31st New York Infantry Regiment's Civil War Newspaper Clippings

Among the first who rushed to arms when Sumter fell were three sworn friends, named Addison Dougherty, Leopold C. Newman and Robert E. Daniell. They were quite young, and were all members of the New York bar. Their ardor and united action resulted in the formation of the Thirty-first Regiment of New York State Volunteers, Col. Pratt, which was early in the field. Virginia, then as now, the scene of conflict, shook with the tread of the legion they led to battle, and twenty-one bloody actions attest the glory and melancholy of their career. Dougherty, the major, called by private affairs to Central America, resigned, and returned last year to his home with a fever and died, lamented by numerous friends. Daniell, becoming major, met his death at Malvern Hills, and Newman, the subject of this sketch, alone remained of the heroic trio. The ominous rank of major was safely passed, and he became lieutenant colonel of the regiment. He had now fought in seventeen engagements without receiving a scratch, and naturally enough thought he bore a charmed life.
Imagine a finely formed, noble looking young fellow flushed with the conciousness of the deeds that try men’s souls, and full of hope for the future. The time of the regiment had ten days to expire when he came on to New York to see his old father. Scarcely had he reached home when a peremptory order from the War Department recalled him to the field. “I'll be home in a week, father" said he, and flew to arms. At the storming of Fredericksburg Sedgwick ordered the New York Thirty-first to carry the heights. “You may lose all your men," said the General, "but you will save the corps."
Newman, turning to his regiment, cried, " Now, gentlemen, over with you!" and banner in one hand, sword in the other, dashed into the fray and carried the frowning goal, to meet, however, an untimely end. He was carried off the field mortally wounded, and though the recipient of unremitting attentions from the proprietor of the National Hotel, Washington, died on Sunday morning, the 7th inst.—the last of the Three Captains.
A loving and dutiful son, a kind brother, a warm friend, an iron-hearted soldier, cut off in the prime of life, while every generous hope was fluttering in the hands of smiling fate. Let the nation mourn these three noble youths. 
Col. Newman was but twenty-four years of age, and was engaged to be married to a fair daughter of the city of Albany, who will receive the first notice of his death from these sad lines.

PERSONAL.--Dr. J. P. Steward, late assistant Surgeon of the 81st Regt., we are happy to say, has recovered his health and received a commission to the same position in the 74th Regt. He left here on Tuesday last to join the Regt. 
Dr. D. C. Spencer, assistant Surgeon in the 44th Regt. has been detached from the Regt. for hospital service.

Col. Frank Jones has been authorized by the Adjutant General’s Department to reorganize the Thirty-first New York Volunteer Regiment. He has already enlisted 200 men, and will in a short time have 700 more, all of whom have been in the service.

PHILADELPHIA, June 25.--The Thirty-first New York regiment passed through this city last night. Charles Knecht had to be taken to the hospital in consequence of spraining his ankle. 
Carran McCormick, a member of the New York Thirty-seventh regiment, attempted to jump ashore when the boat was near the wharf, but fell into the water and was drowned. His body has been recovered.

In accordance with orders from headquarters, General Yates has directed the Thirty-first Regiment (Colonel Pratt), now encamped at Riker's Island, and the Thirty-seventh (Colonel McCann), encamped at the Battery, to be prepared far departure for the seat of war to-morrow.

THE LATE LIEUTENANT-COLONEL NEWMAN.—The remains of the late Lieut.-Col. Leopold C. Newman, which were brought to this city from Washington on Tuesday, were consigned to Greenwood Cemetery yesterday. Lieut.-Col. Newman was a practicing lawyer in this city before the war broke out. Obtaining a commission as lieutenant in the Thirty-first regiment New York Volunteers, he contributed largely in filling up the ranks. He was in all the battles in which the regiment participated, and was promoted to a captaincy for brave conduct. He was subsequently promoted to the position of lieutenant-colonel, and as such he led the regiment in the last assault upon Fredericksburg, where he was wounded in the left foot. Some of the bones having been broken, amputation was deemed necessary by the surgeons, under the effects of which he died. His body was consigned to the grave yesterday with military honors. The Twenty-eight regiment, National Guard, with Band and Drum Corps, turned out strongly. A number of soldiers on furlough and discharged soldiers also attended the funeral, together with at large concourse of citizens.

