75th New York Infantry Regiment's Civil War Newspaper Clippings

*** Lieut. BENJAMIN F. THURBER, of the 75th N. Y. Regiment, arrived in town yesterday on a furlough. He was wounded in the knee in the terrible assault on Port Hudson, June 11th. He has been in command of the Company for most of the present year.

The Fight at Port Hudson.
The following details of the assault on Port Hudson on the 14th, are given in a letter dated the 17th utl., to the N. Y. Herald:
Saturday evening the order of attack was determined upon at headquarters and communicated to the generals who were to command the assaulting columns. Most of the details were arranged by General Grover. The point of attack was the extreme northeasterly angle of the enemy's breastworks. Five or six days previous to the assault several pieces of the enemy's artillery, which had been in position behind their fortifications, immediately in our front, were dismounted by our guns and abandoned. Those still in position were rendered useless to the rebels by our sharpshooters. 
The works consist of an abattis of felled trees for at least 100 yards, then a ditch of 50 feet wide, with four to six feet of water in it, then the glacis of about 20 feet high, sloping gradually to the parapet, on which is a protection for sharpshooters, behind this, say 200 yards, is another line of works on which heavy and field artillery is mounted.
The plan of assault was briefly as follows: the 75th N. Y. under command of Capt. Gray, and the 12th Ct. led by Lieut. Col. Peck, were detailed as skirmishers, forming a separate command, under Lieut. Col. Babcock, of the 75th N. Y. The 91st N. Y., Col Van Zandt commanding—each soldier carrying a five-pound grenade, with his musket thrown over his shoulder—followed next in order. The skirmishers were to creep up and lie in the exterior slope of the enemy's breastworks, while the regiment carrying the grenades were to come up to the same position and throw over the grenades into the enemy's lines, with a view to rout them and drive them from behind their works. The 24th Ct. with their arms in like manner to the grenade regiment, followed, carrying sand bags filled with cotton, which were to be used to fill up the ditch in front of the enemy's breastworks, to enable the assaulting party the more easily to scale them and charge upon the rebels. Following these different regiments came, properly speaking, the balance of Gen. Weitzel's whole brigade, under command of Col. Smith, of the 114th N. Y. The two divisions—Gen. Weitzel's and Gen. Paine's were under command of Gen. Grover, who planned the whole assault after Gen. Bank's order to advance was received by him. Hence the mode of attack was entirely his own. Gen. Weitzel's division was expected to make a lodgement inside, of the enemy's works, and in that manner prepare the way for Gen. Paine's division. After the inside of the enemy's fortifications had been reached skirmishers were to push forward and clear the way while both columns were to be deployed in line of battle and move towards the town of Port Hudson, where a grand citadel which forms the last means of rebel defense, is situated. 
After the advance of the 75th and 91st regiments, Gen. Weitzel's entire command commenced moving forward. Several days previous our army engineers had been preparing a covered way, which extended from the woods where our troops lay up to within about 150 yards of the enemy's position. Through this our troops marched in single file up to the point where the first line of battle was formed. Our troops as soon as they had left the cover of the woods, which were scarcely 300 yards from the enemy's breastworks, were subject to the constant fire of the rebel infantry. A portion of our artillery, which was planted some distance in the rear of our advancing forces, kept up a continuous fire at the rebel works. After our skirmishers had picked their way up to within about 30 yards of the enemy's works, they sprang into the ditch, expecting to be able to shelter themselves under the cover of the rebel fortifications, and keep the enemy down while the regiment, with the hand grenades, should advance and perform their part of the work in driving the rebels from their position. The portion of the 75th which succeeded in reaching the ditch were immediately repulsed, and nearly all of them were either killed or wounded. In consequence of the repulse of the portion of the 75th that succeeded in reaching the ditch, the hand grenades could accomplish but little. In fact, although they made many desperate and gallant attempts to be of service, they rather damaged than benefitted [sic] our prospects of success; for as they threw their grenades over the rebel breastworks the rebels actually caught them and hurled them back among us. Meanwhile Gen. Weitzel was making a series of desperate but fruitless attacks. Gen. Dwight's loss in killed and wounded will probably exceed 200. Augur's loss will fall considerably short of that number. The most desperate fighting was done by Gen. Weitzel's old brigade. Col. Smith, leading these veterans, the heroes of many fights, fell early in the action, mortally wounded. A ball pierced his spine and passed round to the right side. The rebel glacis was the worst barrier. Brigade after brigade stormed the works, but all were repulsed.
The fighting ceased at 11 o'clock in the morning. We, having been repulsed in every assault, our soldiers under command of their officers, laid themselves down under the shelter of the gullies, trees, covered ... in fact ...
... way--in fact, everything that could afford them protection, and waited for the day to pass and darkness come on. Our total loss in this attack upon Port Hudson will probably not fall much short of 1,000. Gen. Gardner was in command, and rebel deserters report him to have been very drunk on the day of the fight. They say so long as there is any whisky in the place he will not surrender Port Hudson.
The fight on the part of Gen. Dwight's command was exceedingly severe, and scarcely less so with Gen. Grover's. The charges made on the rebel works by our brave soldiers showed a determination to carry them at all hazards; but human bravery on this occasion was not adequate to the accomplishment of their object—The most formidable obstacle that presented itself as a barrier to our success was the rebel glacis, which at the point attacked had been constructed in such a manner as to make evey [sic] bullet tell that was fired from the rebel breastworks while our troops were endeavoring to make the ascent.
Immediately upon the fall of Col. Smith, Lieut. Col. Von Petten, of the 160th N. Y., took command of the brigade, and gallantly led the charge until all further hope of driving the rebels from their position was gone. Brigade after brigade followed in rapid succession storming the rebel works, until compelled to fall back under the terrible fire of the enemy. Conspicuous among the brigades that did the most desperate fighting were those under the command of Col's Kimball, Morgan and Birge. They were all, however, eventually repulsed with great slaughter. 
Many of our wounded who were accessible were carried from the field by squads detailed for that purpose. It is a shameful reflection on humanity, that a large number of our soldiers, carrying the wounded and dying from the field on stretchers, were shot down by the enemy, and in several instances the wounded were killed while being borne from the field—at nightfall, however, we commenced the burial of our dead, and succeeded before the morning in carrying most of our wounded from the battle ground.

