47th Regiment, New York National Guard
Mustered in: May 27, 1862
Mustered out: September 1, 1862
Left the state: June 23, 1863
Mustered out: July 23, 1863
The following is taken from New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.
This regiment, located in Brooklyn, E. D., is still in existence. Its Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I were organized in 1862, and Company K in 1872. Company C was disbanded in 1878, and Companies G and H in 1863. A new Company G was organized in 1864, and a new Company H in 1878; the latter was disbanded in 1885. April 28, 1898, the regiment was authorized to organize as a twelve-company regiment preparatory to its entry into the United States service, in which service it was mustered as the 47th Regiment, N. Y. Volunteer Infantry, May 24, 1898, and mustered out March 31, 1899. Companies C, H, L and M were disbanded April 24, 1899, and new Companies C and H organized April 24, 1899.
The regiment has received authority to place silver rings on the lances of its colors, engraved as follows:
On the National Color.—Fort McHenry, Md., 1862; Washington, D. C., 1863; Spanish-American war, 1898; Porto Rico, 1898-9.
On the State Color.— Draft riots, 1863; Railroad strike, 1877; Fire Island, 1892; Brooklyn, 1895.
Service in the War of the Rebellion.
The regiment left the State (eight companies) May 30, 1862, and was mustered in the service of the United States, for three months, from May 27, 1862, at Fort McHenry, Baltimore, Md., where, commanded by Col. J. V. Meserole, it served until September 1, 1862, when it was mustered out at Brooklyn.
June 18, 1863, it was ordered to Harrisburg, Pa., and June 21, 1863, it left the State (seven companies), commanded by Colonel Meserole. It served in the 3d Brigade, defenses south of the Potomac, Department Washington, and was mustered out of the United States service, July 23, 1863.