We publish with regret the announcement received from Washington of the death of Lieut. Col. Leopold C. Newman, of the Thirty-first New York Volunteers, from wounds received at the last battle of Fredericksburg. He was a young man of considerable ability and well-known among a large circle in this city and Brooklyn. He was a Democrat in politics, and was the originator of the Young Men's Democratic Association, of Brooklyn, which rendered such valuable services during the last Presidential canvas. Col. Newman was also considerable of a stump orator, being a lawyer of merit and distinction, all of which he yielded up upon the altar of patriotism and devotion to his country's flag.

Wednesday, May 21.
The 31st N. Y. Regiment will return to that State on Sunday from the Rappahannock. It was organized under Col. Pratt, and has been in all the battles with the army of the Potomac, excepting Williamsburgh and the second Bull Run fight. When Col. Pratt was promoted to be a Brigadier General, the Adjutant, Frank Jones, was appointed Colonel, and it was he who led them in the late attack and capture of Mary's Heights at Fredericksburg. The Regiment formerly numbered 1,000 and now has only 300 left. 
The Supreme Court of the District of Columbia to-day, pronounced a decree of total divorce in the case of General John M. Brannan against Eliza Brannan, and granting him the guardianship of his child. The material facts caused much excitement and interest five years ago, especially in New York.
It appears that Col. Winan, with whom she eloped, was shot through the heart at the battle of Fair Oaks.

The 31st New York Regiment.
WASHINGTON, May 22.-A change having been made in the programme, Quartermaster Gregory says the 31st New York regiment will reach New York city on Saturday--a day earlier than was expected.

[Special Despatch to the Evening Post.]
WASHINGTON, June 25.—Everything is quiet over the Potomac to-day. No movements of troops on either side have taken place. 
The Thirty-first Regiment of New York has just arrived here.

The Montezuma Regiment of this City, commanded by Col. William H. Browne, formerly of the Mexican War, has been accepted by the Government. Some of the corps have already been inspected and quartered.
The patriotic are invited to contribute funds, or other necessaries for immediate use, and to deliver the same to Hon. John W. Edwards, No. 111 Broadway, (Trinity Buildings,) to Hon. Frederick A. Conkling, M. C., to Stewart L. Woodford, Esq., No. 16 Wall street and U. S. Court Building, Adjutant Orlando L. Stewart, no. 16 Wall street, or to Col. W. H. Browne, No. 84 Nassau st.

THE 31st N. Y. Regiment is to be re-organized. Major J. Barnett Sloan is to
take the place of Lieutenant Colonel.

Col. Frank Jones has been authorized by the Adjutant General's Department to reorganize the Thirty-first New York Volunteer Regiment. He has already enlisted 200 men.

Col. Pratt's regiment, stationed on Riker's Island, has been paid off and is now fully armed and equipped. They are under marching orders, are and expected to arrive today.

