Police Commissioner James Bowen, of the Metropolitan Police of New York city, under authority from this State and with the consent of the general government, recruited this brigade, with the assistance of the police departments of New York city and Brooklyn, and was later appointed Brigadier-General of United States Volunteers by the President. Upon his recommendation, the following were appointed to organize and command the regiments:
Col. Charles S. Turnbull, July 12, 1862, the 1st Regiment, which became the 131st Volunteers.
Col. L. D. H. Currie, July 12, 1862, the 2d Regiment, which became the 133d Volunteers.
Col. Lewis Benedict, July 12, 1862, the 3d Regiment, which became the 162d Volunteers.
Col. Chas. B. Morton, September 22, 1862, the 4th Regiment, which became the 173d Volunteers.
Col. Theodore W. Parmele, October 3, 1862, the 5th Regiment, which became the 174th Volunteers.
Major Morris De Camp received authority October 28, 1862, to recruit a battalion of cavalry for the brigade; he was succeeded November 19, 1862, by Maj. Wm. B. Hyde, and he, January 10, 1863, by Col. Thaddeus P. Mott, under whom the battalion was increased to a regiment which received the designation 14th Regiment of Cavalry.
The regiments of this brigade never served together in the field as a brigade organization.
The above is taken from New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.