38th New York Infantry Regiment's Civil War Newspaper Clippings

Published by Request.
Compiled by E. H. KELLOGG, of Co. B, 38th Regt N. Y. V.,
Queens, Queens Co., L. I., N. Y.
The Regiment was organized in New York City and the first recruiting office opened at 497 Broadway, on the 19th day of April, 1861, and was accepted and mustered into the State service May 7th, 1861. On the 14th May the Regiment moved into barracks at East New York, L. I , and were Numbered as the 38th Regt. N. Y. V. On the 29th the following Field Officers being chosen: Col. J. H. Hobart Ward, Lieut. Col. Addison Farnesworth, Major James Decatur Potter; three companies were added to the Regiment at East New York, Co's H. from Geneva, I. from Horsehead, and K. from Elizabethtown.
On 3d June the Regiment was inspected by Dr. Mott, and mustered into U.S. service by Capt. Hayman with the exception of Co. I. which was not mustered in until the 8th inst. On the 18th the Regiment was paid one month's pay from the State, and was uniformed on the 15th. On the 19th it was armed and equipped, and in accordance with an order from the War department proceeded to Washington, D. C., via Harrisburgh and Baltimore, reaching Washington early on the morning of the 21st, encamping at Meridian Hill on the 23d. July 4th the Regiment paraded for review before the President and Gen. Winfield Scott. On 7th changed arms at Washington arsenal, and proceeded to Alexandria, encamping about a mile west of city, and was brigaded with the 1st Michigan and 11th N. Y. V. (Fire Zouavres) under Command of Col. O. B. Wilcox, Acting Brigadier Gen.
On 17th the Regiment moved forward with the army towards Bull Run, and occupied Fairfax Station. On the 18th the enemy had evidently left this place hurriedly. On afternoon of the 19th encamped at Centreville. Early on the morning of the 21st July the Regiment was en-rout for Manassas Junction, and were engaged with the enemy at the Battle of Bull Run of that date. After a hotly contested engagement, repulsing the rebels three times and driving them before us, the regiment was forced to fall back with the army; in this engagement, the loss of the 38th was 138 killed, wounded, and missing, and 4 Officers. The Regiment returned to Alexandria. At Bull Run, the Major was captured, also Dr. Griswold and Capt. McQuade, the two latter died in prison. During the month of August the regiment moved to the Leesburgh road, near the Seminary and was Brigaded with the 40th N. Y. V. (Mozarts) and the 3d and 4th Me. Under command of Gen. O. Howard succeeded by Sedgwick. On 18th August a portion of the Regimental Pickets stationed at Munsons Hill, were attacked by a superior force of the enemy, and after a spirited resistance captured. During the month of August, the regiment assisted in constructing Fort Ward. In September ninety-seven men who had refused to do duty in the 4th Me. were transferred to the 38th, and the encampment was moved to the old Fairfax road, where they assisted in constructing Fort Lyons, and other works. During the winter a large and commodious Theatre was constructed in Camp, and performances given by Professional Stars, and an Amateur Club organized in the Brigade. On 15th Jan'y, 1862, twenty-four prisoners of War captured at Bull Run, returned to the Regiment, and were gallantly received. On the organization of the Army of the Potomac in March, Gen. Sedgwick being promoted to command of a Division, Gen. D. B. Birney was appointed in his place, and the 38th formed a portion of the 1st Division 3d Corps de Armie. On 17th March, the regiment was reviewed by Gen. Geo. B. McClellan, and embarked on transports for Fortress Monroe, being the 1st Regt. in the Army of the Potomac to leave for the peninsular. 
On the 19th March, the Regiment arrived at Fortress Monroe, and camped at Camp Hamilton. On 21st moved a few miles beyond Hampton, and three drummers, who had strayed from Camp were captured by rebel Cavelry; Lt. Walker with a detachment of men followed to a mile beyond Big Bethel but was unable to retake them. On 25th moved forward towards Yorktown and encamped one mile and a half west of Clark's mill. Gen. Hamilton being removed from Command of division, Gen. Philip Kearney was appointed in his place. During the siege of Yorktown, the Regiment was employed on picket and fatigue duty, in the trenches nearly every day. On 4th May Yorktown was evacuated, and the regiment being on picket was the first regiment in the Division to place the American flag on the evacuated works of Fort Magruder, pursuit of the enemy followered and the Regiment camped for the night some three miles beyond Yorktown. On 5th it rained all day, and the Division moved forwards through mud knee deep to support Hooker, who had been engaged since early morn; they relieved him at 3 