NEAR FALMOUTH, Va., May 5, 1863.
You will confer a favor by inserting the following list of killed, wounded and missing in this regiment:—
Killed—Lieutenant Jewsberry. Wounded—Lieutenant Colonel Newman; Captain Sloan, Acting Major; Robert Crozier, Sergeant Major. Missing--(Supposed to be taken prisoners)—Captains Sorakhard and Ebbets, Lieutenant Herman; also, a large number of companies C, F and A.
They were on picket, and greatly exposed.
The following in Company A, are wounded:—John Grady, Donald Ireland, Robert Mitchell, John Burke and John Wright.
Company B.—Killed—Wm. M. Phillemy. Wounded— Thomas Gault, Peter Colligan, John Donovan, Wm. Mc-Harrig, David Smith, Patrick Kelly, David A. Laughlin, Patrick Gibney.
Company D.—Killed—Thomas O'Callaghan, Michael Gannon. Wounded—Corporal Allen, M. Mulloy, Sergeant Seymour, Sergeant Egan, Corporal Burns, M. McLaughlin, Theo. Thies, James Ashby, George Copping.
Company E.-Wounded-Michael Hays, Jno. Collins, Henry Bruntz.
Company G.—Killed--Lieutenant Joyce, Jas. Darcey, W. O'Connor. Wounded—Michael Powers, Matthew Ferguson, John Devlin, Lieutenant Flood, B. G. Weeks, W. Campbell, Geo. Jotzy, G. Weaver, M. Mariga, Jno. Harris, Jas. Cudmore.
Company I—Killed—Patrick Brady, Thos McNamara, H. Van Houton. Wounded--Walter Tim, Jos. McCaulken, Wm. Mills. Missing—Michael Mehan. 
Company C—Killed-C. Kossel. 
Any information regarding these or others will be cheerfully furnished their friends by the chaplain of the regiment. This list is as complete as present data can make it. F. McAtee.
Chaplain Thirty first New York.

Near Fredericksburg, VA., May 9, 1863.
Enclosed find a list of the killed, wounded and missing in this regiment in the actions of May 2, 3 and 4 which please publish for the information of relatives and friends. Respectfully yours, &c.,
Thomas Jones, Colonel Thirty-first New York 
May 2.-- Killed--Henry Volkman. Wounded--Sergt. Major Robert Crozier, Patrick Gibney, Sergt. Charles M. Seymour, Michael Lyons, Corp. Michael Bowers, John Kussehefski.
May 3.—Killed--Second Lieut. John Jewsbury, William McPhillamy, Joseph Kassell, Balthez Schick, Michael Gannon, Sergt. John Joyce, William Oscannon, James Dorsey, Patrick Brady, Thomas McNamara and Henry Van Houten. Wounded--Lieut. Col. L. C. Newman, foot, severely;
Capt. J. Barnet Sloan, Acting Major, leg, slightly; Corp. John Grady, leg; Corp. John G. Wright, shoulder; Robert Mitchell, thigh; Donald Ireland, thigh; John Burk, leg; Corp. David O. Laughlin, leg; Peter Colligan, thigh; John Donnovan, thigh; Thomas Gault, breast; Thomas Hart, leg; William McHarrig, hand; David Simons, arm; Patrick Kelly, arm; James Carmody, arm; David Fredenthal, Hiram Frankel, Thomas Hallchern, severely; Michael A. Malloy, groin; Michael McLoughlin, foot; James Ashley, hand; George Copping, abdomen; Corporal Bernard Burns, leg; Corporal John Allen, foot; Corporal Theodore Tyre, forehead; Sergeant Henry Darris, leg; Sergeant John Egan, forehead; John Collins, Michael Hays, Henry Burns, Francis Sarzkoski, leg; Sergeant Garret Cotter, breast, severely; Corporal Patrick Flood, shoulder, severely; Corporal Stephen Weaver, leg, slightly; James Cudmore, wrist, severely; Richard Fitzsimmons, slightly; Mathew Ferguson, finger, slightly; Henry Hawks, thigh, severely; George Jetry, Michael Merrigan, James Gunn, Joseph McCulkin, William Mills, Walter C. Yimms. Missing--J. Francis Barry, James H. Floyd, John F. Langdon, Francis Mullen. 
May 4.--Wounded--Patrick Looney, Benjamin Weeks. Missing--Captain Henry Shickhardt, Captain George A. Ebbetts, First Lieutenant George Hoerman, First Lieutenant Erskine Rich, Second Lieutenant John M. Webster, Second Lieutenant Julius Erhard, First Sergeant George Martin, Sergeant Thomas Burns, Sergeant William Willison, Sergeant Samuel McQuaid, Corporal Charles Hicks, Robert Baxter, John Francis Barry, Owen Casey, Patrick Gugan, Frederick Hahn, Robert King William H. Lyons, Benjamin Moore, Thomas McMannus, Henry Nelson, William Penny, James Real, Christopher Roberts, Aguste Renaud, John Spier, John Sullivan, Michael Tracy, Sergeants Nathan Smith, Charles Kenecht, Reinhold Schoepe, Henchimus Henrig, Isdora Adler; Corporals Mike Miller, John Schuleseweke, Valentine Hensel, Henry Pechtter, Henry Wendel; Constance Bauer, Clemens Wenisch, Julien Cramaunski, Charles Dix, Julius Effinger, Harris Goldman, Herman Levy, Carl Deutsch, Carmel Idiona, Herman Krullscheck, Joseph Kassell, John Kessler, John Kies, William Lowe, John G. Meyer, Christian Matri, Charles Naderschuk, Julius Raschke, Julian Smoliniski, Soloman Salusch, Salice Wolfe, Louis Stine, Andrew Schaffner, Francis E. Schonfeit, Auguste Spechet, Stainslaus Fargoseriski, Weber Rilian, Henry Wachmann, Charles Washermer, David Johnston, Herman Smith, Jas. Madden, Isadore Linderman, Frederick Hanch, Frederick Brown, Corporal John Wild, Corporal Nicholas Murtaugh, Joseph Alchorn, William Crunnery, Patrick Noonan, Samuel Nash, John Sullivan, Daniel Webster.