Death of Lieut. William E. Avery.
From the Seeneca Co. [Farmerville] Sentinel.
The following letter rsceived [sic] from Capt. Fitch, dated Brashear City, La., May 31, 1863, and directed to Hon. E. B. Morgan, was received in this place on Wednesday evening:
HON. E. B. MORGAN—Dear Sir: It is with a sad heart that I write you that WILLIAM E. AVERY is no more. He was instantly killed by a bullet passing through his heart while gallantly leading his company on the works at Port Hudson. I have caused his remains to be enclosed in a metalic [sic] case, and put in the receiving vault in New Orleans, subject to my order. In consequence of his lying on the battle field two days before he could be removed, his remains could not be embalmed. His trunk and sword are here at my house. I telegraphed the Purser of the Morning Star at the Passes, to let you know immediately on her arrival in New York. I would suggest some one coming here for the remains, in about six weeks, and if possible an escort will be sent with him. Our regiment is reported badly cut up. I do not know the particulars, as all news from the field of battle is suppressed. We have lost a large number of officers of all grades.
Please say to Mr. Avery, all that could be done for Will, was done, and I assure you if he had been my brother, I could feel the loss no greater than I do. 
Please inform me as to the wishes of his father, and they shall be faithfully executed. 
I am, Sir, Yours respectfully, 
HENRY B. FITCH, Capt., 75th N. Y.
The above intelligence spread like an electric shock through the village and surrounding country where Lieut. Avery had been so long and favorably known. The village flags were lowered to half mast, and it became the theme of general remark, many hastening to express their heartfelt sympathy with the family who have lost an honored son and a devoted brother. He was one of the first of our young men who enlisted to resist the inroads of treason and rebellion, and gathered around him many of our best, and who have proved our bravest young men, to fill the ranks of the 75th Regiment. The sword, to which allusion is made, was the gift of the ladies of Farmer, with whom he had long associated, before his departure from among us and manfully has he redeemed the pledge of the evening when he said, it should be his purpose "to make it do service for them in their country's cause, to see that it flinch not in the day of strife, or ever be disgraced in the hand to which by you it has been committed. That sword as it returns to be looked upon once more by those who gave it as an offering of personal regard and patriotic feeling, will never reproach the hand that wielded it as in any way unworthy to bear it. For some time Lieut. Avery had been in command of the company, which Capt. Fitch was acting as Provost Marshal, and would in all probability have succeeded to the permanent command, had not death soon released him. He was held in high esteem both among officers and his own men, and from various sources we hear him commended as a genial friend and daring soldier. He was favored with a commission for the recruiting service for his own Regiment, which caused his presence with us for a time during the past season, and looking upon the loved ones he prized so dearly, as it has proved for the last time, he returned to participate in the recent struggles of the South-West, and to end his career in that engagement which promises to be one of the most brilliant achievements of the war. His name will be embalmed in fond memories of those who have fought by his side, and of the friends who mourn the loss of one so well-beloved, for not Capt. Fitch alone can say "if he had been my brother, I could feel the loss no greater than I do." The country, too, will not suffer to fall unheeded those who peril their lives to preserve that which was secured to us through the bloody conflicts of the Revolution, but will shed a halo of glory around the spot where a soldier has died.
The afflicted family have, we believe, the sympathy of the whole community, and may we each, like him, wherever duty calls, and true manhood may assert itself, be ready to do and dare, and if need be to die.

The inspection of the balance of the Seventy-fifth regiment of Rifles took place yesterday, and the roll was forwarded to the Military Department at Albany for acceptance. Colonel McCunn says there is no doubt that the "Rifles" will be accepted, and that they will probably be mustered into the service towards the end of the week.
A telegraphic despatch was received from Albany yesterday, that this regiment had been accepted by the Governor, and would be put in commission forthwith. The regiment, which is commanded by Colonel (City Judge) John H. McCunn, is now in quarters at Broadway Park, Ninety-fifth street.

ALBANY, May 15, 1861.
Colonel McCunn's Seventy-fifth rifle regiment has been this day accepted, and ordered for immediate service. Captain Kavanagh goes down this afternoon with orders. 
Capt. Henry B. Fitch, of Co. F., 75th N. Y. V., has arrived from Port Hudson, with the remains of the late Lieut. Avery. 
He reports that the so called repulse at Port Hudson, and the extensive movements of reinforcements, &c., arose out of a mere reconnoisance for the purpose of unmasking batteries. No batteries were found, and the party retired, having through disobedience of their commander been drawn into a cross-fire of the enemy. The reported capture of five companies of cavalry by the rebels, is also whittled down by truth to the loss of about 20 men from our cavalry.

Advertiser and Union.
Local, Literary, Miscellaneous.
Auburn, June 15, 1863.
Letter to Lieutenant Warden Accompanying the list of Killed and Wounded
in the 75th Regiment.
Headquarters 75th Regiment N. Y. V.
In the field near Port Hudson.
DEAR FRIEND.—The old Seventy fifth has just passed through one of the hardest fought battles of the war, and knowing how anxious you will be to hear from them, I will give you a few lines and a list of killed and wounded which you can have published. We have driven them from all their land fortifications, rifle pits, breast works &c., except the last one around the city, and that is almost impassible. Our regiment was two nights and three days in advance, and held one of the most important positions in the front, without a moment's sleep or rest, but has now been relieved by the 8th New Hampshire and is in the rear resting. Reinforcements are arriving almost every hour. The 21st Indiana's heavy guns and all our batteries are getting into positions to command their last line of works, and in the hour when they least expect them, they will find General Banks's gang of Yankees in possession of that strong hold "Port Hudson." Poor Avery was among the first to fall, the juglar [sic] vein in his neck was cut by a canister ball, killing him instantly. Capt. Hubbard was killed in the early part of the first day's fight by a rifle ball through the temple. You know how they were loved by all, and how they will be missed. Lieut. Rodnoskey was killed from behind the same stump where I was loading and firing a rifle, he raised his head just enough to look over the stump at the devils through his glass when he was struck in the forehead by a rifle ball killing him instantly. I presume you will doubt it some when I tell you that I fired two hundred and forty-six rounds of cartridges the first day of the fight, some of the boys in your company fired even more than that. You will hear more news and particulars through the papers than I can write. George Robinson has left us and joined his regiment, the 1st La. Engineers, as Major. Tuller has tendered his resignation and I presume will go home, he is now in New Orleans. I cannot close without speaking of the bravery and coolness of Colonel Babcock during the entire fight. He grows better and better every day as a commanding officer, and we all feel safe as long as he leads us. Your 1st Seargent [sic] had his morning report in his pocket when killed, the ball passing through it.
From your friend,
J. W. H., JR.

1st Lieut. William E. Avery, Comd'g Co. F.
1st Sergeant, William H. Storke, Co A.
Sergeant Almerian, H. Earll, act'g 1st Sergeant, Co. C.
Serg. Lyman Hill, (reg'l color Serg.) Co. D.
Patrick Dwyer, Co. B.
Leander W. Lawrence, Co. D.
John Donnelson, Co E.
John H. Burr, Co. F.
Peter Hoy, Co. F.
James M. Seamans, Co. G.
Rob't Lusk, Co. I.
1st Lieut. Geo. D. Robinson, Co. D, act'g Adjutant.
Serg. Lucius G. Draper, Co. A, slightly.
Corporal Roselle B. Howe, Co. A, a hand slight.
Darwin B. Beebee, Co. A, back, slight.
Coy Clark, Co. A, a leg, severe.
Edwin H. Constant, Co. A, a shoulder, severe.
George W. Crocker, Co. A, breast, severe.
Chas A. Hinman, Co. A., arm, severe.
Wm. Newman, Co A, face, slight.
Cornelius O'Donohue, Co A, side, severe.
George Roberts, Co A, hand, slight.
John Wilcox, Co A, a leg, slight.
David Wilcox, Co. A, slightly.
Daniel S. Devoe, Co A, slightly.
John F. Morgan, Co A, slightly.
Stewart Dewey, Co A, slightly.
Adolphus Bacon, Co B, slightly.
Allen C. Bessy, Co B, hand, slight.
Warren O. Paddock, Co B, hand, severe.
Dorr E. Parker, Co B, leg, severe.
Wm Harvey Rich, Co B, two in chest and in leg, severe.
Wm. H.Taylor, Co B, face, slight.
Sergt. Merwin Waight, Co D, hand, slight.
Corporal, Reynolds Griffin, Co D, ear, slight.
Charles Strong, Co D, thigh, severe.
Color corporal, Myron Herman, Co D, shocked, severe.
Daniel Anthony, Co D, hand, slight.
Daniel Fenner, Co D, knee, severe.
James McKillop, Co D, leg, slight.
Michael O'Brien, Co D, thigh severe.
Michael Sullivan, Co D, leg.
Gilbert S. Warn, Co D, thigh, severe.
David Wilson, Co B, head, slight.
Charles Stoll, Co D, hand slight.
1st Lieut. Francis A. Hopping, comd'g Co E, both legs, slight.
Serg. Chas A Leonard, Co E, shoulder, slight.
David Burns, Co E, face, severe.
John M Coffinger, Co E, arm, severe.
George Erhart, Co E, knee.
Stephen Mosher, Co E, twice, arm, slight.
John Hoffman, Co E, arm severe.
James Sprague, Co F, hip, severe.
Sanford Tucker, Co F, hip, slight.
Daniel J Hutchinson, Co F, leg, slight.
Harlan Perkins, Co F, shoulder.
James McCarthy, Co F, leg, slight.
James Huntington, Co G, chest, severe.
Albert M. Acker, Co G, leg, slight.
August Kapel, Co G, leg. slight.
Musician, Richard H Roberts, Co G, slightly.
Sergeant John T Rodgers, Co H, arm, severe.
Corporal Edgar W Gilbert, hand, severe.
Elijah Barner, Co H, hand, slight.
Albert Snyder, Co H, foot, severe.
Daniel E. Taylor, Co H, arm, severe.
William E Barnhart, Co H, head, since died.
Clark Grant, severe, Co H, leg, severe.
Corporal Samuel Troop, Co I, arm, slight.
James Nickerson, Co I, arm, severe.
Simeon Oakley, Co I, hand, severe.
John Palmer, Co I, leg, severe.
Elliott Austin, Co I, leg, slight.
Henry Peckham, Co I, back, slight.
Levi C Bennett, Co I, arm, slight.
Henry Lay, Co I, hip, slight.
Ezra W. Huntley, Co I, groin, severe.
Serg. John H Smith, Co K, side, slight.
Corp. Albert W. Smith, Co K, leg, slight.
Paul Maxium, Co K, abdomen, severe.
William Wilson, Co K, face, severe.
Truman Greenfield, Co K, leg, severe.
Marcus A. Wheeler, Co K, leg, slight.
George Siddons, Co K, face, slight.
Francs Hempstreet, Co K, hip, slight.
Killed, 11
Wounded, 74
Total, 85