P.M., deployed, and went into action, charged the enemy three times, being repulsed twice; at the third charge the rebels retreated, and the 38th and 40th held their ground. The Regiment was engaged in the Battle of Williamsburgh about three hours, and lost 89 killed, wounded and missing, 2 officers killed and 7 officers wounded. On 6th the Regiment did Provost duty in Williamsburgh, and moved forwards with the army about the 12th. After returning from Picket on the 31st the Regiment participated in the 1st day's Battle of Fair Oaks, which was renewed again on the lst of June. On this day the Regiment made a splendid charge, and drove the rebels through the swamp with great loss. The loss of the Regiment on both occasions being 35 killed, wounded and missing, one officer wounded. Up to the 25th the Regiment was engaged in ordinary duties, picket, and fatigue. On the 26th with a portion of the Division, the Regiment supported Hooker at the engagement of that date. On 27th advanced on reconnoisance to within three miles of Richmond being one of the nearest points reached by Infantry during the Penisular Campaign. On 29th the army fell back towards Harrison's landing, the 38th forming a portion of the rear Guard. On 30th engaged at battle of Glendale or Charles City Crossroads. July 1st supported Thomson's Battery at Malvern hill. Loss during Seven days fight, 35 killed, wounded and missing, 3 officers wounded. On 3d camped at Harrison's Landing, and had a short resting spell, doing occasional picket and fatigue duty. On 15th August left Harrison's Landing, 18th passed through Williamsburgh, 20th took transport Merrimac at Yorktown, reaching Alexandria on 22d, and took cars for Warrenton Junction, which we reached on 23d thence marched to Bealetons station, and remained in vicinity until the 20th, thence took up line of march for Mannassas Junction. On the afternoon of the 28th had a slight brush with the enemy at Blackburns ford, and camped at Centreville, on 29th and 30th engaged the enemy at Bulls Run heights, lost 16 wounded and missing, three officers wounded. 
On the 1st September fought the Battle of Chantilly; about one hour under fire; lost 35 killed, wounded and missing; one officer killed. Gen. Kearney was killed at this engagement. On the 2nd took up line of march arriving in Alexandria on the 4th. On 9th Maj. Jas. Decatur Potter having been paroled, after being a prisoner of war over thirteen months, made us a visit. The regiment remained near Alexandria until the 15th, during which time Gen. Stoneman was appointed to command of the Division vice Kearney. On 15th broke camp and moved for Maryland, reaching Poolsville on the 18th, and did picket duty on the Potomac from Conrad's Ferry to the mouth of the Monocacy river. Early in October, Col. Ward being promoted to Brigadier and taking command of the Brigade, Lieut.-Col. Wm. Birney took temporary command of the Regiment. Oct. 17th, attempted to prevent Stuart's crossing into Virginia at White's Ford; did not reach the river in time. Oct. 28th, crossed the Potomac by fording, at White's Ford, marched through Leesburgh, thence to Waterloo, crossed the Rappahannock, recrossed, passed through Warrenton, and encamped near Falmouth about the 20th November. About the 1st December Gen. Stoneman being appointed to command of 3rd Corps, Gen. Birney took command of Division. On 13th the Regiment was engaged at battle of Fredericksburg, having 355 men in action our loss being 88 wounded, 33 missing and 14 killed, seven officers wounded; the Regiment was under a heavy fire of grape and canister; they recrossed and reached camp on 16th. On 22d, by General Order, from War Department, the 55th N. Y. V. was consolidated with the 38th, Col. R. De-Trobiand taking command, Lieut.-Col. Birney being appointed Colonel of the 4th N. J. V. On 26th Jan., 1863, the Regiment participated in the attempted movement of Gen. Burnside. On the 1st May the Regiment crossed the Rappahannock, and were engaged at the Battle of Chancellorsville. On the 2nd and 3rd the Regiment made a charge and cut their way through the enemy's lines to a secure position, which they held until the army recrossed the river; loss, 48 killed, wounded and missing; 3 officers wounded, 1 missing. On 4th June left Aquia Creek, reaching New York on the 6th, were received by the Mayor and Common Council of the city, accompanied by the Military, and mustered out of service at East New York, L. I., on the 22nd June, 1863. The Regiment returned to New York with some 300 members; number when it left, 800; loss in engagements, privates and officers, about 570 killed, wounded and missing. The 38th Regiment is re-organizing under the command of Col. Augustus Funk. The bounty given to old recruits is $565. The Head quarters are at Lafayette Hall, 597 Broadway, N. Y.

