Pvt. Frederick E. Bullis - 106th New York Infantry Regiment

106th NY Infantry
Company G
Civil War
Compiled And Donated By Charles Christian

NEW YORK ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTH REGIMENT OF INFANTRY. St. Lawrence County Regiment. (Three Years) Pvt. Fred W. Bullis Co G. Born 1848. D. 13 May 1926, Santa Rosa. In rural cemetery somewhere unknown. His regiment may have had when he joined no more then a few hundred men in it according to a report in the below.
He saw the following action. He joined Jan 1864 and was discharged with the Regt. in July 1865. Regtiment joined the Army of the Potomac, July 10, 1863, while near Frederick, Md., and with other new material was organized as the 3d division (Carr's) of the 3d corps. This division was transferred in March, 1864, to the 6th corps, and its command given to Gen. Ricketts. While in the 6th corps the regiment saw hard service and almost continuous fighting. At Cold Harbor it lost 23 killed, 88 wounded, and 23 missing,- Lieut.-Col. Charles Townsend and 3 other officers being among the killed. The corps was ordered soon afterward to Maryland, where, at the battle of Monocacy, the regiment sustained another severe loss. It was actively engaged in the Shenandoah Valley, in all the battles of the corps, and then, returning to Petersburg, participated in the final campaign. At Spottsylvania the casualties in the regiment aggregated 6 killed and 32 wounded; at the Opequan, 6 killed, 45 wounded, and 3 missing; and at Cedar creek, 8 killed and 45 wounded. Gen. Ricketts was wounded at Cedar creek, after which the division was commanded by Gen. Seymour." The regiment was mustered out at Washington, D. C., June 22 and 27, 1865. During its term of service it lost 10 officers and 127 men killed and died of wounds; 4 officers and 166 men died of disease, accident, etc., a total of 307, of whom 5 men died in prison. The total enrollment was 1,367, of whom 10 per cent. were killed in action. Source: The Union Army, Vol. 2, p. 126 Reports of Capt. Peter Robertson, One hundred and sixth New York Infantry, of operations September 19-22 and October 19.

CAPT.: In obedience to orders from headquarters First Brigade, Third Division, Sixth Army Corps, calling for a synopsis of the operations of this command in the engagements of the 19th and 22d of September, I have the honor to forward the following report:
At 2 a.m. the morning of the 19th of September this regiment, with the brigade, broke camp at Clifton Heights and took up the line of march in a southwesterly direction for the Opequon Creek, keeping to the right of the Berryville and Winchester pike. At 7 a.m. cannonading was heard in the direction of the crossing, and it was soon found that the cavalry had effected a crossing and forced the enemy back a distance of two miles or more, when the infantry immediately crossed, and following the pike a distance of one mile and a half or more we took up a position on its left, with the right of our regiment resting on the left of the front line of the Second Brigade of the Third Division. Here we remained until about 10 a.m., when the charge was sounded and the regiment moved forward in fine style under a heavy fire from two of the enemy's batteries, which made sad havoc in our ranks. Notwithstanding this terrible fire of shot and shell the men kept steadily on, drove the batteries from their positions, and in conjunction with the rest of the brigade would have captured them had we been supported on the right by the Nineteenth Corps. The failure of this obliged us to fall back some distance. Rallying again, we regained our old position under a heavy fire, capturing in this charge about sixty prisoners, forty of whom we hold receipts for. Holding the position we had thus regained, heavy musketry was kept up till 4 p.m., when, the lines being reformed, we made a second charge, which decided the action of the day. In each charge the One hundred and sixth was in the front line, and too much praise cannot be given to both officers and men for their bravery and steadiness under a murderous fire from both front and flank. In both charges we lost 2 officers wounded and 51 enlisted men killed and wounded, which attests the hard fighting we sustained.
We went into the fight with about 200 muskets. At sunset we entered Winchester and rested for the night.
In the fight of Fisher's Hill this regiment was again in the front line and participated in all the fighting of the brigade and division. This command assisted in the capture of the fort near Fisher's Hill and captured one Parrott gun from the enemy and fifty-eight prisoners, for which we hold receipts. Since then, captain, the actions of this command are well known to you, and in connection with its sister regiments have, I venture to say, reflected high credit to the brigade and its commander.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant, PETER ROBERTSON, Capt., Cmdg. Regt.
Capt. C. H. LEONARD,
Asst. Adjt. Gen., First Brig., Third Div., Sixth Army Corps.

