4th New York Infantry Regiment's Civil War Historical Sketch

From The 3rd Annual Report Of The Bureau Of Military Statistics

The Fourth Regiment, Infantry, N. Y. S. V., or "First Regiment Scott Life Guard," was organized in the city of New York, under the auspices of the "Veteran Scott Life Guard," an association incorporated by the Legislature, March 26, 1861, and composed of persons who had served in the Mexican war.

Company A was raised in New York city by Joseph Henriques,
Company B was raised in New York city by Samuel S. May.
Company C was raised in New York city by James Mooneye.
Company D was raised in New York city by Charles W. Kruger.
Company E was raised in New York city by William B. Parison.
Company F was raised in New York city by John H. Camp.
Company G was raised in New York city by John B. Brahams.
Company H was raised in New York city by William Jameson.
Company I was raised in New York city by John B. Houstain.
Company K was raised in New York city by And. J. Constantine.
Eight companies were mustered into the State service by Maj. Robert Taylor, April 22d, 1861, on which day Edward McK. Hudson was elected Colonel; John D. MacGregor, Lieut. Colonel, and Alfred W. Taylor, Major, whose election was confirmed by the State Board on the 25th; on the 9th of May, the companies recruited for it were formed by the State Board into a regiment, and numbered. Six companies (C, D, E, F, H and K), were mustered into the United States service on May 2d; two companies (A and G), on May 7th; and two companies (B and I), on May 9th; companies A and H were mustere4 by Capt. Truman Seymour, U. S. A., and the other companies by Capt. S. B. Hayman, U. S. A.

On the 13th of May, Col. Hudson having declined, Alfred W. Taylor was elected Colonel, and William Jameson, Major, in place of Taylor promoted. On the 8th of May, 742 United States percussion muskets, pattern 1848, calibre 69, were issued to the regiment by Commissary General Welch; and on the 3d of June 100 common tents and 18 wall tents.

To assist in the organization of the Regiment the Union Defense Committee of New York city expended $3,987.16. The total expenditure by the State, on, behalf of the regiment, exclusive of subsistence and quarters, up to August 15,1861, was $43,897,81.

The regiment left the State, June 3d, 1861, and arrived at Newport News on the 7th of that month. On the 26th of July it was ordered to Baltimore, where it remained until the 31st of August, where it was detailed to guard the Philadelphia and Baltimore Railroad from Havre de Grace to Baltimore. On the 26th of March, 1862, it was relieved and ordered to duty at Fort McHenry, Baltimore, where it remained until the 6th of June, when it proceeded to Suffolk, Va. On the 6th of September it was ordered to Washington. D. C.; left that city on the 11th, and joined the army of the Potomac on the 18th, as a part of Max Weber's brigade, French's division, Sumner's corps. On the 17th it participated in the battle of Antietam, and lost thirty-eight killed, 130 wounded and one missing. From Antietam it moved to Harper's Ferry September 22, where it remained until the 30th of October, when it moved with the army to Falmouth, opposite Fredericksburgh. It participated in the battle of Fredricksburgh, December 13th, and lost six killed, fifty-five wounded, including the Colonel, and seven missing Recrossed the Rappahannock on the 15th, and encamped near Falmouth. During the year 1862 it received nineteen recruits, and lost forty-six men killed in battle, six who died of disease, and twelve who died of wounds received in battle, total seventy-six. It remained at Falmouth until the army moved to Chancellorsville, and participated in the whole of that campaign, narrowly escaping capture with the rest of the brigade on the 1st of May, on the plank road leading to Fredericksburgh,Gen. Hooker having sent Capt. Moore of his staff to bring the brigade back.

It was much applauded for remaining over its time in the campaign, as it willingly did, and was mustered out of service at New York, May 25th, 1863. Its reception in the city of New York on its return, was in every way most gratifying.

Taken from New York (State). Bureau of Military Statistics. 3rd Annual Report of the Bureau of Military Statistics. Albany: The Bureau, 1866, 73-75.