The officers of the former Thirty-eighth Regiment met yesterday morning at No. 597 Broadway, and consulted about the reorganization of the Regiment. It was resolved upon, and will be commenced at once.

The following is a complete list of the casualties in the Thirty-eighth regiment of this city, (Colonel J.H.H. Ward,) at the battle of Stone Bridge:
Field and Staff.—wounded--Major James D. Potter, slightly, and, afterward taken prisoner by the enemy. Missing--Assistant-Surgeon Stephen Griswold and Quartermaster Charles J. Murphy, both taken prisoners.
COMPANY A.—Wounded--Charles H. L. Roediger, slightly in the hand. Missing--Jacob Schindler and John McNamara.
Company B.--Killed--Sergeant Samuel Ashworth; privates William Weir, Louis Leonard, Charles Paulson, Louis Williams, James H. Hart, George Robinson.
Wounded--Captain Eugene McGrath, slightly; privates Michael McGrane, in the head (missing); Walter S. Kniffin, in the knee; Marvin Lord, in the thigh; H.B. Hendrickson, in the arm.
Company C.--Wounded--Captain Robert F. Allason, slightly; privates A. Klaila and J. Maier, severely; A. Scharf and J. Schimelpfening, mortally. Missing--R. Gabitch, J. Hoefer, J. Hirt, A. Keller, S. Shaublein, A. Ahr, supposed to be prisoners.
Company D.--Killed--Privates Philo E. Lewis, William Chambers, Martin Donahoe. Wounded--Lieutenant John Brady, jr., badly in wrist; Frank Paine, bayonet in leg; William Macky, wounded in foot. Missing--Corporal Charles Studoff; privates James B. Clorety, George Cisco, Matthew Dollard, Louis Washrode, Calvin T.C. Gould, George A. Kenaston, Edward Donnelly, George Hart.
Company E.--Wounded--Sergeant Watson A. Mallory, in foot; privates John O'Brien, in leg; Anthony Welder, thigh; James Willis, in knee; all prisoners. Missing --Privates Samuel Hart, John Kelsey, Edward L. Marsh; supposed to be prisoners. 
Company F.--Killed--Privates James Flynn, James Nelson, Michael Dowling, Henry Hilliard, William Mackay. Wounded--Captain Hugh McQuade, severely, taken prisoner; privates John McIntire, Patrick McGann, Martin O'Neil, Thomas Murphy, William Fielding. Missing--Sergeant Donahoe, Corporal Moloney, privates Timothy Sullivan, Michael Kennedy, Joseph Sheppard, Patrick Coyle, Lawrence Mooney, John Holland.
Company G.—Wounded—First Lieutenant Thomas S. Hamblin, in the leg; privates Edward Sweeney, Benjamin Taylor, (all taken prisoners,) Henry Lansing. Missing--Henry Hege, Thomas H. Kerr, Patrick McGinn, William H. Millett, Charles J. Rydecker, George Wright (all supposed to have been taken prisoners).
Company H—Killed--Private John Orman. Wounded--privates Norton Schermerhorn, slightly; Luther L. Mills, both arms shot off (a prisoner); Hugh F. Dunnigan, in leg (prisoner); William Barker, in leg; John Robson, in neck; John Hallano, slightly in head; Robert T. Robertson, badly bruised; Isaac Richee, slightly in leg; George B. Stevens, slightly in the back; Menzo W. Hoard, leg bruised; John Welsh, slightly in hand. Missing--Privates William Ross, John Lamphier, (supposed prisoners). 
Company L.—Killed--William E. Straight, First Sergeant; Fourth Corporal John McBride, and Charles H. Cooper. Wounded--Sylvanus Greer, Theodore Hamilton, Edwin Close, Anthon V. Pitkett, Olando B. Hirley (all missing), supposed to be prisoners. Missing—Privates William Breese, Charles Shear, Erving C. Smith, John Jackson, Isaac Kinnan, William Phelan, Byron Swazee, Edward Chevalier, John Gumbleton, Henry J. Griffin, John Ryan, (all supposed to be prisoners).
Company K.--Wounded--Privates Orlando B. Whitney, Henry Van Ornam, Patrick Waters, all taken prisoners; Pitt E. Wadhams, in right leg, near the thigh; Loyal E. Wolcott, slightly, and Sergeant John H. Glidden, slightly in the head.--Missing--Corporal George Boutwell; Privates James A. Coburn, James McCormick, and Wesley Summer (supposed to have been taken prisoners).