The following letter conveying the sad intelligence of the death of Lieut. Luther T. Hutchinson was received by his brother, C. B. Hutchinson, Esq., of this city, on Saturday.
New Orleans, La., June 15th, 1863.
MR. HUTCHINSON—Dear Sir—I have just arrived in the city from above Port Hudson, having brought down the body of your dear brother Luther, who fell yesterday morning, only a few hours after day break, while leading his company in the second attack on Port Hudson, shot through the head with a rifle ball, which killed him instantly.
His body has been brought here to be taken care of so that it may be sent to you for interment at the earliest opportunity; all the expenses (as is customary in our Regiment,) to be paid by the officers of the Regiment. Being short of officers in the Regiment, especially in certain companies, your brother was some two months ago assigned to Company C, which he has had command of during that time, and during the charge on their works yesterday morning he was bravely and gallantly leading on his company, and had passed over all the works save the last intrenchment, when he received his death shot. His loss is and will continue to be felt in the regiment by all, as few of our officers had as many friends as he, especially among the enlisted men, with whom he was so long associated as 1st Sergeant, of company D.
While you mourn for your dear brother, remember that his regiment to a man mourns in sympathy with you.
Yery respectfully yours,
J. W. HAIGHT, Jr.,
Serg't Major, 75th N. Y.
P. S. Lt. Col. Babcock has a flesh wound in the left leg. Capt. Savery and Lieut. Crocker have flesh wounds in the arm, Lieut. Thurber is shot through the knee. Our loss among the men very heavy, and still the fight is not over.

From the 75th Regiment. 
In the Field near Alexandria
May 9th, 1863.
FRIEND PAIN:—As our brigade has halted for a few days, in order that the men might have a chance to rest before proceeding farther, we will, according to promise, relate some of the most important events which have occurred under our own personal observation.
In our last letter, we spoke of the skirmish we had with the rebels and of our withdrawal from the scene of action to a corn field near by, where we remained for the night. Early next morning without even partkning [sic] of our usual dram of coffee, we commenced our march and passed by the enemy's entrenchments and found they had even avacuated [sic] the night previous. In a space of forty feet square was counted forty dead horses and the same number of the enemies dead, they having left in such haste as to leave their dead unburried [sic] on the field. They also left a smooth bore 32 pounder siege gun unharmed upon the fort, while one light 12 pounder lay near by. It having been dismounted by our fire the previous day.—We kept up a close pursuit until we arrived at Franklin, which is a beautiful town situated on the Tetche, and is about the size of Wolcott. The inhabitants many of them having left, not because they were secessionists, but they have a wrong opinion of the Yankee Army, were foolish enough to believe we were coming among them to rob them of their property, to kill them, &c.; but many of them have already discovered their mistake and have returned, taken the oath of allegiance and are protected by the United States Government.
During the day we passed by several rebel camps where tents were left standing—went one mile from town and camped for the night. Gen. Grover with his division was ordered around up through Grand Coke to Franklin, where, if possible, he was to effect a landing and proceed to a place where the forks of the road met and formed the union road, also the place where the rebels would have to pass in order to effect their escape from a pursuing foe, and bag them as they approached. The rebels were notified of this movement and sent a brigade to oppose their landing; a heavy battle of two hours ensued, when the main force of the rebels gave Gen. Grover the slip and the remaining force quietly fell back joining their brethren and kept retreating as our force advanced. We succeeded in pickup about 500 stragglers that day. Here the rebels set fire to the gun-boat Diana, and we arrived in town in season to hear the explosion and witness the large cloud of smoke. Several other transports were destroyed, and one captured, which had on board Lt. Allen, Capt. Jewett and Lt. Francis, those who were so unfortunate as to be wounded and captured at Pattersonville, while the gun-boat Diana. The rebels were in the act of transporting them to a place of security; but the hateful Yankees were so close behind them that they left them behind, and they are now at Brashier City doing well, and in a few weeks we trust they will re-join the regiment. We also captured Sims with thirty of his men making complete work at Franklin, and the 176th regiment was left there. We commenced our pursuit and came to a place about 4 p. m., where the rebels had a splendid dinner in prepaeation [sic] for themselves: but the poor fellows could not tarry, and we had the pleasure, with many others of our regiment, to help eat their dinner. Here we halted for the night, and early next morning we commenced our march and passed by New Iberia at 2 p. m., where we halted for half an hour; here we saw a large furnace where they used to cast shot and shell, but now left with everything in good order, and we found a number of shells within. The gun-boat Heart was burnt at this place and several bales of cotton were strewn through the principal streets. Three miles from the city we camped for the night, and bright and early next morning we continued our pursuit and passed through McLenburg and halted about ten miles outside for the night—continued our march early in the morning and proceeded from thence to Opolousa where we halted for several days. When rested we commenced our march for this place and arrived last evening. Alexandria is a beautiful city about the size of Cl_de, and was, before taken, the rebel Capital of the State—Many of the citizens, as in other places, had left their homes to seek shelter elsewhere. The boys in the Regiment are generally well, and in fine spirits.
J. H. B.

