173rd Infantry Regiment

Nickname: Fourth Metropolitan Guard; Fourth National Guard

Mustered in: November 10, 1862
Mustered out: October 18, 1865

The following is taken from New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912. 
September 22, 1862, Col. Charles B. Morton received authority to recruit this regiment as one of the Metropolitan Brigade; it was organized at Riker's Island, and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years November 10, 1862.
The companies were recruited under the auspices of the police departments of the cities of New York and Brooklyn, principally in those cities; Company B was, however, originally intended for the 87th Infantry, which was discontinued September 6. 1862.
The regiment left the State December 9, 1862; it served in the 2d Brigade, Emory's Division, Department of the Gulf, from December, 1862; in the 2d Brigade, 3d Division, 19th Corps, from April, 1863; in the 1st Brigade, 3d Division, 19th Corps, from July, 1863; in the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 19th Corps, from February, 1864; in the 3d Brigade, 1st Division, 19th Corps, from March, 1864; in the Army of the Shenandoah, from March, 1865; in the defenses of Washington, from April, 1865; in the Department of the South and of Georgia, from June and July, 1863, respectively; and, commanded by Col. Lewis M. Peck, it was honorably discharged and mustered out October 18, 1865, at Savannah, Ga.
During its service the regiment lost by death, killed in action, 2 officers, 21 enlisted men; of wounds received in action, 4 officers, 24 enlisted men; of disease and other causes, 2 officers, 126 enlisted men; total, 8 officers, 171 enlisted men; aggregate, 179; of whom 31 enlisted men died in the hands of the enemy.

The following is taken from The Union army: a history of military affairs in the loyal states, 1861-65 -- records of the regiments in the Union army -- cyclopedia of battles -- memoirs of commanders and soldiers. Madison, WI: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. volume II. 
One Hundred and Seventy-third Infantry.—Cols., Charles B. Morton, Lewis M. Peck; Lieut.-Cols., Lewis M. Peck, William N. Green, Jr., Mellen T. Holbrook; Majs., A. Power Galloway, George W. Rogers. This regiment, known as the 4th Metropolitan Guard, and 4th National Guard, was recruited in the cities of New York and Brooklyn by the police departments of those cities, as one of the Metropolitan brigade. It was organized at Riker's island and there mustered into the U. S. service for three years on Nov. JO, 1862. On leaving the state, Dec. 9, the regiment sailed for Louisiana, where it was assigned to the 2nd brigade of Emory's (3d) division, 19th corps. It came under fire for the first time at Fort Bisland, losing 7 killed and wounded, and a detachment under Capt. Conrady skirmished at Breaux bridge, Bayou Teche. The regiment took an active part in the siege of Port Hudson, where its total loss was 92 killed and wounded. Among the mortally wounded in the second assault on June 14, was Maj. Galloway. It was engaged at Carrion Crow bayou in Nov., 1863, and the following spring, in the 3d brigade of Emory's division, 19th corps, it took part in Banks' Red River campaign, being engaged in the fights at Sabine cross-roads, Pleasant Hill and Mansura, its loss in the first two battles being 232 killed, wounded and missing. Lieut.-Col. Green was killed at Pleasant Hill. Though the regiment was not again engaged in battle after the close of this campaign, it continued in active service. In July, 1864, it accompanied the 1st and 2nd divisions to Virginia and became a part of Sheridan's Army in the Shenandoah. It was on detached service with Currie's brigade at Harper's Ferry during the battle of Winchester, and at the time of the battle of Cedar creek was guarding wagon trains and was not engaged in the fight. The regiment remained with Dwight's (1st) division in the valley until April, 1865, and then moved to Washington for a number of weeks. The war was now over, and after taking part in the grand review it was ordered to Savannah, and was there mustered out under Col. Peck, Oct. 18, 1865. The regiment lost during service in killed and mortally wounded, 6 officers and 45 enlisted men; died of disease and other causes, 2 officers and 126 enlisted men, a total of 179.