Killed …………..19
Wounded ………55 
Missing ………..54 
Total loss …….128

MATCHES AMONG THE SOLDIERS - On the 12th. a match was played between nine players of the Thirty-eighth Regiment, N. Y. S. V., and the Fortieth Regiment, (Mozart) N. Y. S. V., at Potomac Creek, Va. The game resulted in favor of the Thirty-eighth, by a score of 28 to 19.
A match was played on the 17th inst. between the officers of the Twelfth and Forty-fourth, N. Y. S. V., at Falmouth, Va., resulting in favor of the latter.
On Monday, 20th instant, a match was played in General Deven's Brigade, between nine of the best players from the New York Thirty-sixth Regiment and nine from the Massachusetts Tenth Regiment. The match was a remarkably well-played one, and reflected credit upon all parties concerned. There was a very large attendance of military personages present. Scarcely had the third inning been put in motion, when the rain began to descend in rapid and successive torrents; yet the brave boys, not disheartened and scarcely noticing the dripping rain, played the remainder of the game satisfactorily to all. After a laughable and merry three hours, the match came to a terminus, the nine innings being played, each side scoring twenty runs, thus making it a draw match. 
The veterans of the Peninsula campaign being desirous of enjoying themselves, inaugurated the opening of the season on the 19th. by having a friendly game of base ball. The nines were representatives respectively of the Anderson Zouaves (Sixty-second N. Y. S. V.) and the First Long Island Volunteers. The day was lovely, the ground in good condition, and the men in fine spirits; consequently, fine sport was anticipated, and was fully realized. After the game was concluded, which resulted favorably for the Andersons, they invited the Long Islanders to their quarters, where friendly sentiments were interchanged, and other things passed around. Arrangements were partially made for another match, which the Long Islanders very much desire, for they await with anxiety the opportunity when they can satisfy their friends (the Andersons) that the generous and sumptuous treatment they were the recipients of was appreciated, and will be ever remembered. The officers of the Andersons were well represented on the field, manifesting their interest in the game. They are the right style of men, and if our army had more like them, we think the Rebellion would soon be terminated.
COL. JAMES C. STRONG.—In the notice in today's Courier of the highly complimentary order of Maj. Gen. Sickles, addressed to the 38th New York Regiment, on leaving the service at the expiration of their term, no mention whatever is made of the connection of our fellow citizen, Col. James C. Strong, with that regiment,—Col. Strong led the right wing of the regiment as its Lieut.-Colonel in the well contested battle of Williamsburgh, and in two or three bayonet charges drove the rebels before him from the abbattis in which they had entrenched themselves, receiving, just at the close of the battle, a wound in the hip which will make him, in all probability, a cripple for life. Maj.-Gen. Birney, in his report of the battle, said "Lieut.-Col. Strong deserves special mention for his gallant conduct on the field," and General Ward, at that time Colonel of the regiment, than whom no braver man or better officer led a regiment on the field of battle, writing to a friend in this city, of the Colonel, said: "A more gallant gentleman does not exist. His coolness under a most galling fire, and his example to the men, tended much towards attaining our glorious victory." 
Col. Strong was, after the battle, on the promotion of Gen. Ward, commissioned Colonel of the 38th for his bravery in this battle. 
We deem it no more than an act of justice that in a public mention of the brave deeds of the gallant 38th and its officers, the connection of our fellow citizen as one of its officers, with it should be mentioned, and presume it did not occur to our cotemporary at the time of its comments upon Gen. Sickles' commendatory order, that that was the regiment with which Col. Strong was connectee.

NEW YORK VOLUNTEERS—The returns of killed, wounded and missing of the 38th Regiment, N.Y.V., (Second Scott Life Guard) show their aggregate loss to be 201—greater than that of any other regiment, the Fire Zouaves not excepted. Through some oversight, the papers have failed to trumpet the praise of the 38th. We gladly give place to the following honorable record :
The 38th was under fire nearly one half hour earlier than the Fire Zouaves, and at least an hour before the 69th, in praise of whom so much has justly been said and written. Repeatedly repulsed, the 38th always rallied—three times under severe fire. They rescued and took from the enemy Griffin's battery, which was afterward again lost, and repulsed, with great slaughter, the rebels in their renewed attempts to recapture the battery. Their Colonel, J. H. Hobart Ward, who served during the war with Mexico, and was breveted for his good conduct on the field, throughout the late battle was collected, courageous and energetic. Wherever his men faltered, there he was to rally and encourage them, and where danger appeared he confronted it. Lieut-Col. Farnsworth, of the same regiment, who had been upon the sick list for a week previous to the battle, and unable to mount his horse, was brought to the field in an ambulance. Notwithstanding his debility, he took his place with his regiment, conducting himself throughout the battle, and during the disastrous retreat, with distinguished gallantry. The hero of the notable instance of magnanimous self-sacrifice on the part of a Surgeon of one of the city regiments, heretofore mentioned, who nobly surrendered himself to the enemy rather than desert his wounded comrades, was Dr. Stephen Griswold, Assistant-Surgeon of the Thirty-Eighth.