Killed and Wounded of the 75th N. Y. V., 
Sunday, June 14, 1863
2d Lieut. Luther Y. Hutchinson, Comd'g Co C.
Serg't. Orville Monroe (Act. 1st Serg't) Co C.
" Pulaski D Olmstead, Co K.
Corp. Charles Hilliard, Co A.
Private Wadsworth B. Francis, Go A.
" Bishop A. Brown, Co D.
Lt. Col. Willoughby Babcock, 75th N Y V.,
Comd'g 2d Brigade 1st Division.
1st Lieut. Benj. F. Thurber, Comd'g Co A.
Private Benj. F. Ellis, Co A.
" Albert Hatch do
" Henry Johnson do
" Henry Raymond do
" M B Van Etton do
" Chas. Colwell do
Corp. Chas T. Coleman Co B
Private J K P Ashley do
" Geo. T Beardsley do
" Chas Coppernoll do
" Jas I Priddy do
" Ozias Whitcomb do
" David Wilson do
" ___ Withers, Co C
Corp. Wm S Hoxie Co D
Private Dier Moreland do
" H M Slater do
" Simon Ovid do
" Warren O Dobson do
2d Lieut Chas W Crocker Comd'g Co E
Serg't Horace B Babcock (Act'g 1st Sergt)
Co E
Serg't C A Leonard Co E
Private John Pitcher do
" Samuel Paul do
" Volney H Sweeting do
" John Brinkerhoof do
" David Munroe do
" S. Lovell do
Thomas Burmingham do
Corp John H Brink
Private P C Dickinson
" John Mathews do
" W G Turner do
Capt. John E Savery Comd'g Co G
1st Serg't Wm D Jaynes do
Serg't John F Merrill do
Corp H E Jones do
Private Frank Merrill do
" George James do
Serg't Fredrick Cossum Co H
Corp Albert O Remington do
Private Henry Foster do
" Aaron Ward do
Serg't Gilbert L Osborne Co I
Corp Samuel Troop do
" Samuel Haskell do
" Private Chapman do
Serg't Wilber P Sabines Co K
Corp Albert W Smith do
Private Cyrus O Cook do
" James Covert do
" Charles Knapp do
" James Moran do
Private Eli R Wagner Co A
" Patrick Blunt Co D
" Thos McCarthy do
Wm Wheeler do
Corp Silas Barber Co E
Serg't Horace B Woodworth Co H
Private P Jones do
" James H Lefler Co F
" Marvin Hopkins Co G
Serg't Daniel H Wing Co H
Private John Pommer Co H
" Sylvester J White Co K
Killed 6.
Wounded 55.
Missing 12.
Total 73.
— The majority of the missing are probably killed and not found as yet.
J. W. H., JR.

LIEUT. HUTCHINSON.—At the funeral service of Lieut. Hutchinson, Capt. Porter paid a very interesting tribute to the worth of his departed friend. He referred to his steady resistance to all temptations, his constant cheerfulness, fidelity and agreeable companionship, and touchingly included himself among the mourners as one who had known him intimately during the dreary mouths at Santa Rosa, and loved him as a brother.
Rev. Mr. Goss, late Chaplain, was no less impressive in his testimony to the superior character of the departed, beautifully referring to his aspirings not only after knowledge. and a liberal education, but also for a life of usefulness and of exalted excellence.
Rev. Mr. Boardman concluded a brief biographical sketch with the following striking tribute from the pen of Col. Dwight:
June 20, 1863.
MY DEAR BROTHER.—Among the dead of this battle, is numbered my old "first sergeant," since Lieut. Hutchinson, of the 75th. I have so often spoken of him to you, in praise of my old orderly, that I need not testify to you my appreciation of his character and my grief for his loss. He was the best non-commissioned officer I ever knew. As first sergeant of my company during the first year of our service, he performed his whole duty with the utmost industry, fidelity and intelligence, and gained the unanimous and highest approbation of all his superiors. At the same time, although strict and inflexible in duty, he had the confidence and affections of the men. He more than earned his promotion to Lieutenancy for which he was recommended [sic] in July last, though he did not receive his commission until December, and his career as a commissioned officer has fully justified his promotion. Throughout the whole of the late and pending expedition of the 19th Army Corps up to the Atchafalaya and Red River, and before Port Hudson he has been in command of Company C, 75th Regiment, (Capt. Cray being acting Major,) and he has proved himself a most brave, efficient and capable Company commander.
He fell in the thickest battle, leading his company in a desperate charge against the enemy's works at Port Hudson, so near the muzzles of their muskets that the ball and three buckshot of the rebel cartridge entered at one wound in his temple. So exposed was the place in which he fell that it was only by the bravery and devotion of private Jerry Cochlin of Co. D, that his body was recovered. Jerry crept up to the body of his Lieutenant at the risk of his own life, and fastened a line made of gun strings to his foot, by which his comrades were enabled to drag the body from under the deadly fire of the enemy. So we have the body and it shall be sent home as soon as is possible to make it ready. No braver or worthier soldier has fallen in this war than he. His family have reason to be proud of him, and his country to mourn the loss of one of its best and bravest defenders. His death under such circumstances of bravery and devotion is a crowning glory of his long and faithful service.
To unmix the above it is only necessary to state that the 75th is a three years regiment, raised in Cayuga county. The ''two years regiment," the term of service of which recently expired, was the Old Nineteenth, also raised in this county and Seneca, one company having been furnished by Seneca Falls.
The remains of Corporal Ambert O. Remington, of Co. H, 75th Regiment, arrived in Weedsport, last evening. He died from a wound received by a minnie ball, when the regiment to which he belonged was bravely leading the advance in the late attack on Port Hudson. His funeral will be attended in the Presbyterian church at Weedsport, on Thursday July 23d, at 10 1-2 o'clock.

Expect to go into quarters at the commencement of next week. Recruits and officers are requested to assemble to-day at headquarters, 42 Prince street, for consultation and to receive instructions.

THE CAYUGA REGIMENT—The Second Cayuga Regiment, or 75th N. Y. Volunteers, passed through this city about three o'clock Saturday afternoon. The regiment occupied a special train of eighteen passenger and four baggage cars. They expected to arrive in New York by the Knickerbocker from Albany, Sunday morning, and to proceed to Washington, Monday, where it is thought the regiment will be attached to Gen. SUMNER'S Division, on the Potomac. The men were of the right material for the army of the Potomac, tough and intelligent, brave and hardy. They were accompanied by several citizens of Auburn, an escort of honor among the burghers we noticed Mr. ROBINSON, of the Advertiser. The whole number of officers and enlisted men in the regiment is 900. The regimental officers are as follows:
Colonel, John A. Dodge; Lieut. Colonel, Robert B. Merritt; Major, Willoughby Babcock; Adjutant, Edward B. Lansing; Quartermaster, Lewis E. Carpenter; Surgeon, Michael D. Benedict; Assistant Surgeon, Cyrus Powers; Chaplain, Thomas B. Hudson; Sergeant Major, Wm. H. Seymour; Quartermaster Sergeant, George L. Howe; Commissary Sergeant, John N. Knight; Hospital Steward, George Beviere; Military Secretary, Robert C. Perry. Company A, Captain Clinton D. MacDougall; B, Captain Truman K. Fuller; C, Captain William H. Cray; D, Captain Charles C, Dwight; E, Captain Luther Goodrich; F, Captain Henry B. Fitch; G, Captain John E. Savery; H, Captain John Choate; I, Captain Lansing Porter.

THE 75TH.—The following sketch is taken from the Army and Navy Gazette, and gives a good idea of the doings of the gallant regiment of which it speaks:
" The Seventy-Fifth New York was organized at Auburn, N. Y., in the summer of 1861, and constituted a part of the expedition sent to Pensacola, to save that station from the machinations of the rebels under Bragg, occupying Santa Rosa Island during the bombardment of Fort Pickens, and among the first to occupy Pensacola Navy Yard after its destruction and evacuation by the enemy. Transferred from Pensacola to the Department of the Gulf, then under command of Gen. Butler, in which they served in a number of important expeditions against the enemy, prominent among which were the battle of Labadreville, La., on Bayou La Fourche, Oct. 26th, 1862, the engagement with the gunboat Cotton, on Bayou Teche, Jan. 14, 1863, in which a detachment rendered effective service as sharpshooters, picking off the gunners and thus practically compelling its abandonment and destruction in order to save it from falling into our hands; the advance of our forces in the expedition against Camp Besland, April 13th, 1863, and formed part of the brigade, under Gen. Weitzell, that pursued the enemy to a point some twenty miles above Alexandria, La., on the Red River. Returning on transports via Red and Mississippi rivers to Bayou Sara, the 75th constituted a part of the expedition against Port Hudson, during the seige [sic] operations against that stronghold, occupied the place nearest the enemy's works, and was the first regiment to march into the works after their surrender. After the close of that campaign they returned to New Orleans, and started September 4th, 1862, on the Sabine Pass expedition. A detachment of the regiment, consisting of companies B, and G, was acting as sharpshooters on board the gunboat Clifton when she grounded in front of the rebel batteries, and all on board were captured except a few who escaped by swimming. On their return to New Orleans the regiment was converted into mounted infantry, and took part in the second ... learning of the success of Banks in Texas returned to New Ibera, La., where they re enlisted January 1st, 1864, as veteran cavalry, to serve in the Department of the Gulf. Having enjoyed its thirty-day furlough, the regiment is now on its way to the field, ready for any duty that the service may impose upon them as Cavalry."

