153rd New York Infantry Regiment's Civil War Newspaper Clippings

Seven companies of this regiment were organized at Fonda and three companies at Plattsburgh. It was designed to raise a regiment at each place, but on account of suspension of bounties and order for nine months volunteers, recruiting advanced slowly, and the above companies were consolidated. 
Capt. Strain, of Co. H, is a resident of this city, and son of Joseph Strain. He was appointed Adjutant of the regiment organizing at Plattsburgh, and on account of peculiar fitness, was promoted to the command of a company. He was tendered the position of Captain without solicitation. Actuated by pure and patriotic motives, he goes forth to the field of strife to maintain the honor of the flag of his country, with the well wishes of a host of friends.

THE 153D REGIMENT N. Y. S. V. - - The following is a list of the Field, Staff, and Line officers of the 153d Regiment, which passed through this city on Saturday evening. Seven companies of this Regiment was organized in Fonda and three in Plattsburgh:—
Colonel, Duncan McMartin; Lieutenant Colonel, Thomas Armstrong; Surgeon, Snow; Adjutant, Stephen Sammone; Quartermaster, Daniel C. Livingston. 
Company A—Captain David Spaulding; First Lieutenant, James Barr; Second Lieutenant, John D. Brownell.
Company B--Captain, Robert R. Meredith; 1st Lieutenant, J. A. De Wandalaer; 2d Lieutenant, Mason H. Stewart.
Company C—Captain, Wm. H. Printian; 1st Lieutenant, Peter E. Houck; 2d Lieutenant, Charles E. Putnam.
Company D—Captain, David H. Cuyler; 1st Lieutenant, John J. Buchanan; 2d Lieutenant, Abram F. Davis.
Company E—Captain, Jacob C. Kleck; First Lieutenant, Harvey C. Ward; Second Lieutenant, Ansel W. Porter.
Company F—Captain, Isaac F. Van Woert; First Lieutenant, F. W. C. Fox; Second Lieutenant, John H. Lassell.
Company G—Captain, Geo. H. McLaughlin; First Lieutenant, Edward Parkinson; Second Lieutenant, Geo. W. Hazard.
Company H—Captain, Alexander Strain; First Lieutenant, Melancthon S Burdick; Second Lieutenant, Emmett M. Fitch.
Company I—Captain, Davis K. Rich; First Lieutenant, John F. McGuire; Second Lieutenant, Charles L. Knapp.
Company K-Captain, F. J. P. Chitt; First Lieutenant, P. H. Fitzpatrick; Second Lieutenant, Calvin H. Pike.

Letter from Lieut. Ward, of the 153d.
May 30, 1863.
To the Editor of the Mohawk Valley Register:
We are still at our old camp ground, at "West End," Alexandria. Our camp is beautifully situated between Forts Lyon and Ellsworth, commanding a fine view of the Potomac and the surrounding country for miles. Our duty has been for the most part guarding the city of Alexandria, whose population, aside from the Govt. employees, is composed chiefly of "Secesh” and contrabands. The best buildings in the city, public and private, (such as churches, hotels and some very fine private dwellings) have been appropriated by Govt. for hospital uses and offices for the different Govt. officials. The streets are dirty, the sidewalks rough and uneven, the average being about one brick to the square yard, and a great many of the buildings presenting a dilapidated and neglected appearance. It is a common sight here to see what was before the war a fine park or grove surrounding a mansion of some rich citizen of secession proclivities, now used as a pen for Govt. cattle, and what were once fine flower beds and nicely graveled walks, all trodden into mire. Fences all down for miles, and the country as far as the eye can reach is now nothing but commons. Contrabands, without owners lie around, loose .... and each night rats of gigantic proportions patrol the streets in platoons to clean up the dirt and garbage, which they seem perfectly willing to do, and which the municipal authorities are perfectly willing to have them do; while sundry small dogs and large cats make nights hideous with their well appointed serenade; while upon the gentle evening zephyrs are borne to the olfactory organs the delicious odors arising from innumerable slaughter houses, cattle pens and pig stys; all these greeting as they do the eyes, ears and nose of the sentinel, as he walks his beat, challenging the occasional passer by—make the city of Alexandria, with all its connections and associations delightful to contemplate. The orders of the Provost Marshal are very strict. It being positively forbidden to sell or give away any spirituous or malt liquors, except for hospital uses, or officers' private stores.—There is a regiment of contrabands (Volunteers) being raised in this city. The other day we very suddenly received orders to have entrenchments thrown up outside the city, and there were guards placed on the street corners so that when any contrabands came along, they were seized and rushed out under guard to dig in the entrenchments.
We have a beautiful camp, the Sibley tents (for enlisted men,) being all stockaded by means of sticks of cord wood being set in the ground, and the tents placed on top of them, while all around the outside are laid green sod, and evergreen trees planted. The officer's or wall tents are beautified in the same way, with the exception of the stockade. I can safely say that our regiment is well drilled and in a fine state of discipline. We are armed with the "Enfield Rifle," and the guns and all the equipments are kept in a high state of neatness and order. We all know and feel grateful to acknowledge that our present state of efficiency is owing to our commanding officer. He was a captain in the 63d N. Y. S. V., (Anderson Zouaves,) and was promoted to the majority of our regiment. He came among us as a stranger and has by his gentlemanly conduct and by invariably tempering justice with kindness won the esteem and respect of the whole regiment, officers and men. Col. McMartin, having resigned, on account of ill health, and Lt. missing) Col. Armstrong having also left us, Major DAVIS has been promoted to the Colonelcy of the regiment. Uniting all the qualities of the soldier and the gentleman, he is a strict disciplinarian, a splendid tactician, sociable and genial as a man, and withal a better or more popular officer cannot be found within the lines of the army. Capt. Printup of Co. C, has been promoted to the Lt. Colonelcy. He is from the town of Glen, Mont. Co.; and Capt. Strain of Co. G, has been promoted to the majority. We are all well satisfied with the appointments, and feel that we are indeed a fortunate regiment. We have at present considerable picket and guard duty to do, and expect soon to serve our country in some more demonstrative manner. The Regiment is in good health and spirits. I enclose a list of the officers of the regiment, showing the changes since its organization, by reason of resignations and promotions.