Other Resources

This is meant to be a comprehensive list. If, however, you know of a resource that is not listed below, please send an email to ng.ny.nyarng.list.historians@army.mil with the name of the resource and where it is located. This can include photographs, letters, articles and other non-book materials. Also, if you have any materials in your possession that you would like to donate, the museum is always looking for items specific to New York's military heritage. Thank you.

Dill, Samuel Phillips. Journal of the escape and re-capture of Samuel P. Dill, late Capt. and Brevet Major 173d regt. New York vols. Brooklyn: J. H. Broach & Bro., printers, 1867.

Fowler, P. H. 1814-1879. (Philemon Halsted). Memorials of William Fowler. New York: A.D.F. Randolph & Co. 1875.

Green family, of Worcester, Mass.  Additional papers, 1826-1919.  
William Nelson Green, Sr.'s papers include thirteen diaries and many receipted bills and promissory notes from both his professional and personal life. The first eleven diaries written between 1832 and 1846 reveal a young man bent on self improvement and achieving for himself a place in the community and an appropriate spouse. Some of his musings on this subject are written in a shorthand-like code. The last two diaries from 1869 and 1870 concern the writer's deteriorating health and the activities of his family and friends. Some of the diaries include a summary of the year's hunting (e.g., number and type of bird shot, as well as locale). William Nelson Green Jr.'s papers, except for the twenty-five letters written between September 1859 and June 1860 from Phillips Academy in Andover, relate chiefly to his military career: his experiences; his attempts (with the help of his uncle, Andrew Haswell Green) to gain advancement; and the efforts to obtain for him a phosthumous commission as brevet brigadier general. The many letters written by him are preserved. The collection of those written to him include those from family members and eight letters from a young woman named "Sallie" (who he had met in Annapolis, Md., in 1862). Several personal letters taken from Confederate soldiers captured at Chancellorsville, Va., are among his "mementos of Dixie." Young William's wounding and subsequent death are the occasion for many expressions of grief and solicitude from correspondents among whom are Mrs. Maud Conant ( - ), who nursed him in New Orleans; a cousin who visited him; as well as the chaplain and several doctors. There are also two diaries written during 1860 and 1864, a scrapbook of twelve "Private Letters &c. ...," and a biography prepared in 1901 by E. H. H. (probably Edward Hagaman Hall). Original material was pasted onto sheets of paper in preparing this biography. The legacy left to the heirs of Andrew Haswell Green (1820-1903) on his death accounts for most of the Timothy Ruggles Green material. His correspondence is mainly with the other heirs, banks, lawyers, and trustees. 
7 boxes. 24 v. ; octavo. 
Located at the American Antiquarian Society.

Leighton, N. W. Papers, 1861-1899
Correspondence, chiefly with Leighton's wife, Mary Elizabeth Leighton, diaries, and other materials, chiefly relating to his Civil War service as a surgeon with two New York regiments, including 173rd New York Infantry (organized in New York City). 
100 items.
Located at Mount Holyoke College.

Peck, Lewis M. "History of the One hundred and seventy-third New York volunteers, Fourth metropolitan brigade." Brooklyn advance XI (1884) 4-11.

Peck, Lewis M. A brief sketch of the 173rd regiment, N.Y.V. [Brooklyn]: 1868.
Thank you to Jon Peters for submitting a copy of this.

Spelman, Denis, fl. 1865. Denis Spelman military order, 1865.
This collection contains an order issued to Lieutenant Denis Spelman of the 173rd New York Volunteers by the Union Brigadier General E. P. Davis on 4 October 1865 to be relieved from his present duty with his regiment and to report to the county jail in Ogeechee, Georgia. This order was written when First Division of the Union army was stationed in Savannah, Georgia towards the end of the American Civil War.
1 folder (.05 cubic feet)
Located at the Georgia Historical Society.


Items the museum holds are in bold.