N. Y. S. V.
CAMP ARNOLD, PENSACOLA, Fla., June 1, 1862.
J. Oakley Vanderpoel, M. D., Surgeon General, S. N. Y.
The health of the Regiment at this time is remarkably good—my sick report this morning showing but twelve in hospital and five in quarters.
You will observe that we have had to discharge but very few men since we have been in service. It has surprised me very much, that so few men have broken down in the process of acclimation, while many young men who were not strong when we left home, have been made rugged by the exercise and exposure of a soldier's life.
We are delightfully quartered here, the men in Sibley tents, well floored; the officers in good houses, left vacant by the Rebels. 
The climate is delightful. The men bathe three times weekly; fresh fish are abundant for the whole command, and nothing is wanting to make us as comfortable as soldiers can expect to be.
I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Surgeon Seventy-fifth Regiment N. Y. Vols.

RE-ENLISTED.—The Seventy-Fifth Regiment, N. Y. S. V. which was raised at Auburn, and part of the men recruited in this county, has re-enlisted and is now on its way home on thirty days furlough.—It is the intention to recruit its thinned ranks if possible, up to its full number of one thousand men. This is one of the Regiments that faced and stormed Fort Hudson, and is commanded by Col. Dodge.

THE 75TH.—Letters from the 75th announce that the regiment is standing out against the order transferring it to infantry. A petition had been forwarded by the regiment to President Lincoln, who promises that their grievances shall be carefully looked into and the truth in the matter elicited. He further promises that they shall have a good position as infantry, or else be retained as a cavalry organization. 
The 75th are now stationed on Arlington Heights, in Gen. Casey's Division, and consequently were not in the movement on Richmond.

The 75th Regiment.
We regret to find that there is still a strong feeling of dissatisfaction prevailing in the 75th Veteran Volunteers. It appears that the regiment re-enlisted under the promise, made by Gen. Banks, that it should serve in the future as Cavalry, and this promise the War Department has been unwilling or unable to perform. We were confident at the time of the outbreak at Auburn, that that discreditable affair was not merely the result of a drunken row, but originated in a deeper feeling. We have received the following from one who professes to be a member of the regiment, but as he does not give his name, we should not know what credit to attach to it, were we not aware from other sources that there has been an unfortunate mistake with regard to this regiment. It has gained a very honorable reputation for its courage, and the fidelity with which it has performed its duties, a reputation which, we trust, it will maintain, even if the members feel that they have just cause for complaint. It has to be remembered that the Government cannot, under the changing circumstances of the war, always perform what the soldier has a just right to ask and expect:
MR. EDITOR:—If there is any one who respects honor it is the soldier—he who has left his home and friends and all who are near and dear to him to fight for the glorious Union.
And, Mr. Editor, in so doing that soldier expects the Government of the United States will see him justified in all his rights, and has he not a reason to expect this? I think so. But we, a regiment of men who have served the United States' Government honestly and faithfully for two years and a half, and have re-enlisted for three years more as Veterans, claim that we have not had these privileges shown us and feel it deeply. 
We re-enlisted at New Orleans as Cavalry, went home on a furlough of thirty days, and, when that had expired, were ordered to report at these head quarters. Here the authorities at the War Department do not recognize [sic] us as Cavalry, inasmuch as we enlisted under a special order of Gen. Banks.
The War Department has issued orders that no soldier shall be enlisted under false pretenses. I would like to know what they can make of this but false pretenses. Had we known that we would have had to serve as infantry, there would not have been money enough in the State of New York to have persuaded us to re-enlist. Had they ordered us to New Orleans, we would have had that branch of the service for which we enlisted. 
I do not think that the Government of the United States can say but what we have always done our duty like men, when in the hour of danger, and will always continue to do so. We were given the post of honor at the surrender of Port Hudson, by an order of Gen. Banks, for our services rendered there, and is this the way the government is going to reward us for our services? I hope not.
There was a committee appointed to call upon Hon. William H. Seward, Secretary of State, inasmuch as the regiment was from his native State, and from his own city Auburn, thinking that perhaps he would use his influence in our behalf, but the reply was that he would do nothing for us, and, moreover, that the officers of the Regiment had said enough about the matter already to dismiss them from the service.
Now, Mr. Editor, I have no doubt, in my mind, that had we been a Regiment of the darker colored men, but he would have used his influence in our behalf. I honestly think he would.
We, however, as soldiers from the county of Cayuga and city of Auburn, thank the Hon. William H. Seward for what he has done for us.
Will you be kind enough to publish this in your paper, and oblige an enlisted man of the 75th N. Y. Vet. Vols.

WOUNDED AT PORT HUDSON.—Eli Wagner, son of Mr. W. W. Wagner, of Jordan, a volunteer in the 75th N. Y. Volunteers, was severely wounded in a charge on Port Hudson on the 14th of June, and in consequence his left leg was amputated just below the knee. He is to come home as soon as he can stand the journey.


Correspondence of the Albany Evening Journal,
NEW ORLEANS, July 29, 1864.
Major JOHN GRAY and his fellow officer's of the One Hundred and Seventy-fifth New York left here this afternoon at 5 o'clock on steamer
W. R. Arthur for Cairo, under orders to report at Washington, and as their nearest route to that city lies directly through Albany, you may expect to see them at home about the 8th of August—perhaps even before you receive this by the George Washington, which leaves here for New York to-morrow morning.
On the Arthur were also five Paymasters relieved from this district after terms of service varying from twelve to seventeen months. Four of them: Majors J. L. CRAMER, of Saratoga, N. Y., J. E. LOFLAND, of Delaware, J. SALLADE, of Pa., and J. W. CARPENTER, of Vt., are to report at Washington, and one—Major A. N. NICHOLDS—at Louisville for duty. Three others leave here in the morning on the steamer for New York, to report at Washington, viz:—Majors H. O. BRIGHAM, of Mass., A. H. HOYT, of New Hampshire, and E. V. PRESTON, of Connecticut. These have all been relieved as their due after long and faithful service in the Department of the Gulf, their places, as far as necessary, having been supplied by officers who have not previously served here.
I send you with this a list of all the officers and men belonging to New York regiments among the returned prisoners of war from Texas. We have still some four to five thousand prisoners in the hands of the Texans and have a large number of theirs here, yet fears are expressed that we shall not be able to negotiate another exchange at present, because of complications caused by the persistent brutal course towards captured colored soldiers.
All the Union elite of the city, both civil and military, were in a high state of excitement, caused by the marriage at Christ Church of Major H. M. PORTER, late Provost Marshal here, to Miss NINA FREMONT, a niece of the General. After the marriage, Mrs. General BANKS gave a splendid reception to the bridal party and a large number of invited guests, whom she entertained with that ease and grace which so immediately make a stranger forget that he is one. Gen. BANKS, of course, with accustomed urbanity, assisted in doing the honors of the house. Major Gen. CANBY, and all the prominent military officers of the Department, were present, while the venerable JACOB BARKER, of New York political and financial fame from thirty to sixty years bygone, was there, apparently as healthy and almost as active as a boy. Mr. B. was a member, I think, of the New York Senate of 1814, and is the only survivor of either members or officers. He is now in his 84th year, and one of the wonders of New Orleans, where he has resided for nearly thirty years. Rev. Dr. NEWMAN and his accomplished lady, well known to so many of your readers, were also present. Both are enjoying the best of health, while the Doctor is vigorously engaged in promoting the cause of the Union and the interests of the Methodist Church in an eminent degree. Both are evidently very near his heart, and he labors for both assiduously.
The health of the city is of the very best. The last weekly report (to July 22) showing 186 deaths, more than one-half of whom were children not over five years of age. Thanks to the blessing of God on quarantine and sanitary regulations vigorously enforced, there is not a healthier city in the Union than New Orleans, and there is not the least reason to apprehend a visit of the dreaded yellow fever this season. Q.

