Oblong Redoubt: Spring 1776, Brooklyn. Bult by Americans to the left (Oblong) of Fort Greene (1776) and right (southwest) of Fort Putnam (1776) on the other side of Flatbush-Jamaica Road (DeKalb and Hudson Avenues). A circular fortification that held 3 companies. One of a line of entrenchments for the Battle of Long Island from Fort Box at marshes near Gowanus Bay to Fort Greene to Oblong Redoubt to Fort Putnam to Left Redoubt at Wallabout Bay. Each work was a complete entity surrounded with a wide ditch, sides lined with pointed stakes, and each had sally-ports. Most of the line also had abatises. Destroyed by the British. Rebuilt/reoccupied in War of 1812 as Fort Cummings.
Oghwaga (Oquaga), Fort
Fort Oghwaga (Oquaga): 1757, Broome County, on the Susquehana River (at what is now East Windsor or Ououquaga, 20 miles below Unadilla) site of the Western terminus of canoe carry (now Route 17) from the Delaware River. This fort was occupied by loyalists and indians friendly to the crown in the Revolutionary War. Destroyed in a raid out of Middle Fort, Schoharie valley, by Ltc. Butler on 9 Oct 1778.
Old Blazing Star Post
Old Blazing Star Post: 1776, Richmondtown, Staten Island. A fortified inn on the north bank of the Fresh Kills, west of Richmondtown, garrisoned by Hessian troops.
Old Fort Herkimer
Old Fort Herkimer: 1740, Herkimer County, Mohawk. Fortified house of Johann Yost Herscheimer, South side of Mohawk River about opposite West Canada Creek. The two story house was 70 feet long by 40 feet wide with two foot thick stone walls and loopholes on each floor and basement. The house was enclosed with a parapeted palisaded and six foot by 7 foot ditch. The four angles had small bastions. The site was destroyed during construction of the Erie Canal in 1825. Also known as Fort Kaouri (or Kouari).
Old Sow Battery (Oquaga)
Old Sow Battery (Oquaga): 1812-14, Erie County, Buffalo. Near present City Water Plant, earthwork with one 8 inch Mortar. To the North was Fort Tompkins, and to the South was the Gookins Battery.
Oneida Carry Forts
Oneida Carry Forts: 1755, Oneida County, Rome. The present City of Rome is located on the Oneida Carry. This was the portage passage between the western most navigatible part of the Mohawk River to the navigatible part of Wood Creek that led to Oneida Lake, Oswego River and Lake Ontario. In 1755 the British built Forts Williams, Newport and Bull to protect this key portage. After a destructive raid on Fort Bull it was replaced with Fort Wood Creek, and Fort Craven was started to replace Fort Williams. After the French took the Oswego Forts, these forts were destroyed and the British withdrew further East. Later they returned to the region and built Fort Stanwix.
Oneida Castle: Built in Sep 1756 near present Little Falls as a 120 Sq Ft Stockade with two 24 Sq Ft blockhouses at opposite corners. Built on orders of Sir Johnson for the Oneida Indians.
Fort Ontario: The first British fort at Oswego was Fort Oswego in 1722 on the West side of the river. The British added Forts Ontario (East side) and George (West of Oswego) starting construction in September 1755. This original Fort Ontario (Also known as Fort of the Six Nations and East Fort) was 192 feet square (800 feet in circumfrence) of log construction 20 to 30 inches thick and 9 feet high with an en glacis counterscarp, surrounded by an 18 x 8 foot ditch. The fortifications included redans at the center of each side, and a barracks was constructed. All three were destroyed by Montcalm in 1756. A British force reoccupied the Oswego area in June 1759, and constructed temporary fortifications, during BG Prideaux's expedition against Fort Niagara, and fought off an attack from La Presentation 5 July.
Fort Orange: Dutch trading fort, Albany, on Hudson 1624, taken over by British 1664, replaced with Fort Frederick 1676. Replaced a previous Dutch trading fort 1615-17 (see Fort Nassau). This rendering by Leonard Tantillo was based on a Dutch map of Rensselaerwyck drawn in 1632, which indicated the fort stood on the river's edge in an area of cultivated flats. The moat which surrounds the fort on all but the east side next to the river is visible. Specific plans for the fort are not known to exist, but was probably built on the same general plan as numerous other Dutch facilities around the world which were researched along with seventeenth century Dutch paintings, and drawings providing much of the information pertaining to building details, and various site embellishments. Details were also obtained from archeological findings in a partial excavation of the Fort Orange site in 1970.
Orangeburg (NY-04 and 4R) Nike Base
Orangeburg (NY-04 & 4R) Nike Base: 1955-74, launcher Area, State Route 303, N. Orangeburg. Located within current US Army Reserve Center. (NY-04R) Radar Site, 1958-59. Integrated Fire Control area and Search/Acquisition radar for area was at Mount Nebo. For more information see alpha.fdu.edu/~bender/NY04.html and also alpha.fdu.edu/~bender/NY03.html [links open new windows]
Orchard Park (BU 34/35) Nike Base
Orchard Park(BU 34/35) Nike Base: Mid 1950s-Mid 1960s, Launcher and Integrated Fire Control Area (dual site) for Nike-Ajax Missiles.
Oswego Falls Palisade
Oswego Falls Palisade: 1758, Oswego County, Village of Fulton. Also called Fort Bradstreet. Believed to have been built in 1758/9 at the carry around Oswego Falls on the east bank of the Onnadaga River (now Oswego River), adjacent to South First Street. Still existed in the 1770s but not used during the Revolutionary War by either side. West part was destroyed by the construction of the Oswego Canal in 1820.
1 - Fort Oswego: First British fort at Oswego started as a trading post in 1722 on the West bank of river, First and Lake Street, Oswego. In the summer of 1724, to counter Magazin Royal (Joncaire's Blockhouse) at Niagara, New Yorker's under orders of Governor Burnet, established a fort and trading post at the mouth of the Oswego River on Lake Ontario. 1724 it was a blockhouse, 1727 a 4 foot thick stone stone walled building with galleries (sometimes called Fort Burnet for Governor William Burnet). In 1741-3 work was started on a stone wall around the trading post with bastions or blockhouses in each corner (called Fort Pepperrell in the 1740's). Later the British built Ontario and George in 1755. All three were destroyed by Montcalm (French) in 1755. (The French refered to this site as Fort Chouaguen) Only Ontario was rebuilt in 1756. 2 - New Fort Oswego, see Fort George (2)
Camp Otis: 1899, Monroe County, Rochester. Little is known, only information is reference to a "noon mess" at Camp Otis on a stereocard. Possibly Spanish American War muster post.
Fort Ox: 1756, Oswego County. A temporary British defensive position at the junction of Ox Creek and the Oswego (Onnadaga) River. Involved with General Bradstreet's battles with the French in July 1756.
Oyster Bay (NY-23) Nike Base
Oyster Bay (NY-23) Nike Base: 1955-63, Integrated Fire Control Area for 30 Nike-Ajax Missiles, Launcher Area was Hicksville (Brookville). Inactivated 1963. Control area is used by the Nassau County Board of Coop Services. For more information see alpha.fdu.edu/~bender/NY23.html [link opens new window]
Oyster Bay, Fort/Encampment
Oyster Bay Fort: 1779-81, Nassau County, Town of Oyster Bay. A British fortification of a hill. Occupied by Simcoe's Queens Rangers. Not attacked by Americans during the war. Site is at Orchard and Prospect Streets. [Description of Image] Oyster Bay Encampment Drawing by LTC Simcoe