Splendid Reception of the Thirty-seventh and Thirty-eighth Regiments.
The Civic and Military Ovation—Banquet to the Soldiers at the City
Assembly Rooms—Toasts, Speeches and a Good Time Generally.
Those who believe that "republics are ungrateful," must hereafter tell it to the marines; certainly they cannot tell it to our soldiers with hopes of being believed. The reception which the metropolis yesterday gave to her returned braves, the Thirty-seventh and Thirty-eighth New-York Volunteers together with previous receptions on similar occasions, demonstrated that the Empire City of the Empire State, at least, both appreciates and honors the noble efforts of her soldiers in the field. Nor was the reception less enthusiastic than might have been naturally anticipated from the multiplicity of military displays which have enlivened the Metropolis during the last two years. Indeed, the very fact that curiosity could not draw forth such crowds, lent a heartiness to the welcome, that could not attend a mere military parade. It was the consciousness that the brawny heroes who carried the National colors had defended them with their lives on many a hard-fought field, that made the occasion of such thrilling interest. The metropolitan pride which has so often swelled at the display of our citizen militia, was doubly heightened by the appearances of real veterans, fresh from the smoke of battle, many of them marked with honorable scars, and proudly bearing their untarnished flag. Though deprived of its spontaneity by the balk in the arrangements of Saturday, the welcome was in fact more complete in its details. There was perhaps less confusion from the multiplicity of those glad greetings of relatives and friends which have characterized other receptions; but the widely-extended notices of the arrangements, and the convenience of the hour named, enabled more of the bone and sinew of the City—the immediate kindred of the honored guests—to be present with the throng, and mingle their lusty cheers with the shouts of rejoicing that everywhere rent the air, and gladden the hearts of the soldiers by their presence. The streets along the line of march were alive with humanity and gaily decorated with the red, white and blue, forming almost a continuous triumphal arch of the national colors. The clerk of the weather must have been insulted by the bare supposition in the officially published programme, that aught but cloudless skies could greet such a memorable scene. Though warm, not hot; refreshing, yet not cold. The weather was all that could be desired, and was alike agreeable to citizens and soldiers.

was unusually brilliant. Long previous to the hour for the procession to pass the Park was crowded with the anxious multitude, eager to secure good places. The trees, the fences, the Washington statue and the lamp-posts, as usual, groaned with humanity—especially juvenile humanity—and the Police had more than ordinary difficulty to secure the wonted space for the line of procession. At precisely 5 o'clock, the Mayor, Members of the Common Council and other civic dignitaries, together with a number of invited guest, took their places in the customary space reserved for them in front of the Hall, among those present were the members of the Committee, Aldermen Farley, Boole, Mitchell, Henry and Ottiwell; Councilmen Joyce, Brandon, McDonnell, Haviland, and Webster, Alderman Chipp, Gen. Ward. B. Burnett, Ex-Chief-of-Police Matsell and others of note. Gen. Sandford occupied the post of honor on the right of Mayor Opdyke, and Alderman Boole the left.
The military, however, were not as prompt as was expected, and it was not until nearly 6 o'clock that the head of the line entered the Park, and then the order of the programme was not observed. First came Gen. Hall and staff, and a troop of cavalry. Next the Seventh regiment New-York National Guards, over 600 strong, under command of Col. Marshall Lefferts; Seventy-first regiment, 400 strong; Sixty-ninth regiment, 200 strong, and the Fifty-fifth, 125 strong. Sandwiched between the two last came detachments of the First regiment New-York Volunteers, and of the Fourth New York Volunteers, (Scott Life Guard,) out of uniform, and without arms, carrying their flags. 
The heroes of the day came next, and the ectat of their appearance was somewhat marred by the necessity of the manoeuvreing to get them side by side. The Thirty-seventh was commanded by Col. Hayman. Judge McCunn, who was among the originators of the regiment and its first Colonel, rode in citizen's dress among the officers. The Thirty-eighth regiment was under command of Lieut.-Col. Alason, Col. Strong, who was wounded, occupying a carriage. 
The appearance of these two regiments contrasting so strangely with the sleek and holiday appearance of our citizen soldiers, was the signal for a stentorian welcome, so soon as they were recognized, or at least the moment after. At first the vast mass of spectators seemed impressed with the reality of the scene, so vividly did the warlike appearance of the veterans bring to mind the memorable scenes of the bloody fields through which they have passed. But when the cheering did commence it ran along the line like wildfire, rising above the resonance of Capt. Goodwin's cannon salute fired simultaneously from the adjacent grounds. But, it was not so much in the noise and confusion that the braves were welcomed, as the looks of awe, and even of reverence with which the tattered colors were regarded, and the running fire of exclamations as they came in view. The sight of those flags everywhere made the welkin ring, and the hearts of the spectators throb with patriotic emotion. He would have been a bold man. who could have followed those noble emblems with a banner bearing the inscription, "Peace and conciliation with rebels in arms." 
Immediately after the guests came the Common Council, in carriages, Mayor Opdyke, Gen. Sandford, Alderman Boole and Farley leading, and the others following to the number of fifty. The cavalcade wound up with wounded officers and soldiers, in carriages, and the First regiment New-York cavalry. The route taken was up Broadway to Fourteenth-street, around Union square, up by Fourth-avenue, through Seventeenth-street to Broadway, up Broadway to Twenty-third street, down Twenty-third street to Madison-avenue, up Madison-avenue to Twenty-sixth street, thence to Fifth-avenue, and down Fifth avenue to Fourteenth-street, thence to Broadway, down Broadway to City Assembly Rooms, where they were dismissed.
One of the most interesting features of the programme was the review by Gen. Sickles at the Metropolitan Hotel, and by Gen. McClellan at the Fifth avenue, and all along the route the enthusiasm was immense. It was a long march, however, and it may well be imagined that at the end of it the soldiers were ready for the banquet.

