In 1776, during the Revolutionary War, Fort Independence (1) was built in the Bronx. Arguably the strongest fortification in the region, Fort Independence, also as Fort Number 4, was located on the heights between the old Boston and Albany Post Roads and is now the site of Fort Independence Park. The Continental Army built breastworks, which helped to defend the parallelogram shaped fortress, which boasted bastions at two angles. Its construction started in June 1776 and the site enclosed a stone barracks, a magazine and several tents. However, the fort was deserted in October 1776 and occupied by British Hessian troops during the empire’s occupation of the city. It was later destroyed and evacuated in September 1779. In 1776, Fort Independence (2) was ordered to be built in Westchester County, on the Hudson River, to protect what is presently known as State Camp Smith. Known as Roa Hook, or Tethard's Hill, the fort was built in August 1776. However, it was evacuated in October 1777 when Montgomery and Clinton fell and was subsequently destroyed by British invaders. The fort was later obliterated by quarry operations.
Fort Ingoldsby was built during Queen Anne's War in 1709, near the present-day location of Stillwater, on the Hudson River, by Colonel Schuyler. The fort was named for the then Lieutenant Governor of the New York colony. The fort’s intended purpose was to serve as a supply post for the Nicholson Expedition. Later, in 1756, Fort Ingoldsby was reconstructed, and its name was changed to “Fort Winslow”. Visitors to the area can also see the Stillwater Blockhouse, a recreation of a typical eighteenth-century blockhouse, which was formerly located at Fort Neilson, Bemis Heights. The blockhouse is made from original barn timbers.
Iona Island was bought by the United States Navy in 1899. It is located on the Hudson River, south of Camp Smith. During both world wars, it served as a Navy ammunition supply base. The base became one of the largest of its kind in the nation. On November 4th, 1903, and explosion at the base killed six of the base’s staff members. The island supplied munitions throughout the twentieth century, until the facility closed its doors in 1947, following the conclusion of World War Two in 1945. The island was purchased by the Palisades Interstate Park Commission in 1965.
Fort Irondequoit was built, a town of the same name, on a bluff overlooking Lake Ontario. Built by French forces, under the supervision of General Jacques-René de Brisay de Denonville, who landed there in July of 1687, enroute to the battle at Victor. The fort was constructed by a party of four hundred men awaiting his return.
Islip Long Island MacArthur Airport
The 201WF, NYANG mission served as weather support to the 42ID, NYARNG, and was attached to the G2. It was supported by the 242 SIG BN in Hempstead, on Long Island, and directly provided aviation weather support to the 42 AVN BN at ISP. The ANG personnel support was provided by the 106RQW CBPO at Gabreski ANGB in Westhampton Beach. Due to facility limitations at ISP, the 201WF moved to Gabreski ANGB in 1983, and was later disbanded during the 42ID reorg in OCT93. The 202WF, MAANG, at Camp Edwards in Otis ANGB on Cape Cod, formerly assigned to the disbanded 26ID, MAARNG, was reassigned to support the new multi-State 42ID following the disbanding of 26ID. Contributed by Joseph Tabaco, TSG, NYANG (Ret), Ronkonkoma, NY
Fort Izard was built in July of 1814 in Clinton County, on the peninsula of Cumberland Head. The fort served as a heavy battery position and was constructed under the leadership of General George Izard. The fort contained four to eighteen pounders with a redoubt at the rear. It was occupied for a few weeks and ultimately went without use, before being vacated for defenses constructed at Plattsburgh.