List of officers of the 153d Reg., N. Y. S. V. showing the changes by reason of Resignations and Promotions:
Major Edwin P. Davis, promoted to Colonel, vice D. McMartin, resigned. 
Adjutant—Stephen Sammons.
Quarter Master.--D. C. Livingston.
Surgeon—H. S. Hendee.
1st Assistant Surgeon.--N. L. Snow.
Co. A, Captain.--David Spaulding.
1st Lieut.--James Barr. no changes.
2d Lieut.--John D. Brownell.
Co. B, Captain--R. R. Meredith, resigned.
1st Lt.-- J. A. DeWandelaer.
Orderly Serg't Richard Loucks, promoted to 2d Lieut., vice M. H. Stewart, resigned.
Co. C, Capt. Wm. H. Printup, promoted to Lt. Col., vice T. Armstrong, resigned.
2d Lieut. C. F. Putnam promoted to 1st Lieut., vice Peter E. Houck, resigned. 
Orderly Serg't J. B. Hill, promoted to 1st Lieut., vice C. F. Putnam promoted. 
Co. D, Captain.--D. H. Cuyler, 
1st Lt.--John J. Buchanan. no changes.
2d Lt.--A. V. Davis.
Co. E, Captain.--Jacob C. Klock,
1st Lt.—Harvey C. Ward, no changes.
2d Lt.--A. W. Porter.
Co. F, Captain Isaac Van Woert, resigned.
1st Lieut. F. W. C. Fox.
2d Lieut. John Laselle.
Co. G, Capt. G. H. McLaughlin.
1st Lieut. Edward Parkinson.
2d Lieut. George W. Hazard, resigned.
Co. H, Capt. Alexander Strain, promoted to Major, vice C. P. Davis promoted.
1st Lieut. M. G. Burdick.
2d Lieut. E. M. Fitch.
Co. I, Captain—D. J. Rich,
1st Lt.—John F. McGuire, no changes.
2d Lt.--C.L. Knapp.
Co. K, Captain—F. J. P. Chitty,
1st Lt—P. H. Fitzpatrick, no changes.
2d L t — C . H. Pike.
Hoping to be able before a great while to write something more interesting, 
I am yours very truly,
H. C. Ward, 153d N. Y. S. V.

Complimentary Resolutions to Colonel McMartin.
ALEXANDRIA, VA., May 1st, 1863.
At a full meeting of the Officers of this Regiment, the following preamble and resolutions were introduced and unanimously approved. 
Whereas, We have watched for many months past with anxious and deep regret the failing health of Col. DUNCAN MCMARTIN, his efforts for its restoration by a visit to a still warmer climate during the month of March last; his firm but unavailing determination to attend to his duties on his return, (not the least improved in health,) and the regret with which he tendered his resignation, when his condition was such as to render his return home imperative.
And Whereas, Col. McMartin has, by his kindness to all, gentlemanly deportment, firmness and consistency ever exhibited, while we have been connected with him, endeared himself to every man in his Regiment; therefore, 
Resolved, That while we admit we deeply regret the necessity that separates Col. McMartin from the Regiment, and that we cannot permit him to go home without carrying with him, as a feeble expression of our feeling toward him, our heartfelt thanks for his many acts of kindness and the uniform interest which he has taken in the welfare of the Regiment, adding our ... appreciation of his conduct as an officer and a gentleman.
Resolved. That while we realize ... nation the Regiment has ... loss, we sincerely trust it may prove his gain and his final restoration to health and usefulness to society for many years.
Resolved. That a copy of these resolutions be forwarded to Col. McMartin, and also to the Press of Fulton and adjoining counties, for publication in the county papers.
Major EDWIN P. DAVIS, President,
Capt. GEO. H. MCLAUGHLIN, Secretary,
W. H. PRINTUP, Captain, Committee
H. S. HENDEE, Surgeon, on
FRED. J . P . CHITTY, Captain Resolutions.
Please insert the above in your paper and oblige.