CAPT.: In obedience to orders from headquarters First Brigade, Third Division, Sixth Army Corps, calling for a synopsis of the operations of this regiment during the action of the 19th of October, I have the honor to forward the following report:
At daybreak on the morning of the 19th of October, this regiment, with the brigade, was aroused by heavy musketry firing on our left front, which proved to be an attack in force by the enemy on the left of the Eighth Corps. Reveille was immediately sounded, and shortly afterward musketry firing was heard on our right and center. The order to strike tents was then sounded from brigade headquarters, and shortly after orders were received to stand to arms. The brigade was then formed into line, and stood to arms for a few minutes, when orders came for the brigade to move, which it did by the right flank, filing right, and formed into line, fronting toward the Middletown pike. After remaining in this position a short time the brigade was moved to its first line again.
It was then moved again, and formed line of battle with its right near the Middletown pike and fronting toward Strasburg. Here it was broken through and driven back some distance by the retreating columns of the Eighth and Nineteenth Corps, but rallying again, they succeeded in forming a junction with the Second Brigade of the division, when some sharp fighting ensued, the division falling back in good order, closely contesting every foot of ground. This regiment, with part of the brigade, supported Battery M, [Fifth U. S. Artillery,] and succeeded in recapturing two of their pieces of artillery which had been captured from them by the enemy in the early part of the action. This regiment, with the brigade and corps, continued to fall back slowly until beyond Middletown, when the advance of the enemy was checked.
When the advance upon the enemy's lines by our troops was ordered by Maj.-Gen. Sheridan, this regiment was in the front line, which position it continued to occupy during all the subsequent charges made upon the lines of the retreating enemy.
This regiment lost during the action its commanding officer and 2 line officers wounded, also 8 enlisted men killed on the field, and 42 enlisted men wounded.
This regiment had about forty-five recruits, most of whom had joined the regiment only two days previous, and who behaved all through the action in the most praiseworthy manner.
Both officers and men of this and other regiments of the brigade deserve great praise for their cool and a steady bravery during the action. The great number of casualties in a regiment so small as the One hundred and sixth New York Volunteer Infantry plainly shows how stubborn the contest was on that eventful day.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant, PETER ROBERTSON, Capt., Cmdg. Regt.
Asst. Adjt. Gen., First Brig., Third Div., Sixth Army Corps.

Source: Official Records
CHAP. LV.] THE SHENANDOAH VALLEY CAMPAIGN. PAGE 236-90 [Series I. Vol. 43. Part I, Reports, Correspondence, Etc. Serial No. 90.]

Reports of Col. Andrew N. McDonald, One hundred and sixth New York Infantry.
MAJ.: I have the honor to report that the One hundred and sixth Regt. New York Volunteer Infantry left its camp on the morning of the 2d of April, 1865, and with the rest of the brigade participated in the assault upon the enemy's lines. This regiment, with the Tenth Vermont Volunteer Infantry, formed the first line of battle for the brigade and were the first to enter the enemy's lines, assisting to capture about fifteen guns and a large number of prisoners. After the main line of the enemy had been carried the regiment was reformed and wheeled to the left, advancing up the line of works, taking several batteries. The regimental colors were the first to be planted on the second battery taken from the enemy.
The loss in this regiment during the engagement was 9 enlisted men killed and 33 wounded.
The regiment participated in all the movements of the day, building a line of breast-works in front of the town of Petersburg at night.
In the operations of the day this regiment was commanded by Lieut.-Col. Briggs, who was ably assisted by Maj. E. M. Paine, and I would most respectfully request that these officers be recommended for their gallantry and the manner in which they accomplished the duty assigned them. The line officers, without exception, were active and efficient during the entire operations.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant, A. N. McDONALD Col., Cmdg.
Asst. Adjt. Gen., First Brig., Third Div., Sixth Army Corps.
April 10, 1865
MAJ.: I have the honor to make the following report of the operations of this regiment since the morning of the 3d of April until the evening of the 9th of April, 1865:
Leaving the strong lines of works, which we threw up before the city of Petersburg on the night of the 2d, we commenced on the morning of the 3d a series of rapid and fatiguing marches, taking a westerly direction and following closely on the heels of the demoralized and retreating rebels. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday wore away with no incidents of special importance and no battles. Thursday, about 4 p.m., we came suddenly upon the enemy, when, the brigade breaking into a column of regiments, we commenced one of the finest and most successful charges in which it was ever our lot to participate. My regiment was the third line, and gallantly and steadily did it move forward, forgetting all the pains of blistered feet and cramped and stiffened limbs in the excitement of the coming contest. The enemy opened a brisk and heavy fire; still we pressed on, driving them rapidly back for nearly a mile and a half. Here the enemy, taking advantage of a strong position on the opposite side of Sailor's Creek, made a desperate stand to prevent the capture of their trains. My regiment was now placed in the first line of battle, and, moving rapidly forward, we commenced crossing the creek under a galling musketry fire from the enemy. The ground on both sides of the creek was very soft and marshy, the men frequently sinking to their hips in its miry depths.
Here we had 11 men wounded, but one killed. Moving rapidly around to the right after crossing, we were soon on the enemy's left flank, when we were stopped in our gallant advance by the surrender of the enemy.
The conduct of both the officers and men of this regiment was highly meritorious. Early Friday morning we again resumed the pursuit, marching through the village of Farmville, where we camped for the night. Saturday the pursuit was kept up, and Sunday till about 2 p.m.
when we halted near Clover Hill, and here received the glorious intelligence that Lee had surrendered his whole army. This regiment still remains encamped near Clover Hill.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant, A. N. McDONALD, Col., Cmdg. Regt.
Asst. Adjt. Gen., First Brig., Third Div., Sixth Army Corps.]
Source: Official Records
CHAP. LVIII.] THE APPOMATTOX CAMPAIGN. PAGE 987-95 [Series I. Vol. 46. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 95.]