Dannemora Atlas F, Site #9, 1961-65, Clinton County, Dannemora. see Atlas F for detailed information.
Fort Dayton, 1776, Herkimer County, Herkimer. North side of Mohawk River at West Canada Creek. Occupied site of earlier Old Fort Herkimer, a wooden blockhouse from French and Indian War, with "current" Fort Herkimer two miles east of Fort Dayton. German Flats was raided and burned in September 1778 and Fall of 1780, but the people were in the forts. After the destruction of Fort Stanwix in May 1781 Fort Dayton was the most westerly outpost. Abandoned and in ruins after the war, a mansion erected in 1884 is on the site. This was contributed by Ken D. Johnson, Fort Plank Historian and author of The Bloodied Mohawk: Fort Dayton was indeed constructed in 1776, by troops of the Fourth New Jersey Regiment under the command of Colonel Elias Dayton. Joseph Bloomfield, an officer in Dayton's Regiment states that the fort was named after the Colonel and that the fort was so badly located, a second fortress had immediately erected to prevent the British from seizing it in the same manner they did Mount Independence on Lake Champlain. Thus, a heavy blockhouse was built on a hill overlooking Fort Dayton to protect it from bombardment from above. Contemporary maps suggest that the works included a church which was located in the now northern part of the Village of Herkimer. This material is covered further in The Bloodied Mohawk published in June of 2000 by Picton Press of Camden, Maine and in an article entitled "In Defense of the Facts."
De Nonville, Fort
Fort de Nonville, 1687, Niagara County, Youngstown. Governor de Nonville spent the summer of 1687 engaged in an impressive, if futile, campaign against Seneca villages in the Genessee Valley near the site of modern Rochester, New York. Houses and crops were destroyed , but few warriors were captured or killed. To complete his attempt to pacify the Iroquois, de Nonville moved his army to the mouth of the Niagara River. There he established a fort on the site of Fort Conti (1679). Within a few weeks a fort of bales with four bastions was built July 1687, enclosing eight buildings, and christened Fort de Nonville. Then, leaving 120 (or 100) men under Captain Pierre de Troyes to hold the post for the winter, the Governor and his army returned to Montreal. With inadequate winter provisions 80 died (or 12 survived). Relieved in April 1688, but still under siege by Senecas, the fort was abandoned in August, and the Senecas burned the fort.
Decatur Blockhouse, 1814-1815, Rockaway Peninsula, Kings County. One of several blockhouses for the defense of NY Harbor ordered by Gen Joseph Smith, Chief of Engineers. (Bath Beach, Utrecht Bay, Denyse's Heights, Princess Bay, Jamaica Bay - Decatur) Records are not clear that all of the sites were constructed. Decatur (named for Captain Decatur) to guard Jamaica Bay at Rockaway. Records indicate the 41st Regiment a Company of NYS Sea Fencibles of 60 - 100 troops with one 24 pounder were stationed here December 1814 to March 1815. The tip of the peninsula has moved west since 1814, the site is about at the present Beach 137th Street.
Decker, Fort Martinus
Fort Martinus Decker, 1779, Orange County, Port Jervis. A fortified farmhouse near or on the Delaware River. Rebuilt house stands on West Main Street. Raid July 1779 burned the upper story and stockade.
Decker's Ferry Fort
Decker's Ferry Fort, 1779, Staten Island, Port Richmond. The British used the burned stone house of a Tory named Decker to create a fort January 1779. Described as a stone house fortified with loopholes and abatis. Located opposite Bayone Neck facing today's Bayonne-Staten Island ferry landing in Port Richmond on Kill van Kull.
(1): 1776, Kings County, Brooklyn,Red Hook. Battle of Long Island, Aug 1776. Occupied in April 1776, a redoubt for 15 cannons to guard Buttermilk Channel. A second redoubt was added called Smith's Barbette. Destroyed September 1776. Site near present Dwight and Beard Streets. (2): Another name for Middle Fort 1780, see Middle Fort.
Mount Defiance, 1777, Essex County, Ticonderoga. Occupied by General Burgoyne with cannons from nearby Mount Hope Fort. This position forced the Americans at Fort Ticonderoga to abandon the fort in July 1777.
Fort Delaware, 1760, Pennsylvania. On the Delaware River, also called Lower Fort (2), across from Fort Cochecton, Sullivan Co., NY. This is not a NYS Fort but is listed as it was teamed with one in NY.