The 153d Regiment.
The Alexandria Daily News, has the following notice of "our boys."
A few days ago, the weather being pleasant, cool and inviting for a stroll around the outskirts of the city, we started out and bent our course in a southerly direction, and soon found ourselves within the camp of the 153d Regt. N. Y. Vols. This Camp is truly a pattern of neatness, order and military discipline, and in every respect worthy of imitation. This fine regiment was recruited in Northern New York, principally in Montgomery, Clinton, Essex, and Fulton counties, four counties that have furnished more men and subscribed more money (to support wives and children of volunteers) than any other four counties in the Empire State taking into consideration population and wealth, to put down this wicked and gigantic rebellion. The 153d Regiment is composed of men from these patriotic counties, and further we say that a more intelligent, honorable and loyal set of officers, non-comissioned officers, are privates are seldom found in a single regiment.
It was our good fortune to witness the evenig Dress Parade. The boys were "up and dressed with white gloves and shining muskets, and executed every command with a promptness and regularity that would have done honor to troops who have served years in the regular service.
Everything connected with this regiment gives conclusive evidence that Col. Davis and his associate officers knows what constitutes a good soldier and a well regulated camp.
The following is a list of the Regimental and Commissioned Company officers:
Colonel—Edwin P. Davis
Lieut. Colonel--Wm. H. Printup.
Major—Alexander A. Strain.
Surgeon—H. S. Hendee.
First Assistant Surgeon--N. Leslie Snow. 
Second Assistant Surgeon--Jas. Alexander.
Quartermaster--CD. C. Livingston.
Adjutant--Stephen Sammons.
Chaplain--J. Henry Enders.
Hospital Steward--Horatio Gilbert.
Co. A--Capt. D. A. Spaulding; 1st Lieutenant, J. J. Barr; 2d Lieutenant, John E. Bronnell.
Co. B--Capt. John DeWandelaer; Lieutenant, A. V. Davis; 2nd Lieutenant, Richard Loucks.
Co. C—Capt. Charles Putnam; 1st Lieutenant, (vacant.); 2nd Lieutenant, James Neal;
Co. D—Capt. D. H. Cuyler; 1st Lieutenant, J. J. Buchanan; 2nd Lieutenant, (vacant.)
Co E—Capt. J. C. Klock; 1st Lieutenant, Henry Ward; 2d Lieutenant, ___ Porter. 
Co. F--Capt. Frank W. C. Fox; 1st Lieutenant, John Lassells; 2nd Lieutenant, O C. Hall.
Co. G.--Capt. M. S. Burdick 1st Lieutenant, E. Fitch; 2nd Lieutenant, S. W. Phinney, (A. A. D. C. to Gen. Slough.
Co. H--Capt. Geo. H. McLaughlin; 1st Lieutenant, James Parkinson; 2nd Lieutenant, Geo. H. Hadge.
Co. I—Capt. D. J. Rich. (A. D. C. to Brig. Gen. Slough; 1st Lieutenant,
Frank McGuire; 2nd Lieutenant, C. L. Knapp.
Co K--Capt. Fred'k J. P. Chitty (Provost marshal of Alexandria, Va.)
1st Lieutenant, P. H. Fitzpatrick; 2nd Lieutenant, C, H. Pike.

Interesting front the Lower Mississippi.
Correspondence of The Saratogian,
Messrs. Potter & Judson:—Thinking that a few words from the Department of the Gulf might be of interest to you and your numerous readers, I venture to invade your sanctum with the following letter.
The past two weeks has given historical fame to this Department, and the Nineteenth Army Corps. Events of the utmost importance in the present crisis have marked every day.
We felt that the opinion was gaining ground at the North, among those who measure the progress of the Union cause by the scenes of carnage which occur, that the Army of this department was doing no more than garrison duty in the state of Louisiana. True, it has not sent forth the sad story of bloody battles, and the sacrifice of its hecatombs of brave men, to excite the popular mind. Nevertheless its work has been quietly going on. Silent preparations, and the constant labor of months, purposely kept hidden from the public gaze, are now resulting in the greatest triumphs which have crowned our military power, and struck terror to the trembling abettors of treason. Of all the hard fought battles in Virginia, and in the Northwest, where the veteran troops have met in fiercest conflict, few have resulted in a more substantial victory than that which has just occurred in this Department.
Let your readers look for a moment at the plan by which it was brought about, and its full bearing upon the present state of affairs in the Southwest.
About a month since the first act in the grand drama was successfully enacted. A large force was concentrated at Baton Rouge. The army trains, ammunition, and immense quantities of Quartermaster's stores, were transposed to that city. Maj. Gen. Banks went up and assumed command. The whole force was marched up almost within sight of the batteries of Port Hudson. The country looked anxiously to see that stronghold fall. But one night the brave Admiral of the river fleet, ran two of his gunboats in safety past the frowning batteries planted there. What was the result? Pushing on, he established communication with Porter's fleet above Vicksburg. He blockaded the Red river, which has been the great avenue of rebel supplies. The presence of his gunboats kept the Queen of the West, and all the rest of the rebel navy from the waters between Vicksburg and Port Hudson, and he has also stationed the Richmond, so he can signalize to the fleet below the latter point. Thus, any communication can now be sent up from Baton Rouge to Grant or Porter, above Vicksburg, in spite of the two "Gibraltars" which command the river.
The natural advantages of the two positions and their extensive fortifications amount to very little, while their immense garrisons are menaced by as strong a power as can be brought to reduce them—namely starvation. Thus was the object successfully accomhlished in the late movement towards Port Hudson. By stationing a fleet to blockade the mouth of the Red river, another highway for the transportation of valuable supplies, was cut off. Seven miles west of New Iberia, near Vermillion Bay, is a large salt mine. Immense quantities of the precious article had been constantly on the way to the Rebel army by means of bayous leading into the Red river. Foundries were in operation which sent out great quantities of ordnance stores. A saw mill was manufacturing lumber for Rebel use. Large quantities of sugar, molasses, sawn lumber, beef, cattle, horses, mules, cotton, corn, and bricks, were in the hands of the enemy. They had fortifications armed and garrisoned. Lastly, they had a navy which included the Queen of the West, cruising around the bayous south of Red river. 
The past week has seen all these fall into our hands, the enemy in rapid flight before our advancing hosts, and the rich surrounding country quietly occupied. The money value of captured property is immense; the important territory occupied by us is a terrible blow to the enemy. I would not boast too loudly of this great success, but how many victories in this war have produced such substantial results? How many victories have hurt the enemy where they will feel it so severely as they do this? Few, if any. This, and the passage of gunboats by Port Hudson, both parts of the same plan, viz: that of cutting off enemy's trans-Mississippi supplies, and of opening communications between Gen. Banks and Gen. Grant, Admirals Farragut and Porter, appear to me to constitute an achievement of immense importance.
Our forces in the Department of the Gulf are as well organized and in good discipline and spirit as any command in the country.—The success attending our arms is due to the great labor, and the constant preparations, of the last three months. With less to begin upon than any other corps in the service, and obliged to have everything transported from a great distance; the 19th Army Corps will bare comparison with the best of them. It conquered at Bethel Place, it conquered at Irish Bend, and by the keen edge of the sword it will conquer every foe that opposes its march to the restoration of the Union. All honor to the brave men in it who have won for it an enviable place in the glorious army for freedom. Its victories have fairly commenced, and I have faith they will not cease until the last Rebel in the Department of the Gulf shall lay down his arms and pledge allegiance to our cause.
Since the arrival of our regiment, the 176th N. Y., we have lost but six privates, and one officer; we have but few in hospital; and though the weather is intensely warm, still the men are in good spirits. We are stationed as guard over the railroad from New Orleans and Berwicks Bay, since the advance of Gen. Banks to Irish Bend, and beyond, train after train has passed to the city loaded with prisoners. This morning over one hundred bales of cotton, the fruits of our victory at Franklin, passed here en route for Boston.
I had the pleasure of being with the Staff of Gen. Weitzel, in the series of battles fought in and about the Teche county. Hoping I have not been wearisome to you and your readers, 
I am, gentlemen, Yours, &c,
Lieut. J. P. ROBENS.