Killed .......................................................12
Wounded ................ .................................58
Missing..................... ................................87
CHARLES C. HAIGHT, Adjt. Thirty first N. Y.

Camp 31st Regt., N. Y. V.,
May 10, 1863.
My Dear Mother—I avail myself of the very first opportunity I have had since our late campaign, to inform you that I have escaped unhurt. It is true that I was struck in the stomach with a piece of shell, but it was almost spent when it reached me, and did not do me any further injury than to stun me for about five minutes, when I again rejoined my regiment. Some of the officers of the regiment saw me hit and fall, and imagined I was killed, and so said to their brother officers, all of whom expressed their regret. So I will leave it to yourself to imagine how much they were surprised and pleased to see me in five minutes, afterwards join them, and share in their well-earned glory, for truly the 31st N. Y. Vols. Have earned a reputation for themselves second to no other regiment in the army, and are now almost idolized by the 6th Corps, as they have made the two most brilliant charges that were made during the campaign. It was the 31st Regiment that opened the way (by a dashing charge) for the whole 6th Corps to pass to and take Fredericksburgh, and it was the Flying Division (to which they are attached) that stormed and took the Heights of Fredericksburgh, that on former occasions failed three of Sumner's Divisions and one of Hooker's "Old" Division, also one Division on the same morning that we took it. 
Our Division went into the fight with 2800 active and efficient men, and came out with 1100. Our Regiment had of active and efficient men 434 going into the battle, and today we can only muster (fit for service,) 214.
We have lost in officers, 1 killed, 2 wounded and 6 missing (either killed or captured). 
We broke up our camp on the 28th of April and came out of battle about 2 o'clock on the morning of the 7th inst. We had to take the advance at the commencement of the fight, and to bring up the rear on the retreat.
Where the 6th Corps were engaged is said to have been the hardest fighting which has taken place.