List of Prisoners of War in New York Regiments received in exchange from the Rebels at Red River Landing, La., July 22d, 1864, and arrived in New Orleans, July 24th.
Ser. H. Schotte, Co. C, C. M. Norton, G, 75th
     14th cavalry R. Parrish, G, 75th
J. D. W. Fisher, L, J. L. Palmer, G, 75th
     14th cavalry J. Read, G, 75th
1st Lt. C.H.Cox,G, 75th T. T. Smith, G, 75th
2d Lt. W. H. Root, 75th A. Stringham, G, 75th
George Clark, A, 75th Chas. Stevens, G, 75th
Ser. H. M. Arthur,75th C. B. Thomas, G, 75th
Cor. G. H. Wright,75th Wm. Tucker, G, 75th
Cor. W. Booth, B, 75th H. Thorne, G, 75th
Cor. F. H. Coppernoll, 75th E.Van Sickle, G, 75th
Cor. E.W. Blakeman, 75th J. W. Arnoot, F, 75th.
E. N. Andrews, B, 75th H. J. Cregue, F, 75th
J. K. P. Ashley, 75th G. W. Mills, F, 75th
A. Bacon, B, 75th C. S. Squires, F, 75th
W. H. Booth, B, 75th S. Tucker. P, 75th
E. L. Bradley, B, 75th Wm. Bedell, F, 90th
L. Coppernoll, B, 75th E. D. Francis, C, 90th
M. D. Court, B, 75th J. S. Kinney, F, 90th
E. S. Follett, B, 75th 2d Lt J. Delamater, 9lst
Ezra Hamilton, 75th W. H. Baker, P, 110th
David Haywood, 75th Hugh Doran, I, 110th
Joseph Hipburn, 75th. 2d Lt. E. Kirby,F,160th
Wesley Hunter, 75th Ser. B. Sanford, D, 161st
Willard Joslin, B, 75th Ser. C. H. Callaghan, 161st
John Keller, B, 75th Ser. A. Shultz, D, 161st
J. Messenger, B, 75th Cor. J. Bartholomew, 161st
L. Mills, B, 75th Cor. Wm. Sanger, D, 161st
H. Olford, B, 75th Monroe Ames, D, 161st
J. H. Palmer, B, 75th Jno. L. Barber, D, 161st
J. J. Friday, B, 75th P. A. Bryant, D, 161st
J. W. Riley, B, 75th J. W. Blunt, D, 161st
D. Rodgers, B, 75th A. Brumagim, D, 161st
Wm. Messenger, 75th J. Chubb, D, 161st
E. W. Romu, B, 75th J. D. Hillard, D, 161st
G. C. Smart, B, 75th R. M. Love, D, 161st
D. Spickerman, 75th Wm. Lindsey, D, 161st
W. H. Taylor, B, 75th J. J. Lewis, D, 161st
J. H. Thompson, 75th G. McIntyre, D, 161st
R. B. Vink, B, 75th T. A. Sawyer, D, 161st
O. O. Whitcomb, 75th John Coffee, C, 165th
J. W. Wilkinson, 75th Maj. John Gray 175th
S H. Wright, B, 75th 1st Lt. J. Roberts, 175th
Geo. G. Little, C, 75th 1st Lt. R. Dunn, 175th
C. W. Allen, D, 75th 2d Lt P. E. Walsh, 175th
Joseph Bastedo, 75th 2d Lt N. S. Curtis, 175th
C. J. Cutler, D, 75th Sergt. C. Wolf, 175th
J. Coghlin, D, 75th Thos. Gill, K, 175th
D. Kratzer, D, 75th Hugh Doran, F, 175th
A. J. Olney, D, 75th W. H. Baker, F, 175th
C. Van Note, D, 75th Col. C. C. Nott, 176th
J. H. Van Note, D,75th Lt. Col. A. H. J. Du-
Ser. G. O. Taylor, G, 75th      ganne, 176th
Ser.M. Thompson, 75th Capt W. P. Coe, 176th
Ser. H. E. Jones, G, 75th Capt. S. E. Thomp-
Cor. Ethan Allen, 75th      son, 176th
Cor. C. H. Salmons, 75th lst Lt. J. Babcock,176th
Cor. J. C. Smith, G, 75th 1st Lt. D. G. Willing-
J. Andrews, G, 75th      ton, 176th
A. M. Acker, G, 75th 1st Lt. J. B. Robens
Daniel Allen, G, 75th      E, 176th
W. H. Beebe, G, 75th 1st Lt. C. Kirby, 176th
W. L. Blanchard, 75th lst Lt. P. W. Lyon, 176th
G. Beak, G, 75th 2d Lt. D. G. Gillette, A
John Chaffee, G, 75th      176th
J. J. Campbell, G, 75th 2d Lt. L. W. Steven-
Geo. Curtis, G, 75th      son, B, 176th
S. Darratt, G, 75th 2d Lt T. F. Petrie, 176th
Edward Earll, G, 75th 2d lt. C. Sherman, 176th
Amnon Granger, 75th John Hoffai, 176th
Albert Hallett,G, 75th G. Wilder, D, 175th
John Lalone, G, 75th  


The Seventy-Fifth Arrived In New York 
The Seventy-Fifth arrived at New York on Friday, by steamer Continental. A list of the officers is given in the Tribune of last evening. 
Capt. W. H. Gray this morning telegraphed to New York to ascertain when the regiment may be expected to arrive in this city.

CAMP 15TH REG'T. N. Y. S. V.,
Sept. 15TH, 1864.
MESSRS. KNAPP & PECK.—Yesterday a sad accident occurred in our Regiment. In cutting down a tree, it fell upon Private David Burns, of Capt. Hopping's Company, who was asleep in his tent at the time—breaking his thigh in two places, and otherwise injuring him. He is now at Brigade Hospital, receiving all the care and attention that can be bestowed upon him in the field, but will doubtless soon be removed to more comfortable quarters. His condition is looked upon by our Surgeons as very critical, but being young and vigorous, he may recover. Young Burns was a good soldier, and always did his duty well and faithfully. 
Very truly Yours,