The 153d.
Chaplain Enders, of the 153. Reg. N. Y. Vols., writes as follows to the M. V. Democrat:
153d Regiment, N. Y. S. V., GRAND
ECORE, La., April 12th, 1864.
To relieve the anxiety of the many friends of the 153d Regiment, N. Y. S.
V., I hereby forward a list, as accurate as can at present be ascertained of our killed, wounded, and missing, at the battle of Pleasant Hill, La., April 9th 1864.
KILLED.—Private Jacob E. Van Allen, Co. B, shot through head.
WOUNDED.—Andrew J. Van Atter, Co. A, slight flesh wound of elbow; A. O. Van Nestrand, A, flesh wound thigh; Serg't. Robert Hyman, A, very slight wound on shoulder; Henry Young, B, ball entered left cheek bone and passed out behind left ear, when last seen in dying condition; Serg't. Charles. S. Woodworth, B, serious left side of face; Jerome B. Austin, B, slight scaly wound left side of head; Henry Litt, B, slight flesh wound in thigh; Brower Van Wie, B, wound and fracture of left thigh; Serg't. Wm. J. Munsell, C, very slight wound on right shoulder; David Hugennin, C, slight wound left side of cheek; James W. Peck, C, very slight wound on left arm; Nicholas Shoup, D, flesh wound left thigh; Wm. Nichloy, D, index finger right hand; George Fisher, E, right hand; Wm. H. North, E, flesh wound calf of right l e g ; John C. Gravenstine, E, wound and fracture of right thigh; Peter Kirsh, E, in right ankle; James Lynch, E, flesh wound calf of left leg; George Morey, E, flesh wound in right arm; Frederick Lutter, F, wound and fracture of right leg above ankle; Corporal Edwin West, H, wound and fracture of second finger left hand; Serg't. Albert A. Weatherwax, H, slight scalp wound left side; Ransom Conklin, H, flesh wound of left thigh; John Ewing, H, wound and fracture of bone of left leg; John Jeru, I, slight wound above right eye; Corporal John Brown, I, slight wound above right eye. 
Missing.--Corporal Herman Hein, B; John Myers, D; Wm. Van Deusen, D; Corporal J. Thompson, G.
The Regiment was complimented in the highest terms for its coolness, and valor during the battle by General Dwight our Brigadier Commander.

19th Army Corps.
Capt. C. F. Putnam, of the 153d Reg., has favored us with the following congratulatory Order, addressed to the 19th Corps, to which the 153d Reg. is attached, by their commanding General, on their return from the Red River country:
Headquarters, 19TH ARMY CORPS,
SIMSPORT, LA., May 18, 1864.
General Orders No. 48.
Soldiers of the 1st and 2nd Divisions 19th army corps, it is my duty to express to you my high appreciation of your uniform good conduct, throughout the late eventful campaign. This duty is rendered move imperative, by the false reports of your operations, which have met you at this point. On the 8th of April, at the first notice that our troops in front were engaged, the 1st Division (the only troops of the 19th Corps, there present) marched in double quick time, 7 miles to the front, formed in line of battle under fire of the enemy, checked him, and drove him back, under circumstances the most trying that could befall troops. The whole advance composed of 8 or 10,000 troops were thrown back upon you, in utter disorder and confusion, pell mell with the enemy.—You formed line of battle under his fire, and amidst this frightful disorder, with the regularity of forming for parade, you drove the enemy from before you, and held the ground till ordered to fall back. The next day, at Pleasant Hill, you of the 1st Division bore this brunt of the enemy's furious attack, and only one Brigade, on the left, gave way because its left was unsupported; but this soon rallied and joined in the final charge, which drove the enemy from the field.
On the 23d, at Cane River, you, supported by the l3th Army Corps, found the enemy strongly posted to dispute the crossing of the river. Led by the 3d Brigade of the 1st Division, you drove him at the point of the bayonet from the hills he occupied. 
At Alexandria, La., you contributed your labor by day and night, for 17 days, under the engineering skill of Lieut. Col. Baily, to the great work which relieved the fleet from its perilous situation above the Falls and restored it to the country.
At Monsard, on the 16th of May, you met the enemy on an open plain, and, supported on the right by the 16th corps drove him from the field.
This in brief is a summary of your services for the last two months, and I know when it becomes known to the country, the judgment will be that you at least, have done your duty faithfully.
Brig. General Commanding.
— Col. Davis, under a later date, addressed a congratulatory Order to the 153d Regiment, thanking them for their gallant conduct and efficient service during the Campaign.