The banquet given to the regiments, in the evening at the City Assembly Rooms, under the auspices of the City authorities, was a noticeable feature of the grand reception. The entire floor was occupied with tables, and there was a sufficient number of seats to accommodate 1,150 persons. Mr. Wood, of the Astor House, who has prepared dinners thus far for all the New-York City returning regiments, surpassed himself on this occasion by the elegant appearance of the festive board. A miniature flag fixed in a square of bread placed beside each plate, added much to the cheerfullness and patriotism of the scene. The banquet was presided over by Mayor Opdyke, who was supported on either side by Gen. Hall, Gen. Burnett, Col. Strong, Col. Hayman, Judge McCunn, Alderman Chipp, Alderman Farley, Alderman Boole, and other members of the Common Council. When the proper time had arrived, the Mayor called the assemblage to order and made the following speech.

Officers and men of the Thirty-seventh and Thirty-eighth Regiments New York volunteers: It is my privilege, on behalf of the Municipal authorities, To greet you with a warm-hearted welcome to your homes. The City of New-York is proud of such heroic sons. She feels that your gallant exploits have elevated the military reputation of her citizen soldiery, and that you have thus entitled yourselves to her everlasting gratitude. In her name I thank you for the patriotic services you have rendered to her and to the nation. You have left in the army a most enviable reputation. In every battle in which you participated, your conduct received the commendation of your brigade, division and corps commanders. Among the distinguished Generals under whose guidance you fought, and whose praises you received was the lamented Kearny, one of the bravest and most accomplished officers that our country has produced. To receive the encomiums of such a commander, is at once a high honor and a convincing proof of your merit. The same may be said of the praises accorded you by your latest Corps Commander, Major-Gen. Sickles, who gives emphasis to his commendations by joining in this public demonstration in your honor. The excellent record you have made in the army must be attributed, in a large degree, to the skill, courage and coolness of your regimental and company officers, among whom I may mention without being invidious, since he has distinguished himself in two wars, the brave veteran Colonel, who just commanded the Thirty-eighth, now Brig.-Gen. Ward. But this of itself is not sufficient to account for the uniform heroism you have evinced throughout your term of service. It required, in addition to good officers and brave men, the strong incentive of a fixed patriotic purpose. It required that your entire commands, officers and men, should realize the true character of the contest in which you were engaged, and the momentous issues it involved; and that you should know and feel that you had drawn your swords to defend liberty and Democratic institutions against the assaults of an unprovoked and wicked rebellion. It was sentiments like these, combined with strict military disciplines, that enabled you on many bloody fields to face the missiles of death without faltering, although they decimated your ranks and rent your banners. Heedless of the leaden storm, and jealousy guarding the honor of your colors, on which the stars and shamrock are blended, you stood as a wall of iron against the fiercest assaults of the enemy. But, alas, the perilous duty you have performed has sadly thinned your valorous ranks. Many of your brave comrades have offered up their lives in voluntary defence of their country and the institutions they loved. Instead of being with you today to share the willing homage we offer, they fill the honored graves of patriot soldiers. A grateful country will not fail to cherish their memory and keep it fresh to the latest time. While the country will now miss you also from the army in the field, its sacred cause cannot fail to be strengthened by your presence among us. Your devotion to the Union and to the Civil Liberty it symbolizes, impelled you to respond with alacrity to the first call for volunteers to battle in their defence. That devotion has been purified and strengthened by the fiery ordeal through which you have since passed. You now return to mingle with your fellow citizens, with your patriotism exalted and your hatred of treason intensified. Thus imbued, you cannot fail to exert a salutary influence on public sentiment. And if, in any contingency, the sympathy with the rebellion, which, to some extent, exists in our midst, should creep out into overt treason, you will stand in instant readiness and with willing hands to aid in crushing it. Your presence, therefore , adds to our sense of security that law and order will here maintain their supremacy over treason and anarchy. 
Permit me to renew my words of cordial welcome, and express the hope that health, happiness and fields of future glory await you.
During the delivery of his speech the Mayor was constantly interrupted with applause, and at times his voice was completely drowned by the vociferous acclamations of the soldiers.
He was followed by Col. Hayman, of the Thirty-seventh regiment, who referred to the red patch that adorned them as having a significance understood by every soldier in the command. It was Kearny who first introduced that patch of distinction, and the men who wore it had never been seen to go to the rear on the field of battle. Col. Stone, of the Thirty-eight regiment, next made a few remarks, in which he alluded to the hospitable manner in which himself and regiment had been received by the City, and for that treatment offered his thanks. He reviewed briefly the history of the regiment, and closed by eulogizing the former commander of the regiment, Gen. J. H. Hobart Ward. 
Other speakers followed Col. Stone, and the proceedings did not break up till quite late in the evening.