From the Gulf Department.
We publish an extract from a letter to his father by an old friend of ours, who is Lt. Col., and has been for some time in command of the 75th Regt., N. Y. V., now serving in the department of the Gulf. The 75th is a part of Gen. Weitzel's Division which also contains the 114th and 176th.
This letter describes so admirably some scenes soldiers have to pass through, we copy from the Homer Republican. 
Describing his march from Opelousas to Alexandria, he says:
I get so tired now-a-days, and find myself so busy, that I can hardly keep an account of my own wanderings. Two weeks ago today, we were lying at Opelousas, and Gen. Banks was just making up his mind to advance upon Alexandria. On monday the 3d, I ran down to Brashar and staid until Tuesday afternoon, when about four o'clock I got word that Weitzel had started for Alexandria on Monday noon. Luckily a steamer would go up the Bayou in a few minutes, and I packed my saddle bags with half dried clothing, put away my store clothes, dressed in campaigning suit, and rushed on board. The next morning at daylight found me at Barry's Landing nine miles below Opelousas, to find the troops nearly all gone, and Dwight and Weitzel's Brigades supposed to be nearly up to Alexandria. As there was some hopes that the enemy would make a stand at Alexandria, or near there, I must needs hurry. I had left my horse, saddle and bridle and one for my servant at the Landing on my way down, and by good luck found the rig which Danie (my faithful man), had ridden; my own having disappeared entirely, we however got two carts, a single cart with one mule into which got the Rev. Dr. Bacon and a negro driver, and a three mule cart, (rigged up with one mule in the shafts and one on each side of him,) into which Dr. Benedict and Lieut. Wrotnowskie of Gen. Weitzel's staff and two
Lieutenants of one of our batteries besides myself were all stowed. Dr. Benedict drove and Daniel rode behind on the old gray horse. We got off about nine o'clock and passed through Washington, eleven miles a little before noon. It was very hot and dusty, and the cart a most uncomfortable affair to ride in, but our mules were good and we pushed ahead.—Dr. Bacon is a clergyman of Alexandria who left his home, wife and friends under prssure [sic] of public opinion in June 1862, and has only heard from his wife once in the year, and then by a note clandestinely delivered. He was bound to visit her at the head of our victorious column. He cherishes very bitter feelings, and at every place when the master of the house appeared to be at home, he would tell a negro to "present Dr. Bacon's compliments to his master and say to him, Hurra for Lincoln!" By sunset we came up with Gen. Grover's division, and stopped at Gen. Bank's headquarters, changed mules, got a fresh horse for Daniel, and a good supper. Here we left Dr. Bacon, and about eight o'clock pushed on again, Weitzel being supposed to be about 20 miles ahead. Between nine and ten o'clock we passed Gen. Emory's division and learned that Weitzel was still 20 miles ahead, near a place called Cheneyville. The moon came up, and we saw some of the most magnficent [sic] corn and cane fields I ever saw or imagined. The ground was nearly all planted with corn, though the country from Opelousas to Alexandria is a cotton region, and the storehouses and sheds were mostly filled with cotton, two to three crops being on hand. Now, all are growing food for the Southern Confederacy. 
Cheneyville is 32 miles from Alexandria, and we had but little idea of going through, but at noon we had made the distance to within 14 miles, and without much distress. Two hours for dinner and we set off again, Dwight about three miles ahead, About three o'clock we came up with his rear guard. Our men held out admirably, the bands all playing every hour or so to enlieven [sic] the steps, and make them forget their blistered feet as far as possible [sic].—Just before sunset we were six miles from Alexandria, and the men, of their own motion, determined to go into the town. Before I knew it my regiment had closed up in mass filling up the whole width of the road, and were calling me to get a fresh horse. The regiments before and behind caught it up and pushed the horses into a slow trot, shouting, joking, laughing, singing and cheering, and men who a few minutes before had declared that they must fall out were quite up to the head forgetting alikes fatigues and sores. In this way, with a perfect rush, we made the whole six miles, and hardly a man fell out. We reached Alexandria before gen. Dwight had got his camp fires lighted, and were glad enough to drop down anywhere to sleep. Few waited for supper. Troops do not often march as we have done this last month. We have not marched less that at a rate of eighteen miles a day, and have generally made 20, 22, 23 and 25 miles, while this last march was all 32 miles. Of course men wear out under it. On this last march, we had several cases of disability caused by hernia and varicorse [sic] veins.
There is a great difference between walking such distances and marching in ranks, carrying muskets and cartridges and a pair of blankets. Discipline tells, in these marches as much as in action. Old troops can march raw ones to death.
We saw great quantities of cotton. Few planters have burned any cotton here, but they are raising corn this year. They have one or two crops in bales, and one crop unginned, seed cotton, as it is called. If we continue to hold Red River, and finally open the Mississippi, we shall have most of this immense store. 
The sugar plantations below Alexandria are the most magnificent places I ever saw. The planters houses and ground are extensive and showy, neatly kept, surrounded by villages of negro huts which have an air of comfort and thrift, and by handsome fields streatching [sic] away almost as far as eye can reach. The fences, barns, tools and everything connected with the farming of a plantation of a thousand acres of cultivated land will be found as neat, and in as perfect repair, as the model farm in N. Y. Gen. Banks has gone to Semmesport, the head of the Atchafulaya on the Red, which is to be our base of future operations against Port Hudson.
The weather is getting very hot. Corn is some of it is in tassle, and looks fine
everywhere. Enough seems to have been out in here in Louisiana to feed the armies of C. S. A. a year.

ALGIERS, Sept 14, 1863.
MESSRS. EDITORS:— Gentlemen:—Some time since a letter signed "A. Y. C." was published in your paper reflecting on a statement I made to the friends of the late Lt. Wm. E. Avery.—The letter was not seen by me in time to answer it before I left N. Y. city for New Orleans. Since my arrival I have been so constantly engaged as not to have been able to take notice of it prior to this.
I wish it distinctly understood that the statement I made to Hon. E. B. Morgan, was true. The remains were well cared for before received by me in New Orleans by officers of the 75th, "and all that could be done for poor Will was done." I claim no credit for what I did. I fulfilled a solemn promise given his father on the 30th Nov. 1861. I know not what occurred on the battle-field, as I never claimed the honor of being there. I only know it was two days before I received the remains. It was through no neglect or fault of any officer of the 75th that they did not reach the city sooner.
I regret that any newspaper controversy has occurred, and hope in future A. Y. Corning will at least keep truth on his side when he wishes to injure any one. 
I am, Gentlemen, yours Respct'ly,
Capt. comd'g 75th N. Y. V.

Local, Literary, Miscellaneous.
Auburn, September 22, 1863.
Two Companies of the 75th Captured at Sabine Pass.
Companies B & G of the 75th, together with some twenty men of other companies of that regiment, were selected as sharpshooters to act upon the gunboats, in the late attack on the rebel works at Sabine Pass, an account of which is published in the N. Y. Times of Monday last.
The gunboats, three in number, attacked the rebel batteries in order to effect a landing for the troops of the expedition, and were doing most effective execution, when by reason of insufficient channel they grounded and were completely riddled by the fire of the enemy. Capt. Crocker of the Clifton, turned one of his heavy guns upon his own vessel before surrendering and blew her machinery into ruins. 
The sharpshooters and crews were all captured. Our loss in killed and wounded is thought to be but small. The prisoners must be paroled and soon exchanged, as the rebels cannot keep them long in that country.
We have good reason for believing that a second expedition of 25,000 men was immediately started off by Gen. Banks via the Teche country to take the Texas road at New Iberia. Our next accounts from that quarter will be looked for with great interest.

FOURTEEN of the surviving members of Company F, of the 75th Regiment, commanded formerly by Lieut. WILLIAM E. AVERY, and now home on a furlough, paid a visit to Mr. JOHN B. AVERY and family on Wednesday afternoon of this week. A finer looking and more gentlemanly set of soldiers we have never seen.
Mr. Avery had prepared for them a splendid dinner, of which they all partook with a hearty zest, and expressed themselves so well satisfied with such rations that they proposed to select Mr. Avery as their future Quartermaster. 
After the dinner the whole company in a body visited the grave of their former comrade—Lieut. AVERY, who fell at Port Hudson and whose remains in honor rest in our cemetery. When they had gathered around the grave, Rev. J. B. Smith, whom the regiment had honored by the proffer of the Chaplaincy once, and an election to it again, offered some appropriate remarks. He complimented the 75th Regiment on the honorable distinction which they had won for themselves, and commended them on having been true to each other and true to their country, and for the respect which they had cherished for the memory of those who were dear to our homes and hearts who had fallen in the service. He referred to the tribute of respect which was paid to Lieut. Avery by the long concourse of people which came together to join in the sad funeral rites, and the long funeral train which followed him to his burial, and the memories which still gather about his tomb. He assured them that the honor which they bestowed on him was amply reciprocated in the high esteem in which they were held by him. He spoke of the greeting which we had been glad to extend to them, of the respect of which they had shown themselves worthy since they had been again among us, of what we knew we might expect of them, and assured them that many a prayer would ascend from many hearts for God to bless them, to shield them in the day of strife, and to return them to us and to their homes, with days of peace, union and liberty.
D. D. LEFLER, in some fitting remarks, expressed the thanks of the friends of Edwin Covert, for the distinguished marks of respect which they had shown to him in his sickness, and erecting the monument as they did at no small expense, to mark the place of his burial. 
Mr. Avery then expressed his interest in those with whom his son had been associated. The company again returned to the house, and for a time were entertained by Miss Avery and her sister, Mrs. Morgan, of Aurora, who sang and played several fine pieces of music, among which was the old familiar one, entitled "Brave Boys are they," which they sung at the request of several of the soldiers, and which never seemed so appropriate, except as we heard it sung by the same ladies on the eve of the departure of their lamented brother from the endearing scenes of home for the last time, to become a sacrifice upon the altar of his country.
The afternoon being far spent, the young gentleman thought it time for then to depart, and as each took his leave, requested of Mr. Avery that he should give them before they left for the seat of war, a photograph of his noble son, and promising in return that he should have each of theirs.
(Seneca Co. Sentinel, March 10, 1864)