The Battle of Pleasant Hill, La.
We have been permitted to quote the following interesting account of the third day's battle in Western Louisiana, from a letter written to Mr. Alonzo H. Hall, of Wilton, by his son Otis T. Hall, a member of the 153d N. Y. Vols: 
About 3 1/2 P. M. we were ordered to take our position in the field. Our brigade was placed in the front with our regiment nearly in the centre, our two right companies in the road. As we marched up to this position our prospects were not very flattering. Riderless horses were rushing through the woods, and many wounded were crawling or being carried to the rear, bleeding and groaning as they passed. Our ambulances were standing near waiting to convey some of us to the hospital or to our graves. The artillery was thundering beyond expression, and the continual clatter of musketry added terror to the scene.
We had not been in line two minutes before we received a volley of musketry and several shells burst very near us. A few of our men broke the line at first but they immediately returned and our firing commenced. This was the first time we had ever been under fire.—We held our ground, under a continual and heavy fire of musketry and artillery, until 7 1/2 P. M.
The enemy first tried to flank our army on the right, then on the left, and failing in both these attempts they resolved to force a charge through our front. They then formed divisions about eight or ten men deep and made a charge on our regiment. We lay down and waited until they came within a few rods of us, and poured such a volley into them that the living retreated in confusion from their piles of wounded and dying. This was repeated all along the front five or six times. Twice they came upon us, charging with a yell, and both times we mowed them like grass, and held our ground, cheering for the stars and stripes.—This increased their fury, and they came yelling on our center for the last time. We took a cross fire on them from our right and left, and covered the ground with their bodies. This was their last fire.
By this time it was very dark and our whole army, on the right, left and center, gave roaring cheers for our flag. It was the most patriotic expression I ever heard. We listened for an expression from our enemies, but they were dumb. Hostilities ceased. We lay down to sleep on the field, and the groans of the wounded was a great contrast to the confusion of battle. A few looked for their friends, but the most of the men were so exhausted that they slept.
Victory was ours. We had taken from 1500 to 2000 prisoners, and about all our artillery lost yesterday, and knew the loss of the enemy in killed and wounded to be great, while our loss was small. I think this is easily accounted for. Our men were, for the most part, posted behind knolls and breastworks and lay down during the most of the battle, and the discharge of the enemy passed over us. 
The whole force of the enemy engaged, according to knowledge obtained in various ways, with concurring report of the prisoners, was about 20,000, and were commanded by Gens. Price, Green, Taylor, and some say that McGruder was with them. They fought well. Next came the proposition what shall we do now that we have gained the day? Our provisions are nearly exhausted. We have but half a day's ration for the men, and the horses and mules have eaten nothing since morning, and our supplies gone. We had to move back to this place, (within four miles of Natchitoches,) and meet our gun boats and transports for supplies. We left the field at about two o'clock, Sunday morning, and last night we arrived here, (distance 35 miles.) Our gun boats are here and some of our supplies. When and where we shall move I do not know. I think we will have another engagement soon. Time will tell the result.
A few incidents of the battle and I close.—I was amused to see two Rebels come over to our lines, under a heavy fire. As soon as they came in sight in the pines about fifty guns were aimed at them. They seeing this, one held up his gun and the other his sword. They threw their weapons at our feet and came behind the colors of our regiment. One was a private the other a first lieutenant.
The Rebels were determined to take one of our batteries. They formed a column and advanced by hundreds, and the battery was silent, until they were almost on it. It then poured in a charge of grape and canister, and mowed a space of about ten feet wide, the length of their line. They closed and advanced, when a regiment of infantry arose out of the bushes and fired. But few of them retreated. The most were dead.
Our regiment lost one killed and twenty-eight wounded. One man was shot dead on my right and a shell took off the leg of one on my left. 
O. T. H.

Army Correspondence.
153d Regiment, N. Y. S. V.
GRAND ECORE, La., April 12, 1864.
To relieve this anxiety of the many friends of the 153d Regiment, I herewith forward a list as accurate as can at present be ascertained, of our killed, wounded and missing, at the Battle of Pleasant Hill, La., April 9, 1864.
Company B —Jacob E Van Alter, shot through the head.
Company A—Andrew J Van Alter, slight flesh wound of elbow; A O Van Nostrand, flesh wound of thigh; Robert Hyman, very slight wound on shoulder.
Company B—Henry Young, ball entered left cheek bone and passed out behind left ear. Last seen in dying condition; Sergt. Chas. S Woodworth, serious, left side of face; Jerome B Austin, slight scalp wound left side of head; Henry Leitt, slight flesh wound in thigh; Brower Van Wie, wound fracture of left thigh.
Company C—Sergt. Wm. J Munsell, slight wound on right shoulder; David Hugeninn, slight wound left side of cheek; James W Peek, slight wound on left arm. 
Company D—Nicholas Shoup, flesh wound on left thigh; Wm. Nichloy, right hand.
Company E—Geo. Fisher, right hand; Wm. H North, flesh round calf of right leg; John C Grovesteen, wound and fracture of right thigh; Peter Kirsh, wounded in right ankle; James Lynch, flesh wound, calf of left leg; George Morey, flesh wound, right arm.
Company F—Frederic Lutter, wound and fracture of right leg above ankle. 
Company H—Corporal Edwin West, wound and fracture of second finger left hand; Sergt. Albert A Weatherwax, light scalp wound left side; Ransom Conklin, flesh wound of left thigh.
Company J—John Ewing, wound and fracture of bone of 1eft leg; John Jeru, slight wound above right eye; Corporal John Brown, slight wound about right eye.
Company B—Corporal Herman Heure.
Company D—John Myers; William Van Deusen.
Company G—Corporal J. Thompson.
The regiment was complimented in the highest terms for its coolness and valor during the battle by Gen'l Dwight our brigade Commander.
Most respectfully yours, 
J. Henry Enders, Chaplain,
153d Regt., N. Y. S. V.

