Fort Edward (Roger's Island), 1755, Washington County, Fort Edward. This location was the Southern terminus of the "Great Carrying Place", a 11 mile route from the Hudson River to the forks of Wood Creek at Fort Anne leading to Lake Champlain. Earlier fortifications were Ft Nicholson 1709, Fort Lydius 1732-1745, and Fort Lyman 1755 which was renamed Fort Edward. After a major fire in 1756 the works were improved in 1757. Also around this time, a large military complex was constructed on nearby Rogers' Island, (which today is an historic site listed on the National Register of Historic Places) and a blockhouse (Royal Blockhouse) to guard the west channel. Here in 1757 the survivors of Ft Wm Henry took refuge. American Headquarters in 1777 after the loss of Ft Ticonderoga. Abandoned and then occupied by Burgoyne on his advance to Saratoga. Reoccupied by Americans after Saratoga until the close of the war, then gradually abandoned.
Fort Ehele was a single-story stone house, constructed in 1729 by John Ehle. In 1752, John’s son, Peter, constructed a second story, and in 1777, the house became partially fortified and stockaded. Today, the site is just miles south of Fort Rensselaer.
Elizabeth Ferry Redoubts
Elizabeth Ferry Redoubts, 1777, British, Staten Island. Three redoubts garrisoned by three Hessian Companies.
Ellenburg Atlas F
Ellenburg Atlas F, Site #11: 1961-65, Clinton County, Ellenburg. See Atlas F for detailed information.
Ellis Island Coast Guard Training Station
Ellis Island Coast Guard Training Station, 1939,New York County, Ellis Island. Temporary training station established here in 1939 at the Immigrant Building built in 1933. See Fort Gibson (1812-1861) for location map.
Eries, Fort of the
The original date of the construction of the Fort of the Eries is unknown. What is known is that the fort predates 1653. The fort was situated on the south side of Buffalo Creek and was constructed by Native Americans known as the Erie. The fort met its end in a decisive battle between the Eries and Senecas, where the latter emerged the victors. Before its destruction, the fort boasted earthworks, including a circular palisade.
Fort Esopus was a Dutch fortification built as a defense against the forces of the Native American tribe known as the Esopus. Boasting an impressive half-mile diameter, the fortress housed formidable defenses, such as a moat and a guardhouse. Established in 1658, Fort Esopus was utilized by the forces of the Dutch Empire as a base of operations to facilitate the conquest of native land throughout the 1660s. The fort was sieged by Native Americans in 1659, but the effort was unsuccessful after the arrival of Dutch reinforcements. Following this, the fort was expanded on three different occasions, with the diameter of its final iteration falling at just under an entire mile. In 1664, the fort was surrendered to English forces following the empire’s conquest of New Amsterdam. The Dutch briefly regained control of the fort in 1673, before it was retaken by the English the following year. The fort was abandoned by the English in 1677 and was then known as Fort Kingston.