Tappan (NY-01H) Nike Base
Tappan (NY-01H) Nike Base: 1956-68, Housing Area.
Terrace Battery: 1812 - 1817, Buffalo. One of eight batteries from the Front to Conjaquadie's Creek. This was a small earthwork lightly armed, south of Fort Porter.
Fort Terry: 1879-1948, Plum Island off North East tip of Long Island. Fortified a number of times from the Spanish American War through World War 2. Coastal Artillery Fort defending approaches to Long Island Sound. Status of batteries in 1921 was; Battery Stoneman, 4 - 12" Mortar Battery Steele, 2 - 10" Disappearing Battery Bradford, 2 - 6" Disappearing Battery Floyd, 2 - 6" Disappearing, arms removed by 1921 Battery Dimick, 2 - 6" Disappearing, arms removed by 1921 Battery Kelly, 2 - 5" Pedestal, arms removed by 1921 Battery Hagner, 2 - 3" Pedestal Battery Eldridge, 2 - 3" Pedestal Battery Greble, 2 - 3" Pedestal Battery Dalliba, 2 - 3" Pedestal Battery Campbell, 2 - 3" Pedestal AA, 2 - 3" Linked with Camp Hero, Fort Michie, and Fort Wright. Declared surplus in 1948 and in 1954 ownership was transferred to the USDA for use as an animal research facility. Now Quarantine Station access is restricted. Old army barracks and weapons batteries still remain.
Fort Ticonderoga: 1756, Essex County, Ticonderoga. Built by the French as Fort Carillon, and partially destroyed by them in their withdrawal of 1759. Rebuilt as Fort Ticonderoga 1759-60 by British, captured by Americans in 1775, Gen. Washington sent its cannons to lift the siege of Boston, by Gen Knox. Recaptured by British in 1777 enroute to Saratoga. Dismantled after Burgoyne's surrender. Bought by William Pell. His Great Great Grandson, Stephen Pell, began reconstruction in 1908. The Fort Ticonderoga Associationan was established in the 1930s, and continues to restore and operate the fort as a historic site.
Fort Tilden: 1917-1974, Queens County, Rockaway Peninsula. A 317 acre Coastal Defense Post established in 1917. Initial WW1 installations included a Mortar Battery of 4- 12 inch mortars, an East Battery named Battery Fergusson with two 6 inch rapid fire guns, and West Battery named Battery Kessler with two 6 inch rapid fire guns. In 1921-49 Battery Harris with two 16 inch guns were added. Later paired with the Navesink Battery on Sandy Hook, NJ, with similar guns. World War 2 also saw the installation of a twin 90 mm Anti Motor Torpedo Boat (AMTB) gun emplacement, installation of coincidence range finders and plotting rooms at the batteries, and a Harbor Entrance Command Post. 1955-1958 Nike-Ajax Site (NY-49), upgraded in 1958-74 as Nike-Hercules. All now part of Gateway National Recreation Area. Remains of some IFC and Launcher areas, gun emplacements and bunkers. These areas are closed to the public for safety reasons.
Tilden, Fort Mortar Battery
Fort Tilden Mortar Battery: Located inside the confines of the adjacent Naval Air Station Rockaway, Fort Tilden's temporary mortar battery consisted of four 12-inch mortars. The four guns were transferred from the eight gun Battery Piper, at Fort Hamilton, in Brooklyn, N.Y., and installed in April of 1917. These four guns along with the four Model M1900 6-inch guns on pedestal mounts were the first armament to be installed at Fort Tilden during World War I.
Fort Tompkins (1): 1860, Staten Island. The site was first fortified with a 1663 blockhouse and then during the Revolutionary War as the American redoubt Flagstaff Fort (1776), taken by the British it was enlarged and used to 1783. NYS started a masonry fort in 1807 - 1812. In the early 1840s Cpt. R.E. Lee from Fort Hamilton proposed rebuilding the Staten Island works, which was done in 1860 and named for Governor Daniel Tompkins. Controlled Forts Morton, Hudson, and Richmond (Water Battery, later Battery Weed). Later included as part of Fort Wadsworth.
Camp Tompkinsville: 1860s, Staten Island. Also called Camp McClellan for General George McClellan. Temporary Civil War encampment. Renamed Camp Tompkinsville after McClellan fell out of respect. Exact location needed.
Tonawanda Blockhouse: 1812, Erie County, Tonawanda. One small blockhouse existed on the south shore of the Tonawanda Creek at the War of 1812. A trick with marching troops prevented attack in 1812, but in December 1813 the blockhouse and unnamed settlement were burned. The settlement eventually became Niagara Village and later split into Tonawanda (Erie County) and North Tonawanda (Niagara County).
Fort Totten: 1862, Queens County. Started in 1857 with plans prepared by Cpt. R.E. Lee, constructed in 1862 as a Civil War-era military installation constructed to defend the eastern approach to New York Harbor via the East River, but not completed. Shown on 1871 map as Fort Willets (Willets Point). Named for Joseph Gilbert Totten a Military Engineer from New Haven in 1788. Improved about 1900 with long range coastal guns and became the chief fort for protection of the "back door" to NYC opposite Fort Schuyler. Status of batteries in 1921 was; Battery King, 8 - 12" Mortars Battery Mahan, 2 - unknown, likely 10" or 12" disappearing or non Battery Graham, 2 - unknown, likely 10" or 12" disappearing or non Battery Sumner, 2 - unknown, likely 10" or 12" disappearing or non Battery Stuart, 2 - unknown, likely 3" Battery Baker, 2 - 3" Pedestal, 2 positions vacant Battery Burnes, 2 - 3" Pedestal Anti-Aircraft, 2 - 3" Electric Mines and Army School of Submarine Defense until 1907. In 1922 built the prototype U.S. Anti-aircraft installation. During WW2 was Antiaircraft Artillery Headquarters for Eastern Defense Command. In 1944 base of the North Atlantic Wing of the Air Transportation Command, 1949 Headquarters for NY-NJ Sub-Area Command. In about 1954 became the Headquarters, 1st Region ARADCOM, for the NIKE Systems around New York City. ARADCOM 1st Region deactivated about 1974. Of late a major U.S. Army Reserve post, now in transition to civilian use.
Camp Townsend: 1882, Westchester County, Peekskill. Named for Major General Frederick Townsend, Adjutant General of NY, who established the camp in 1882. Used as a Spanish-American War Mobilization Camp in 1898. Renamed Camp Smith about 1913.
Fort Tyler: 1898, Suffolk County, Gardiner's Island. Transferred to the War Department in 1898 and converted into a small coastal defense positions on the tip of Gardiner's Island at the entrance to Gardiner's Bay. Closed in the late 1920s. Status of batteries in 1921 was; Battery Smith, 2 - 8" Disappearing, 2 - 5" Pedestal. Used as a Naval bombing range during WW2. Sold to private interests after the war.
Fort Tyron: 1776, Manhattan, Hudson River, North end of Washington Heights. The northern outpost of Fort Washington named Forest Hill Redoubt by the Patriots. Fell 16 Nov 1776. The British erected Fort Tryon on the site in 1778/79 with barracks garrisoned by the Coldstream Guards 1779/80. Abandoned when the British evacuated NYC. Now Fort Tryon Park, with an observation platform, flagpole, and commemorative plaques. Site of Margaret "Molly" Corbin's manning of her fallen husband's gun.