of Fort Edward on road to Fort George (Lake George).
Fort Fox, 1780, Montgomery County, Near Nellistown. A fortified and loopholed stone house of Philip Fox. West of Fort Wagner near Palatine Church on Caroga Creek.
Fort Franklin, 1777-1780, Suffolk County, Lloyd Neck. British fortifications now located in Caumsette State Park (undeveloped) on the neck.
Fort Frederick, 1676, Albany County, Albany. Originally a stockade of wood construction which replace Fort Orange which was on the river. It was rebuilt as a masonry fort between 1702-35, on State Street hill (21 guns), originally with a stockade that enclosed the city. Torn down about 1789. Referred to in "Drums Along the Mohawk" as Fort Albany. A letter 2 April 1703 mentions a new fort is being built. The following was taken from "The English Stone Fortress: Fort Frederick" by William Glidden. It appeared in the September 17, 2003 issue of the Lake Champlain Weekly. War clouds were again threatening in 1702 with the efforts of Louis XIV to place his grandson, Phillip, on the throne of Spain. Britain feared that such an event would enable France to monopolize the trade of the Spanish Empire. On May 15, 1702 Great Britain and the Netherlands declared war against France -a war known as the War of Spanish Succession in Europe and as Queen Anne's War in North America. In North America, Edward Hyde, Viscount Cornbury, cousin of Queen Anne, arrived as a kind of commander-in-chief. As Royal Governor of New York and the first Royal Governor of New Jersey, he was invested with wide authority to improve the English colonists' military posture. The first measure Cornbury sought was to shore up the crown's alliance with the Iroquois by strengthening the faction within the Five Nations of the Iroquois that favored the English. His objective was to restore their confidence in England's firmness of purpose. By the late summer of 1702 at a council meeting with the Iroquois in Albany, he announced that he would rebuild New York's frontier forts, providing protection for both the English and their native allies. He also advocated that only a military force from England directed against Quebec could defeat the Canadians. While in Albany, Cornbury undertook to replace the stockaded fort with a new one of stone. Plans were set in motion to have the fort redesigned and relocated to higher ground in order to provide better defense at a lower cost. On August 15, 1702 the cornerstone of the new fort was completed, and he expected the walls to reach five feet in height before the first frost. This was the very proof that the Iroquois and Hudson River Indians wanted of England's concern for their well-being, and it led them to praise the governor's justice and circumspection. Governor Cornbury unofficially called the new fort "Fort Anne." On September 24, 1702, Cornbury wrote to the Lords of Trade: "The fort is in a miserable condition. It is a stockaded fort about one hundred twenty feet long and seventy feet wide. The stockades are almost all rotten. There is but 23 guns in the fort, most of them unserviceable. Thus we were busyed when Mr. Romer arrived at Albany, which was on the 19th day of August, by which time I had laid the foundation of 2/3s of the fort. And I do well hope that before the frost it will be five feet high which will be a good breast work til next spring." Cornbury also informed the Lords of Trade that he had more progress on the fort in a few weeks than Colonel Romer, the imperial engineer, had done in a year and a half. Nor did he hesitate to redesign the fort and relocate it to higher ground. He then demanded an audit of Romer's accounts. Friction flew between the two of them. Cornbury's actions gained the support of Albany's magistrates. Where as the magistrates previous requests for protection had gone unanswered, Cornbury had actually begun construction of a new stone fort large enough to shelter them and their native allies. Cornbury also proposed the construction of four other forts or stone redoubts on the frontier, and in time of war a force of six hundred to man them. The imperial officer Colonel Robert Quary confirmed that the new fort gave "great satisfaction to our Indians, who lay the great stress of their security on the defense of those forts." On June 18, 1703 Colonel Robert Quary wrote to the Lords of Trade: "My Lord Cornbury hath laid the foundation of a stone fort at Albany, and hath carried it on a great way. It will be very regular and answer the end." Emphasis on Albany's defense continued following Cornbury's administration. Acts were passed for repairing the blockhouses, platforms and other fortifications during the administration of Governor Robert Hunter on November 28, 1711, May 7, 1711, July 25, 1715 and on October 2, 1716. Queen Anne's War officially ended with the signing of the Treaty of Utretch on April 11, 1713. Measures were taken in Albany during the years following Queen Anne's War. Acts were passed on October 16 and November 21,1724, during the administration of Governor Burnet to improve security, which included plans for building new blockhouses. Later the blockhouses were fortified with "great guns." With increased activity by the French in the Lake Champlain country, President Van Dam of the New York Assembly reported on September 11,1731 to the Duke of Newcastle that they had voted during the last session that they would in their next take into consideration the building of the fort at Albany. Construction began in 1734 on a new wall around the city. The newer portions of the wall were stone by 1735. Governor William Cosby reported to the Board of Trade on June 10, 1735 that an act had been passed during the last year for fortifying the cities of Albany and Schenectady and other places in the County of Albany. A county laid out northward to the French frontiers. It was finally reported to the Board of Trade on June 2, 1738 that the stone fort was completed at last and named "Fort Frederick" in honor of Frederick Louis, the eldest son of King George II of Great Britain. It was a 200-foot square structure with a bastion at each corner. Within the structure a single, long, brick two-story barracks existed alone one curtain wall and an equally long two-story brick "Governor's House" along the opposite side. Each building had bedsteads for 40 men. A garrison of 300 could be maintained in the fort. The fort mounted eight or ten cannon, most of them 32-pounders. The fort stood throughout the colonial wars. Its existence was proof of England's determination in defending the English colonies and its native allies. However, by 1785 Albany's Common Council decided that the fort at the head of State Street had served its usefulness and should be torn down. The remains of Fort Frederick were used by workmen for the widening of State Street. Much of the stone was also carried off by officers of the different churches to be used for building purposes. At the site of Fort Frederick now stands St. Peter's Episcopal Church within which Colonel George Munro of Fort William Henry fame and George Augustus, Brigadier General Viscount Howe, a significant loss in the expedition against Fort Carillion in 1758, are now buried.
Fort French, 1696, Onondaga County, Syracuse. Temporary French fort near Syracuse for raid on Onondagas. Current site of Onondaga sewage plant.
Fort Frey, 1702, Montgomery County, Palatine Bridge. Site is on Route 5 one mile west of Route 10 on the north bank of the Mohawk opposite Canajoharie. The 1689 cabin of Hendrick Frey was palisaded by the British in 1702 and used until 1713 during the Queen Anne's War, in 1739 replaced with loopholed stone building and used during the French and Indian War in the 1750s.