May 9th, 1863.
To the Editor of the Times:
Now that we are somewhat settled I will tell you what I have been doing lately. We left camp on the 28th of April and marched to within a mile of the river, when we rested until night, when we—that is our brigade--had to carry the pontoons down to the bank, where we had a hard night's work of it, I assure you. Our old brigade was the first to cross. They jumped in the boats and pushed right over, surprising the rebels and driving them from their rifle-pits on the bank of the river. There was no fighting until the 2d of May, when our regiment had the honor of beginning the battle, which we did in beautiful style. The Rebs had their reserve pickets in the old ravine where we were in our last battle under Burnside. General Sedgwick wanted to drive them out, so as to have room to mass his corps, the 6th, and he selected our regiment to do it. The Colonel took us around one end of the ravine, which could not be seen by the Rebs, and we marched as silently as possible towards them. They first discovered us when about fifty yards distant, when they rallied by company and fired into us, saying, "give it to the Yankee s—s of b—s." Our regiment then started on the double-quick and commenced firing, soon starting the whole line of their pickets. Some of our boys kept chasing them till they were almost on top of their breastworks, and would hardly come back when commanded. As soon as we had taken the ravine, the General formed a line of skirmishers, and then crossed the rest of the corps for the great battle of the 3d. We only lost about a dozen men in this affair. At about 2 o'clock in the morning, we commenced to form in line of battle. Our right division was given the right of the line to the rear of Fredericksburg, in front of the works where so many of our brave boys fell at the time when Burnside went over. They are the same works that the Irish Brigade failed to take after charging four times. We arrived about daylight, and just as firing had commenced—some of our troops, I could not say which, had been repulsed. Our brigade formed in two lines, the 31st N. Y. and the 61st Pennsylvania in the front, the 43d and 6th Maine in the second line, with the 5th Wisconsin in the front as skirmishers. There we lay down till about one o'clock. In the mean time our batteries and the rebel forts kept a continual firing, and the air was thick with shell and other missiles. Our regiment had ten men wounded while laying here. Well, 1 o'clock came, and up jumped our brigade, leaving our knapsacks, haversacks and canteens behind. As soon as our heads were visible above the hill behind which we had been lying, such a shower of bullets, grape and canister met us that it almost took away our breath—in fact it did take away many a poor fellow's breath for life. Notwithstanding this, the brigade kept steadily advancing, more falling at ever step, until we were right into the fort, when all that were there were taken prisoners. You ought to have seen our boys give it to the rebs, while they were skedaddling before we reached the fort. Both our color-sergeants fell wounded, and the colors fell with them. But they no sooner touched ground, than some one else had them. One of our lieutenants took the State colors from a wounded man and carried it safely to the fort. The Thirty-first's flag was the first one in the rebel works. Our State color got a whole charge of grape shot through it. Our brigade took seven hundred prisoners and five pieces of the famous Washington Artillery, caissons, horses, and all with them. In this charge our regiment lost ninety-one men killed and wounded; our company lost three killed and four wounded. The following are the casualties in our company: Killed—Henry Van Houten, Patrick Brady, and Thomas McNamara. Wounded—Walter Turner, James Gunn, William Mills and Michael Barrett. Officers killed--Lieut. Tuesbury; wounded—Lieut. Col. Newman, acting Major Sloan and Sergeant-Major Crozier. As soon as we were rested we started in pursuit, and came up with them about two miles from the town, where they had more intrenchments, and large reinforcements. Brook's division were engaged when we got on the ground, and was having a rough time of it, barely holding their own. So our brigade was again formed in line of battle, and advanced to within supporting distance.—Luckily for us, our batteries repulsed them just as we came up, and it being then quite dark, we did not push them. During that night the rebels got in our rear and into Fredericksburg. I do not know what they made the next day; we were in front all the time, but were not engaged. That night, when the corps was falling back across the river, our division was left to hold the rebs in check until the force crossed over. Somehow in the dark the rebs got around and surprised us, taking one hundred of our regiment prisoners, together with the most of the 43d. As I said before, we left our knapsacks behind when we charged the heights, and that was the last we saw of them, so that I lost everything belonging to me, grub and all. We suffered for something to eat, but now we all feel right enough. You have heard or read of the gallant fighting of the 6th corps. The flying, or light division, did their share of it, but the 31st had the lion's portion of the fighting in the light division. As usual, I see we get no credit in the papers, at least the Washington papers say nothing about us at all. The 31st is the common talk of the whole Corps, and in our march back to camp the other regiments would sing out, "Bully for the two years' men!" Nearly the whole of company A, F, and C were taken prisoners together with their officers. Capt. Ebbets was among them. As usual, Co. I came off lucky. Co. D had two sergeants killed, and two wounded. Lt.-Colonel Newman got a grapeshot in his foot, and will probably lose a leg. Henry Van Houton was struck in the head with a grapeshot and instantly killed; Captain Sloan was wounded in the leg with a bullet. Col. Jones is truly a brave man, as are also the rest of our officers. Lieut. Brown acted nobly. Our Captain (Frossard), who has been twice wounded, once at West Point, and at Gaines' Mill, and had a tree fall on him last winter, will lead us home. He received a shot on his sword scabbard, taking half of it away. Look out for him when we come home; you will know him by that. I believe we are to go home with our arms, but when, I can't tell. The Colonel has sent an application to the War Department for the immediate discharge of the regiment, so I shall live in hopes of seeing you again soon. J. D.