The 153d Regiment.
We are permitted to publish the following extracts from a private letter from Capt. C. F. Putman, of the 153d Regiment, to his father, Peter W. Putman, Esq. It is dated at Morganza, La., May 22d:
" I wrote from Natchitoches, giving an account of our march up to that date, and I will now endeavor to give you a short description of the remainder of our campaign. We left Natchitoches on Wednesday, April 6th, and marched that day to Rebellion Bayou, about 18 miles from there. April 7th we marched 17 miles, to Pleasant Hill, and here the first skirmish of any account took place, which was between the Cavalry and the Rebels; and here let me say that the country from Natchitoches to Mansfield, and in fact a good share of Western part of Louisiana is one vast wilderness, or Pine Woods as they call it. It is composed of the tall Southern Pines, principally, which grows to a magnificent height. Occasionally we found a small clearing along the road of a few acres, but they were rare, and Pleasant Hill was the largest clearing we found, but the hill part didn't amount to much—it being nearly level. Well, to proceed—our cavalry routed the Rebs. here without giving them any chance to finish their dinners, which they were eating, and after a short brush drove them about ten miles to a small Bayou and Mill. In the morning the skirmishing again commenced, and our Infantry left Pleasant Hill in the following order: 13th Corps (or rather part of it, there being only a portion of the Corps, some 8,000 or 10,000 men, with us) in the advance, followed by our Division, under Gen. Emery, consisting of the 1st, 2d, and 3d Brigades. The cavalry drove the enemy about 7 miles from the Mill and 17 miles from Pleasant Hill, when they were brought up very suddenly by running against Gen. Dick Taylor's whole Rebel force, and in a few moments the 13th Corps was also engaging the enemy, but were too strongly out-numbered by the Rebs to hold their ground; and their General (Ransom) having been wounded, they with the cavalry, were thrown into a perfect rout which was as bad in proportion, as the first Bull Run fight. But a slight change soon took place, for the 19th Corps was not far away, having double-quicked it for about 5 miles, and as the Rebs came yelling with their infernal yells and firing into the retreating columns of 13th, our 1st Division filed quickly into line, opened ranks to let the fugitives through, and then closing quickly up poured into Rebel hordes such withering volleys that they shrank back utterly unable to endure the storm of leaden hail which was rained upon them, and in vain they rallied and endeavored to charge. The result was always same, and they finally retreated. It being now dark both parties bivouaced on the field. It was a magnificent affair part of the 1st Division, and had only one objection: The 153d was not in it, for unfortunately we were detailed that day to guard the wagon train, and were never within 5 miles of fight, but I saw enough of the affair that night when they commenced retreating. We on duty all night; and in the morning brought up rear to Pleasant Hill, where the enemy followed us kept up a skirmishing fire until about 5 o'clock in the afternoon, when they made a general attack on our lines.— Our Brigade had been lying on the reserve all day, with the 2d and 3d Brigades at the front, which were forced to fall back, but not through cowardice by any means. And now came our put in, we were soon in position with Gen. Smith's forces (consisting of one Division of 16th and one of the 17th Corps, about 8,000 men) our left, our line of battle being in the shape of a horse-shoe, the enemy nearly surrounding us and our Regiment in centre of the line, exposed fire from front and both flanks. 
Shortly after we had formed a Brigade the 16th Corps which had been in the front of us came rushing through our lines, hooting and yelling that the enemy were coming down upon us with a column six deep, and numerous other cries which were enough to break an old and tried Regiment, but our boys stood to their work manfully, and soon from our left commenced a volley of musketry and artillery which ran round the whole line in one tremendous peal, like of which was never surpassed. One thousand Rebels are said to have fallen by that discharge, and I don't doubt the story. We under fire over three hours and a half, and finally the Rebs, repulsed at every charge, were forced to retire with a loss some 500 prisoners, cannon, &c. They retreated some 16 miles that night, we slept on battle field where I first experienced a practical knowledge of its horrors, but still the groans of the wounded and dying could not prevent us sleeping sound- ly. I had but one man wounded and he slightly—David Huganin. He was struck by buck shot on the point of his jaw, left cheek, but he soon recovered and marched with us next morning. On the morning after the fight we were awakened early, soon were march, retreating towards Grand Ecore, which is about 4 miles from Natchitoches, on the Red River, which we reached on the 11th. We were obliged retreat to supply ourselves with rations, cavalry having lost all their train— about 100 wagons. And here let me say that the battle of Sabine Cross Roads was lost for two reasons. One of which was, their running the wagon train so near to the fight that artillery of 13th Corps was nearly all captured; and 2d—sending the advance too soon into the fight, with reserve far off to co-operate in time. It showed what has been too often shown in some our armies—a great lack Generalship. On our arrival at Grand Ecore, that the gun-boats and transports couldn't get up the river to Shreve- port, and that the 16th and 17th Corps had received orders to report to Tennessee, and so after laying still till the 22d April, we started for Alexandria, and marched from 2 o'clock in morning until 11 o'clock at night, over 40 miles. 
The next morning, at the crossing Cane River, we had another turn with
the Rebs. The 13th and 19th were in the advance. Then came our wagon
train, nearly 12 miles long, and then the 16th and 17th Corps, bringing up the rear. At the crossing the Rebs had planted a battery on the opposite side. Our Brigade lay supporting our batteries, whilst the 3d Brigade and the 13th Corps crossed the River above, and, charging the enemy's works carried them at the point of the bayonets. The force in the rear also had a small battle with the enemy about the time we were having the fun in front. We could hear the cannonading from both parties at the same time.
From here to Alexandria we were unmolested, and arrived there April 25th. Upon our arrival at Alexandria we found that the gun-boats couldn't get over a rift near the city, but Yankee ingenuity soon suggested a dam, which was completed May 12th. On the morning of the 13th we left Alexandria, and took up our line of march along the Red River. The first day we marched only about ten miles and encamped for the night. Next day we marched along the river with the gun-boats along side of us, which were fired into by the Rebel sharp-shooters on the opposite side, quite often during the day. We bivouacked at night by the river, and the next morning bid farewell to the gun-boats, &c., and took up our line of march across the country. About the middle of the afternoon, after traveling through a thickly wooded country all the way, we struck one of the finest plains I ever saw, an opening in the midst of a wilderness. Imagine to yourself a level
plain of about 10 miles long, and at the lower end some two or three miles wide, with a small portion of it a little rolling, just enough to display an army to advantage, and you will have some idea of what I cannot describe in one letter. 
About two thirds of the way across this plain there stands a small village called Marksville. Here the Rebs made a stand, our cavalry, after driving them through the village, were driven back by their artillery. Soon the order came to our Division for 3d Brigade to charge. About this time a staff officer came up and announced that Grant had whipped Lee badly, and then from Yankee throats went up such hearty cheers as fairly made the woods and plains echo again. The Rebs stood no show after the charge; and after driving them from the village, and darkness coming on we bivouaced for the night. The next morning skirmishing commenced about day-light, and soon we were driving them. After leaving the village a short distance, we came upon the finest portion of the plain, and when our army was formed in line of battle it was the finest military spectacle I ever have seen, or ever expect to see again. Our Brigade was on the extreme left, and we had a fine view. Cannonading commenced almost immediately, the Rebs occupying the woods at the lower end of the plain, and the artillery duel was one of the finest imaginable. This kept up for over three hours; then our Brigade was advanced on the left. We marched in line of battle for three or four miles and found the Rebs drawn up to receive us; but a few shots from the two cannon we had with us soon invited them to leave, and they accepted invitation. We marched only about 10 miles this day, and the next day the same, when we reached the Atchafalaya river, near Simsport. Here we found the gun-boats and transports. May 18, our cavalry part of the 16th Corps had an engagement with Rebs, and used them up pretty badly, taking 400 or 500 prisoners, artillery, &c.; here we received notice that Gen. Banks was relieved, and Gen. Canby placed in command. Gen. Franklin was wounded at Pleasant Hill, left at Alexandria. 
The 16th 17th Corps left us the 20th, and we, on the 20th, 21st and 22d marched to this place, how long we shall stay here is more than any of us know. It is a splendid position on Mississippi, which is considerably wider here than at New Orleans. The weather has been very fine for marching till the last three or four days, and now it is almost unendurable Our Division has marched within the past two months over 700 miles and have stood it finely. 
With regard to the policy of the Expedition much has been said both here and I suppose in the North; and Banks been cursed by some as a coward, and by others as a Cotton Speculator, &c, the abusive catalogue. But my idea is that in the first place the Expedition never should have been undertaken, for but little good could possibly come from it, the Rebels (and in this State they are all Rebels) burning every thing in the shape of Cotton which we could have any chance to carry off; and in the next place the Red River is too uncertain to place any dependance on at any time of the year, it raising 30 or 40 feet within a day or two or falling as quickly, so that we have lost three or four gun-boats from the lowness of the river, besides some transports. And then again we may pass through this country and capture every village and city in it, and the moment we leave it is again filled with Rebs. But such is war.
Of the newspaper reports you see, you can depend upon this, that the 19th Corps has done more fighting and lost more men than the16th and 17th together, but Gen. Smith commanding them has been promoted to a Maj. Generalship, and they have been puffed to the skies in the newspapers simply because they were well supplied with Reporters. The 19th Corps don't carry any Reporters with them. But this we can say, and that proudly: The 1st Division hasn't been whipped yet in this campaign, and the commanding General says that, to our 1st Brigade belongs the credit and honor of saving the army at Sabine Cross Roads and Pleasant Hill; and after all the chafing and blowing of the Western troops, I would, and I am well satisfied that most of our Generals would trust themselves with New York boys in preference to any others. I never felt prouder of old New York State than I have in this campaign.—God grant that we may always maintain our present good name." (Fulton Reg., June 21, 1864)