THE SEVENTY-FIFTH— No regiment recruited in this district has shown more valor nor done more execution than the gallant 75th. It has borne the brunt of many a well fought field, and shed its blood like water for the good of the country. It is now worn down by battle and disease to a mere handful of war-worn veterans —but about 300 men remaining of the number who marched forth from this city. The battle-flag of this regiment is inscribed with a greater number of contests than that of any of the brave organizations sent from among us, and their glory will live in history when the opposers of their great work are forgotten in the oblivion that always buries cowards and traitors. In most of the emergencies where skill and bravery were required, the 75th has been called upon for men to act as sharpshooters or to take the advance of storming parties and scouting expeditions, and their record is clear and upon the right side in every instance. With thinned ranks, yet brave and undaunted hearts, they are still in the advance, as ready and willing for the fray as when they first took up arms in the cause of the Union and the Right.

RETURN OF VETERANS.—The Seventy-Fifth Regiment, which left Auburn in the Fall of 1861, has returned home on a short furlough, after having re-enlisted for the war. They passed through here Tuesday evening in the cars, en route to Elmira, and on their return to Auburn are to have a grand reception. The ranks of the Regiment have been thinned to about 300 men. They have done good service in Florida and Louisiana, and reserve all the honor that can be shown them. Capt. FRANK SILSBY belongs to this regiment, and it is the same to which Lieut. AVERY, of Farmerville—killed at Port Hudson—was attached.

THE 75TH—THE COLORS.—It is now some what over two years, and well do we remember the day—since the gallant and now war-worn 75th Regiment was drawn up in "close column by division, right in front" and facing the Court House, for the purpose of receiving from the ladies of Auburn, (or a portion of them) the magnificent stand of colors comprising the State and national flags, which at that time were the subject of so much admiration, the praise of every tongue. Exhortations were made that day for the ladies, and pledges and promises returned in behalf of the 75th that have been nobly redeemed at the terrible cost of some of the best and purest blood of Cayuga county. To the truth of this assertion, let the sad hearts that dwell in almost every other home upon the hill tops and in the valleys around us bear witness; let the widow's tears, the orphan's cry and the vacant chair attest, for the feet are stiffened forever, whose coming heard at times, woke pulses of love in household hearts that shall be gladdened no more on earth, and the deep roar of the breakers of the Gulf, as they dash the shell strewn shore of Santa Rosa, mingled with winds that murmur upon the banks of the Mississippi, or go sadly sighing through the lowlands of Louisana [sic], are the only requiem of the dead brave: 
" Bring back to us the flags
With honor—not disgrace."
Thus spake one of the fair ones for those who had made the gift. They have been "'brought back" to you ladies of Auburn, shivered, torn, riddled, bleeding, and their wounds, 
" Poor, poor dumb mouths,"
they speak to you and say, we have returned with honor."
We do not fear contradiction when we say, that among all the brave tried Regiments that have gone out from its to battle against our nation's foe, none have seen so much active service as the 75th, none have conferred more lasting honor upon their fellow citizens. These wrecked colors that once rippled so proudly in the breeze before our eyes, have never even fallen to the ground; never came near it save once when the Regiment were making a charge on the works before Port Hudson, their banners borne in front, a traitor bullet sped through the heart of the gallant and dashing color sergeant, the same who received them from the ladies hands; they tottered, but as he was falling to his last long sleep, a brave corporal snatched from his death grasp the silken stars and stripes, and shouting defiance waved them at the enemy.
We have written thus for the purpose of asking those who would do justice to brave men--who would do justice to our sons and brothers, noble men who voluntarily left us without one shilling bounty—what shall be done with these scarred flags, that tell so bloody but so honorable a tale? They are not in a fit condition to again be carried to the field. Do we intend to send these men, tried, brave men, back to battle against rebellious traitors, with no emblems from the home hearth to urge them on to high, bold deeds? What say you 
" Who never set a squadron in the field,
Nor the division of a battle know,”
but whose purse strings we are sure are ever ready to unloose, and empty out their wealth, to aid in putting a righteous end to this unnatural war? What say you gentle ladies? Who will now bear a hand? Shall not a day be appointed on which you can receive the "old flags," and present to the Regiment deservedly earned new ones? We know we do not speak in vain.

Letter from Jesse Baxter.
Camp 75th Regt. N. Y. V. V.,
September 10th, 1864.
My Dear Sir:—Through the kindness of some one I have been favored with a copy of your valuable paper, for which I am very thankful. It was worth half a dozen letters on account of the "Home News" it contained. It was like meeting an old friend, and sitting down and having a "long talk." If parents who have sons in the Army only knew how highly local papers are prized by the soldiers, they would not hesitate long in sending their County journals to them every week. The best way to do this is to subscribe for the paper and have the Editor mail it, and then they are pretty sure to get it.
Allow me to say that the EXPRESS has been very much improved in its typographical appearance since I last saw it. I think I will not be considered egotistical when I say "I know whereof I speak."
In reading over the proceedings of the Caucus in the town of Montour, and the names of the Delegates to the County Convention, it struck me that a certain gentleman, who has been considered dead, (both mentally and politically,) by certain individuals at Havana, had suddenly arisen from the tomb.
Politics in the army is at fever heat among the officers and men. MCCLELLAN stock was above par previous to his nomination, but has since fallen so that it is not worth over ten cents on the dollar, and is a drug in the market at that. They can't go the Chicago Platform no-how.
It embraces no stated principles, but is a direct attack upon the Government. "Old ABE" will receive a hearty support from the "soldier boys" in the field, and the 75th will not be behind in helping to swell his majority.
For the past four weeks the 18th, 8th and 6th Corps, under command of Gen. SHERIDAN, have been watching the movements of the Rebel Gen. EARLEY, and I assure you he needs all the watchfulness which he receives, for, to use the boys' expression—"he is a sharp-eyed cuss." No general engagement has yet taken place between the two opposing armies since we arrived in this Department, but very sharp skirmishing is daily going on, with heavy losses on both sides. SHERIDAN wants EARLEY to fight him from behind his entrenchments, but EARLEY does not "see it" in that light, and vice versa. Gen. EARLEY calls Gen. SHERIDAN'S army "Harper's Weekly," for the reason that he falls back to Harper's Ferry about once a week. Good "goak" on SHERIDAN. 
In looking over your "Home" column, I noticed the death of Dr. N. WINTON, of Havana, so long and well known to its citizens, and the Medical Fraternity at large. His wife ... an affectionate companion, his children ... and considerate father, and the ... which he lived an exemplary citizen ... his ashes.
I must now close. Remember me kindly to my friends. 
Very Truly Yours, &c.,
P. S.—Capt. GEO. MCFARLAN, Commandant of Co. C, who read your article on the jollification meeting, held by the Democrats at Watkins, over the nomination of MCCLELLAN, is very anxious to know what VANALLEN did to ACKLEY after VAN'S return from the Chicago Convention. He imagines that something interesting must have immediately transpired. J. B.