This regiment, of this city, commanded by Colonel William H. Browne, formerly of the Mexican war, has been accepted by the government. A portion of the corps has already been accepted and quartered. The patriotic are invited to contribute funds or other necessaries for immediate wants, and to send the same to Hon. John W. Edmon, No. 111 Broadway (Trinity Building); to Hon. Frederick A. Conkling, M.C.; to Stewart L. Woodford, Esq., United States Attorney, No. 16 Wall street; or at the United States Court House; Adjutant Orlando L. Stewart, No. 16 Wall street, or to Col. W. H. Browne, No. 84 Nassau street.

FUNERAL OF LIEUTENANT PROSS, OF THE THIRTY-FIRST REGIMENT NEW YORK VOLUNTEERS.--The police and military are making quite extensive preparations for the funeral of Lieutenant Pross, of the Thirty-first regiment (formerly of the Metropolitan Police), killed at the battle of West Point, Virginia. The funeral will start from St. Marcus' church, Sixth street at half past one tomorrow. Superintendent Kennedy has issued the following order:—
NEW YORK, May 22, 1862.
Captain ____, Precinct—:—In accordance with the recommendation of the Committee of Arrangements for the funeral of Lieutenant Frederick Pross (who resigned his membership in the force to volunteer in the military service of the country), of Company F, thirty-first regiment New York State Volunteers, who was killed at the head of his company at the battle of West Point, you will parade on Sunday, 25th inst., with two sergeants and twenty-five patrolmen—captain and sergeants in full uniform, with belts and batons, patrolmen full uniform, except batons.
Drill Instructor Captain Turnbull is assigned to the command of the force upon this occasion, to be assisted by such aids as he may designate.
The line will be formed in numerical order in Washington square, south side, right resting on University place, at twelve o'clock M. precisely. Captains will report to Captain Turnbull immediately upon the arrival of their commands in Washington square. 
The force of the Seventeenth Precinct will be detailed as the guard of honor. The flags at the station houses will be displayed at half mast during the day.
John A. Kennedy, Superintendent.

The line will be formed on First avenue, right resting on Sixth street. Societies intending to join in the obsequies are requested to report to Captain Turnbull on the ground. The line of march will be through Eighth street to Broadway, down Broadway to South ferry. The police force will cross over to Brooklyn and continue the line of march up Atlantic street, to Court street, down Court street to Hamilton avenue ferry, along Hamilton avenue to the bridge.

Capt. Willhack, of Company H, Thirty-first regiment New York Volunteers, was the recipient of a very handsome sword, from the Fifth ward Police, yesterday. The presentation took place in front of the Station House, Willhack closed the interesting ceremony.

Colonel Pratt's command will proceed to Riker's Island this afternoon, to be quartered there for the present, in order to perfect themselves in Hardee's Light Infantry tactics. It is expected that the men will receive their equipments in a few days. Many of the officers are men of experience, having been engaged in actual conflict. The following are the names of some of the officers:-Colonel, C. E. Pratt; Company A, Captain J. J. S. Hassler; Company B, Captain L. C Newman; Company C, Captain Rezeswki; Company D, Captain M. O. McGarry.