The 153d Regiment has removed from Alexandria, to comfortable quarters in Washington. This is called a "crack" regiment; and Capt. Chitty, has been complimented as being a true and faithful officer.

The 153d Reg.--The following officers from the 153d Regiment have been detailed to drill and organize the drafted men from this State at the Elmira rendezvous:-- 
Captains Klock, McLonchlin, and Rich. Sergeants Geo. Hagadorn, Cornelius T. Burns, Wm. H. Harris, Chas. W. Woodworth, J. Lainheart, J. Denore.
The Regiment is at present during police duty in the city of Washington.--Republican.

The 153d Regiment.
Among the wounded left on the battle-field in Western Louisiana, the following have been reported by the Rebels as belonging to the 153d Regiment: 
Nicholas Sharp, Co. D, in Texas.
Sergeant C. S. Woodworth, Co. B, eyeless, paroled.
Fred. Lutter, Co. F, died May 29.
B. Van Wil, Co. B, died May 29.
J. Myers, Co. D, died of diarrhoea,
April 25th.—Rep.

The 153d is now doing police duty at Washington.

Promoted to Captain.
We are pleased to learn that our friend Charles F. Putman, who left here as a Second Lieutenant of Capt. Printup's company, 153d Regiment, and who was subsequently promoted to a First Lieutenant, has received his commission as Captain—Capt. Printup having been promoted to the Lieut. Colonelcy of the Regiment. This promotion is well deserved, and it is gratifying to know that he is well liked by his command.