Denyse's Heights Blockhouse
Denyse's Heights Blockhouse, 1814-1815, Kings County, Brooklyn. Identified as west end of Long Island, the heights above Denyse Wharf (opposite Fort Lafayette) and Denyse Ferry is now encompassed by Fort Hamilton. One of several blockhouses for the defense of NY Harbor ordered by Gen Joseph Smith, Chief of Engineers. (Bath Beach, Utrecht Bay, Denyse's Heights, Princess Bay, Jamaica Bay - Decatur) Records are not clear that all of the sites were constructed. Probably blockhouse referred to as part of Fort Lewis 1814 on Denyse Heights.
Des Sables, Fort
Fort Des Sables, 1717, Monroe County, Irondequoit. Stockaded French fort by Joncaire as trading post with Seneca Indians. Northwest corner of Irondequoit Bay, North East of Rochester. Site destroyed by construction of Route 590 Expressway.
Fort Devens, 1757, Sullivan County, 1 1/2 mile north of Wurtsboro. One of a chain of blockhouses.
Fort Dewitt, 1757. Orange County, Town of Deerpark. One of five built for Orange and Ulster County Militia.
Deyo's Hill, Fort
Fort Deyo's Hill, 1757, Ulster County, US Route 209 North of Kerhonkson, Town of Rochester. One of a series of blockhouses.
Fort Diamond, Earlier name for Fort Lafayette in New York Harbor.
Dobbs Ferry, Forts
Dobb's Ferry Forts, 1776, Westchester County, Dobbs Ferry. On the east bank of the Hudson, opposite Tallman Mountain State Park (on the west bank). Fortified by Americans early in 1776. When the British occupied NYC this was too close to their lines and King's Ferry at Stony Point was used. The main fortification was on a horseshoe shaped projection overlooking the east shore ferry landing, and included at least two minor redoubts. The British held the vacated post for a short time after retreating from the battle of White Plains, but it was apparently reoccupied by patriots in January 1777. In 1780 a wood and stone blockhouse 1500 feet north of the west shore landing was added (just south of the park).
Dolson Blockhouse, 1735, Orange County, Middletown. Originally a fortified log house. 1750s errected a blockhouse and fortified stone house for protection during French and Indian raids.
Camp Drum, 1951, Jefferson County, Watertown. Originally Pine Camp (see Pine Camp for earlier history), renamed Camp Drum in 1951 after Lt. Gen. Hugh A. Drum who commanded the First Army during World War II. During and after the Korean Conflict a number of units were stationed and trained here to take advantage of the terrain and climate. Since its earliest existence the post has been a major annual training site for Northeastern National Guard and Reserve forces.
Fort Drum, 1974, Jefferson County, Watertown. Camp Drum was designated Fort Drum in 1974 and a permanent garrison was assigned. In January 1984, the Department of the Army announced it was studying selected Army posts to house a new light infantry division. On September 11, 1984, the announcement was made that Fort Drum would be the new home of the 10th Light Infantry Division. The first division troops arrived at Fort Drum on December 3, 1984 and the unit was officially activated on February 13, 1985. The name was changed to the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) at that time. The division reached full strength in 1989. Between 1986 and 1992, 130 new buildings, 35 miles of roads, and 4,272 sets of family housing units were built at a cost of $1.3 billion. See also Pine Camp and Camp Drum.
(1) 1705, Ulster County, New Paltz, Huguenot Street. Huguenot Palisaded community. DuBois stone dwelling had two gun ports and lookout window. (2): 1779, Schoharie County, Cobleskill. Blockhouse erected in April-July by Col. Lewis DuBois. Located on high ground near current Main Street about one mile east of Cobleskill's center. The fort's palisade enclosed nearly 3 acres. A major attack by Onondagas May 1779 resulted in the destruction of the fort and all of Cobleskill.
Dudley's Battery, 1812-14, Erie County, Buffalo. Just North of Ferry Street, no description of guns mounted. Gibson's Battery to its South, and Swift's Battery to its North. See also Buffalo Batteries for a complete listing of batteries at this time.
Dutch Church Fort
Dutch Church Fort, 1770's, Staten Island, Port Richmond. A fortified stone church of unknown date, destroyed in January 1780 by General Stirling raid.
Camp Dutchess, 1862, Dutchess County, Poughkeepsie. Located one mile Northeast of Courthouse. Temporary Civil War encampment for Dutchess County Regiment that was part of 150th NY Vol Inf.