The camps at Riker's Island and Fort Schuyler were yesterday visited by an immense number of persons, relatives of the volunteers now stationed at those encampments. The Major Anderson, the regular boat of the Sutler's Department, was crowded on each of its trips to the camps, and the different landings, on the arrival of the boat, were each the scene of much excitement. A rival boat, the Thomas Hunt, was yesterday ran in opposition to the Major Anderson, and much angry feeling seemed to prevail between the two boats. At Great Neck it appears that the Thomas Hunt, in her hurry to obtain the Fort Schuyler landing left over one hundred passengers, which the Major Anderson took on board. The Thirty-first regiment is at present encamped at Riker's Island and Colonel Baker's California regiment at Fort Schuyler. On next Thursday a new steamboat—the General Arthur—built expressly for the occasion, is to be put in service, in place of the Major Anderson, on this line. This boat, it is understood, will also run to Fort Hamilton, in addition to the other Camps on the Sound. The boat will be commanded by Captain Collins and an experienced body of officers, who will provide for the comfort of the passengers in the best manner. The fare will remain the same as usual.

Colonel Pratt's Thirty-first regiment New York volunteers did not get off yesterday morning, as was generally anticipated. After striking their tents at Riker's Island on Saturday, and marching down Broadway to the Park they were ordered to rest for an hour, and proceed to Washington by a special train at midnight. When the hour for their departure arrived, however, they received word to remain in the Park barracks until further orders. At eleven o'clock last night it was not known what time the regiment would start for the seat of the war, but it was supposed by the officers that they would leave at noon to-day, or this evening at the furthest.

The regiment is almost completely equipped, with the exception of Havelocks, of which the men are in want. If any persons having these articles which they wish to bestow upon the regiment will send them, with the name of donor enclosed, to the Park barracks, care of Lieutenant Colonel Brown, the regiment will consider itself under the greatest obligations. It will be necessary that these havelocks be sent before two o'clock—the time of departure. 
Dr. T. H. HAMILTON, Surgeon.

Many of the volunteers of the original Polish Legion joined the 31st Regiment, Col. Pratt, and some went away with the Garibaldi Guard. Julian Allen has nobly exerted himself, like many other of our best citizens, though foreign born, and he now offers another regiment of 800 men to the Secretary of War. This regiment will have a battery of Bishop's patent breech-loading guns. A few volunteers will find a good commander by joining this regiment.

reported killed in the battle of Antietam, was unhurt in that battle. Gen. W. H. French, and his son, William, reported wounded, are well, uninjured and on duty.

The following appeared in yesterday morning's HERALD under, our "Washington Despatches" head:—
The officer of the Thirty-first New York regiment who was captured by the enemy on Sunday last, near Bailey's Cross Roads, was not a Lieutenant, as reported, but Captain Fish. The Company to which he was attached were on picket duty in that vicinity, and while he and his two Lieutenants and eight or ten men were searching for some of the men who had straggled off, they strayed about an eighth of a mile beyond our line of picket, when they were fired upon by a large body of rebels. Several of the men were wounded, among whom was Captain Fish, who was shot in the breast. At this juncture his horse stumbled, falling upon him, and before he could extricate himself, the enemy were upon him and made him a prisoner. Capt. F. was from New Orleans. The others of his party escaped. It gives us much pleasure to be enabled to contradict the above. Adjutant Jones called at the HERALD office, and states that there is no officer in the capacity of captain or lieutenant, nor is he aware that there is even a private in the whole 900 men of the Thirty-first regiment named Fish. The Adjutant is at present in New York on business of the regiment, and showed his regimental papers in corroboration of holding the position above named in the gallant corps referred to. It is probably the Thirty-eighth regiment to which Captain Fish is attached, at it appears by the same despatches that it was a picket guard of fifty of the Thirty-eight New York Volunteers, under Captain Bennett, who left their camp, near the Fairfax Theological Seminary, and fell in with the rebels, whom they engaged at Bailey's Cross Roads.

Colonel Brown.—Among the officers now in the field, eminently fit to be placed at the head of one of our new regiments, is Lieutenant Colonel W. H. Brown of the Thirty-first New York Volunteers. At the outset of the war, he gave up his law business and devoted himself to raise a regiment. He afterwards united the men he had raised with those of Colonel C. E. Pratt, and thus was formed the Thirty-first regiment, which has done such good service in the field. Lieutenant Colonel Brown took part in the Mexican war, and his experience there and in the present war, as well as his military tastes and education, make him a fit man to bring a fresh regiment quickly to an efficient state.