Wm. Nichloy, of Johnston, a member of Co. D, 153d Regt., who was wounded at the battle of Pleasant Hill, arrived home on Tuesday. He has an ugly wounded but one not incapacitating him from duty after his recovery.

PROMOTED TO CAPTAIN.—We are pleased to learn that our friend Charles F. Putman, who left here as a Second Lieutenant of Capt. Printup's company, 153d Regiment, and who was subsequently promoted to First Lieutenant, has received his commission as captain—Capt. Printup having been promoted to the Lieut. Colonelcy of the Regiment. This promotion is well deserved, and it is gratifying to know that he is well liked by his command.--Republican.

PROMOTIONS.—The following promotions have been made in the 153d Regiment N. Y. Volunteers: Major Edwin P. Davis, to be Colonel, vice Col. McMartin, resigned. Capt. Wm. H. Printup, to be Lieut. Colonel. Capt. Alex. Strain, to be Major, vice Edwin P. Davis, promoted.
Peter Noonan, a deserter from the 153d Regiment, was arrested at his residence in the town of Johnstown, on Saturday evening, 8th inst., by Sheriff Miller. He was remanded to jail, awaiting transportation to his regiment.

153d Regiment.
N. L. Snow, son of Dr. Snow of Root has recently been appointed Surgeon of this Regiment. He has been connected with it since its first formation, and recommended for promotion by all its officers. This honor is as gratifying to the many friends of Dr. S. as it is well deserved.—[Democrat.
WOUNDED.—We are sorry to learn that Capt. Jacob C. Klock, Co. E, 153d N. Y. Vols., was wounded at Winchester, Va., on the 19th inst., by a minnie ball passing through his right shoulder. A letter to his mother, written by proxy, gives no particulars, beyond the statement that the surgeon thinks the bone is not badly fractured. It was only a day or two since Gov. Seymour had issued to Capt. Klock a Major's Commission, in accordance with the wishes of the regiment—a promotion which has been earned by gallantry in service.

The 153d Regiment.
Among the wounded left on the battle-fields in Western Louisiana, the following have been reported by the Rebels as belonging to the 153d Regiment: 
Nicholas Sharp, Co. D, in Texas.
Sergeant C. S. Woodworth, Co. B, eyeless, paroled.
Fred. Lutter, Co. F, died May 29.
B. Van Wil, Co. B, died May 29.
J. Myers, Co. D, died of diarrhoea, 
April 25.--Rep.

The Washington correspondent of the N. Y. Commercial, a Republican writes: 
'The government has decided not to retain any officer in the army whose views on the war policy are not in consonance with its own. It is to be regretted that cases still continue to be reported for dismissal for the use of what is termed disloyal or treasonable language. 
This week Surgeon J. R. Brown, (no regiment named) has been dismissed with the loss of all pay and allowances, for disloyalty. 1st Lieut. Jas. S. Barr, 153d New York volunteers is also dismissed for failing to make a satisfactory defence before the commission for treasonable language.

ARRIVAL OF A REGIMENT.—The 153rd regiment numbering about four hundred and fifty men, arrived here early yesterday morning where they are to be mustered out. The regiment was received by the Citizens Committee and escorted to the Stanwix Hall and Mansion House where breakfast was prepared for them. 
The command, by the gentlemanly conduct of its officers and men, won the respect and esteem of the citizens of Savannah, where their Colonel, now Brevet Brigadier-General Edwin P. Davis, remains as commandant of the post. The One Hundred and Fifty-third was mustered into the service on the 11th of October, 1862, at Fonda, in this State. It was stationed at Alexandria, Va., as Provost Guard until July, 1864, occupied Washington, doing duty as prisoners' guard. It was subsequently transferred to the Gulf Department, and participated in the campaign of Gen. N. P. Banks up the Red River, and was engaged in the battles of Sabine Cross Roads, Pleasant Hill, Cane River Crossing and Mantura, losing heavily in each, and being commended by the commanding General for distinguished bravery.
In July, '64, the regiment came back to Washington to defend it from an expected attack by Early. Becoming part and parcel of Gen. Phil. Sheridan's army, First Brigade, First Division, Nineteenth Army Corps, it took part in the battles of Manchester, Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek and many skirmishes. After Lee's surrender it assisted in the grand review of the armies of Meade and Sherman, in June last, after which it moved to Savannah. It has done its share in history and in putting down the rebellion, and its officers and privates now return to their homes and families to enjoy the reward of their gallant services. Col. G. H. McLaughlin is in present command of the regiment. General Davis, now in command at Savannah, went out as Major of the One hundred and Fifty-third, and was brevetted for meritorious conduct.
(Albany Express, Oct. 13, 1865)

A DISHONEST SOLDIER.—Early yesterday afternoon, Paymaster Harris G. Rogers, whose office is in Masonic Hall, commenced paying off some of the soldiers who had received their discharge and were anxious to reach their homes in the West. The second name on the pay-roll was that of Clark. The amount due him was $106, which was paid him. While the papers were being endorsed, the third name was called, when Clark again proceeded to the desk and received the money, amounting to $126. The mistake was discovered when the soldier entitled to the money presented himself it the desk. Mr. Rogers then notified officer McBride of the affair, who found Clark and arrested him. Clark was taken before Justice Parsons, and after an examination, was committed. He belongs to the 153d N. Y. S. V.
A man by the name of William Perry, who was with Clark, is supposed to have the money. He is said to live in Oppenheim, with Mr. David Weaver. Clark will give no information concerning him.
(Albany Ev. Journal, June 7, 1865)