At the headquarters of this regiment, 497 Broadway, quite an interesting ceremony took place last evening. Gen. Ward, the commander of the regiment, received a despatch from Lieut. Col. Farnsworth, now at Albany, informing him that the regiment had been accepted, and requesting him to prepare for muster. At this time (eight o'clock) four hundred men had assembled for supper, and when the news was circulated such enthusiasm as at once arose has seldom been witnessed. The men ceased to be hungry, and cheer upon cheer was given for the Colonel, for the field officers, the Governor and Gen. Scott. During the evening Col. Ward and Major Potter made spirited addresses.

The Thirty-eighth Regiment (the Second Scott Life Guard), Colonel Ward commanding, left for the seat of war yesterday. The regiment has been quartered for a month at East New York. On Tuesday the men were paid off, and at a late hour in the afternoon of that day their muskets were delivered to them. The usual delay attended the departure of the regiment yesterday. Many persons, including ladies, were on the ground. Finally, at 2 1/4 o'clock, the regiment marched to the cars of the Broadway Railroad Company, which were in readiness. After the customary tearful leave-taking the regiment moved off, cheering and being cheered. The drummer boys, on top of the first car, made the air vocal with sheep-skin. All along the route the regiment was subjected to ovations. Handkerchiefs were waved, hats exalted, and bouquets thrown in the air. One elderly and enthusiastic lady made a desperate effort to launch several bundles of cigars in the car.
She failed, and the cigars fell short and into the gutter. At the fountain at the terminus of Bedford avenue the regiment halted, and after, for some unexplainable reason, waiting an hour and a half, at 5 o'clock marched to the foot of South Seventh street, and crossed the river to the foot of Grand street, New-York. Thence the line of march was through Grand street to Broadway, through Broadway to the Battery, and around to Pier No. 2, North River. Here the regiment embarked on the Red Jacket, which conveyed it to Perth Amboy, where the rails were taken for Washington. A large crowd greeted the soldiers with cheers and applause on their way, and a much larger crowd was assembled on the pier. Amid the hearty demonstrations of these, and to the music of the "Star Spangled Banner," played by Cornell's band, the steamer left the dock and headed down the bay. Until the boat disappeared in the distance, handkerchiefs were freely used--some serving for a parting salute, others being applied to moistened eyes.
Following is a list of the officers of the Thirty- eighth regiment:
Col. J. H. Hobart Ward; Lieut. Col. Addison Farnsworth; Major, James D. Potter; Adjutant, Wm. A. Herring; Quartermaster, Chas. J. Murphy; Paymaster, Thomas Picton; Sergeant-Major, Wright Banks; Surgeon, A. J. Berry; Surgeon's Mate, Stephen Griswold; Drum-Major, Michael McCarty;
Field-Major, Daniel E. Tylee.
Co. A-Captain, Daniel E. Gavitt; Lieutenant, J. H. Coburn.
Co. B.--Captain, Eugene McGrath; Lieut., Alex Roberts; Ensign, Robt. S. Watson.
Co. C.--Captain, Robert F. Allison; Lieut., A. Schaffer; Ensign, A. Fusk.
Company D--Captain, John F. Harrold; Lieut., Isaac Jellie.
Company E—Captain, Oliver A. Tilden; Lieut., John Mara.
Company F—Captain, Hugh McQuade; Lieut., John M. Cooney.
Company G--Captain, George F. Britton; Lieut., G.C. Brown.
Company H--Captain, W. H. Baird; Lieut., Jas. Byrne. 
Company I--Captain, Calvin S. Dewitt; Lieut., Charles Barbeur.
Company K--Captain, Samuel C. Dwyer; Lieut., W.H. Smith.
Dr. Berry is a well known resident of the Eastern District, and was mayor of Williamsburg when it was an independent city. He took his position in the regiment at very short notice, filling a vacancy occasioned by the death of the late surgeon. The regiment is thoroughly equipped, being handsomely uniformed, furnished with havelocks, having a new and improved kind of canteen, and in every respect well appointed. All its chief officers are good soldiers, having seen service in Mexico; and there can be no doubt it will give a good account of itself.

It is the purpose of the friends of Lieut. Colonel Farnsworth, of the Scott Life Guard, to raise funds for the purchase of a horse, saddle, sword, &c., as a suitable testimonial for his courage and valor. All who may feel desirous of aiding subscription will please address Mr. A. C. Lawrence, No. 345 Broadway.

Field Officers— _________.
Company A--Wounded--First Lieutenant H. Watson, Second Lieutenant .....,___ Cosine, ___Moran, privates ___Mallon, W.H. Marsten, Henry Quinn, Jacob Shonk. B--Killed--Private J.W. Day. Wounded-- Lieutenant E. Miller; Sergeant ___Slater, Corporal ___Bird, privates J.E. Bumdage, D. Mcintosh, Geo. White. Missing-Private W.A. Warren.
Company D.—Wounded--Captain George M. Dennett, Sergeant ___Smith, Corporal ____Mackey; privates Geo. Carman, George Simpson, Joshua Pine, A. Suydam, W. Karr, G. Kenniston, H. Bailey, G. Holcombe, A. Rockfellow,___ Erskine, ___Ham, ___Barrow, James Driscole, ___ Hinman. 
Company E.--Killed--Sergeants Mallory, Cox; Corporal Daly; privates G. C. Brown, Walter Garside, J. G. Lawrence. Wounded—Privates Thomas Holdham, James McDevitt, H. Wright. 
Company F--Wounded--Privates John McNeal, Martin O'Neal, P. McGaren, John C. Hearn. Missing--Private James McCabe. 
Company G--Killed--Corporal Moran, privates John Carryott, John Goodwin, H.E. Eaton, __Roberts. Wounded--Privates John Fullerton, W. Blake, P. Kane Henry Heggs, N. Owen, P. Hart, W. Haskell, James Mullen, T. Mahoney. 
Company H--Killed--Lieutenant Sharp. Wounded-- Captain Augustus Funk; privates H.S. Ware, J. Duff, S.L. Haskett, M.W. Hoard, J. Coakley, W. Roberts, A. Schultz. Missing--Privates J. Miller, J. Butler.
Company I--Killed--Captain Calvin S. Dewitt. Wounded--Privates H.P. West, Michael Conley, Edward Keyser. Missing--Privates ____Bruse, Van Der Heusen.
Company K--Wounded--Captain S. C. Dwyer; privates Hugh Donnoly, P. Gordon. Missing--privates ___Knox, ___Pierce.

Killed Wounded Missing Total 
Field - 1 - 1 
Company A - 9 - 9 
Company B 1 6 1 8 
Company C - - - - 
Company D - 17 - 17 
Company E 6 3 - 9
Company F - 4 1 5 
Company G 5 10 - 15 
Company H 1 8 2 11 
Comapny I 1 3 2 6 
Company K - 3 2 5 
Total 14 64 8 86

The Bull Run battle, in the way of killed, wounded and missing, made fearful havoc upon the Second Scott Life Guard, Thirty-eighth Regiment New York Volunteers. They fought gallantly, and the regiment now parades but about one half of its original number. Lieutenant Colonel Farnsworth is now in the city, having been sent here by the War Department for the purpose of establishing recruiting depots in order to recruit the regiment to the standard number. His present headquarters are at No. 345 Broadway. A look into the place yesterday gave indication of speedy filling up of the regiment, and that, too, with first-class men. As soon as the required number is obtained, the men will be ordered to Washington to join the regiment now encamped there. As is well known, Lieutenant Colonel Farnsworth was originally a Second Lieutenant in the New York Mexican Volunteers. He was twice promoted for his gallantly on the field, and received the command of his company at the battle of Chepultepec, after the death of the brave Captain Van O'Linda. His conduct at the battle of Bull Run was such as to cause him to receive the special notice of his immediate commander. The regiment is officered principally by men of experience, who have had opportunities to try their muscle and nerve on the battle field.