Troop A New York Volunteer Cavalry Spanish-American War


The following is taken fromNew York in the Spanish-American War 1898: Part of the Report of the Adjutant General of the State for 1900. Vols. 1-3. Albany: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1900.

Troop "A" was organized April 3, 1889, and performed duty at Buffalo during the switchmen's strike in August, 1892, and at Brooklyn during the motormen's strike in January, 1895. It was divided into two troops, to be known as troops 1 and 2, and these organized into a squadron designated "A," February 9, 1895. November 27, 1890, squadron "A" was divided into three troops, to re known as troops 1, 2 and 3.

Squadron "A," having volunteered its services, its commanding officer was authorized in general orders, No. 8, general headquarters, state of New York, dated adjutant-general's office, Albany, April 27, 1898, to select from the three troops of the squadron sufficient officers and enlisted men to form one troop of cavalry to enter the service of the United States.

This order was promptly executed by the selection of the following officers: Captain Howard G. Badgley, captain, troop 2; First Lieutenant Frederic R. Coudert, Jr., first lieutenant, troop 2; Second Lieutenant Joseph S. Frelinghuysen, second lieutenant, troop 3, and eighty-one enlisted men, equally drawn from troops 1, 2 and 3 of the squadron.

In accordance with special orders, No. 72, dated A. G. O., Albany, May 1, 1898, this troop reported to Major Avery D. Andrews, at the squadron armory on May 2d, and at 10 a. m., left there under command of Captain Badgley and marched via Fifth avenue, Thirty-fourth street and Thirty-fourth street, ferry, Long-Island City, and Jamaica turnpike to Camp Black, Hempstead Plains, where it arrived at 5 p. m., and went into camp; distance, 18 miles.

One man having been rejected by the medical examiners; one having left on account of physical disability incurred while in camp, and one having received a commission as captain and quartermaster in the United States volunteers, their places were filled in from the squadron, and on May 20, 1898, the troop was mustered into the United States service as "troop 'A,' New York volunteer cavalry."

May 22d, at 9 a. m., troop "A," accompanied by troop "C," left Camp Black, under command of Captain Badgley, en-route for Camp Alger, Va.; marched to Jersey City, N. J., twenty-four miles, arriving at 9 p. m., camping at the Arlington ball grounds.

May 23d, the troops left Jersey City by rail at 8.30 a. m., and arrived at Dunn Loring, Va., at G p. m.; marched to Camp Alger a distance of three miles, and bivouacked for the night, makin camp the next day.

May 24th, was put in squadron formation with troop " C,'' New York volunteer cavalry, and attached to headquarters of second army corps. Major-General Graham, commanding.

June 1st, Captain Badgley having been ordered to Fort Myer hospital on account of sickness. First Lieutenant: Coudert was in command and continued so until return of the troop from Porto Rico, September 10, 1898.

June 6th, Second Lieutenant Frelinghuysen was ordered to New York city to obtain recruits to fill the troop to the maximum required by reason of the second call of the President and returned June 13th with twenty-two men.

June 17th to 19th, a detachment of the troop accompanied troop "C," New York volunteer cavalry, on a practice march to Holden's Ford, Bull Run, Va.; the Henry House, Bull Run battlefield, and return to Camp Alger.

June 20th, the troop, accompanied by a detachment of troop " C," New York volunteer cavalry, went on a practice march, encamped at Chain Bridge at 1 p. m., ten miles; June 21st, left camp at 8 a. m., and made camp at Great Falls at 11.30 a. m., eight miles: June 22d, marched at 8 a. m., and arrived at Camp Alger at 3 p. m., distance eighteen miles. The principal features of this march were, attack on wagon train of first brigade, first division, near Falls Church, Va., and swimming of horses in Chesapeake and Ohio canal at Great Falls.

July 11th, the troop, together with troop "C," New York volunteer cavalry, started on practice march at 8 a. m., and returned July 16th, covering about ninety miles and passing through Goose Creek, Leesburg, Big Spring, Oatville, Aldie, Beaver Dam, and Fairfax Court House, Va. During this march the same formations were kept and all precautions taken as though the troops were passing through an enemy's country, and an accurate map of the route was made by four members of the two troops.

In compliance with orders received from A. G. O., U. S. army, on July 23d, the troop left Camp Alger by rail at 9 a. m., for Newport News, Va., arriving and going into camp at 5 p. m., July 24th.

July 28th, the troops embarked on transport " Massachusetts " at Newport. News, Va., with ninety-six men and two officers, and one hundred horses.

July 29th, sailed on transport bound for Porto Rico.

August 2d, arrived off Ponce, P. R., about 3 p. m.; August 3d, disembarked from transport and went, aboard U. S. S. " Prairie;" August 4th, landed at Port Ponce at 8 a. m.; August 6th, moved to Ponce and made camp; squadron formation with troop "C," was discontinued and troop "A," on arrival at Ponce attached to the headquarters of Major-General Nelson A. Miles, commanding United Slates army.

August 10th, Second Lieutenant Frelinghuysen, with detail of sixteen men, started as escort to Captain Evans, nineteenth United States infantry, and United States funds to Utuado, distance about forty miles; August 14th, were joined by Sergeant Cromwell and four men and rapid fire gun with orders to escort, in company with detachment from second United Stales cavalry, Lieutenant Preston, United Stales cavalry, with flag of truce and notice of signing of protocol through Ciales, Lares, Las Marias. Mayuaguez, to Sagua La Grande; returned to Ponce, August 25th, a total distance of about 250 miles. This detachment, while never being actually under fire, were, several times threatened by the Spanish and acted with great coolness and bravery.

August 13th, a detachment of ten men under Sergeant Emmet proceeded to Coamo. to preserve order; returned to Ponce, August 20th.

August 18th, First Lieutenant Coudert and. forty-three men left Ponce as escort to Major-General Miles to Coamo, 43 miles; returned to Ponce, August 20th.

August 23d, the troop was called out at midnight to proceed to Santa Isabel, about 20 miles, to quell riot; arrived at 2.45 a. m., found rioting stopped, gave warning notice to inhabitants and returned to Ponce, August 24th, at 2 p. m.

August 23d, a detachment of fourteen men, under sergeant Phelps, started as escort to Lieutenant Langhorne, United States infantry, and United States funds to Utuado; returned, August 25th.

August 25th, detachment of twelve men, under sergeant Cam-mann, proceeded to Cato, to preserve order; returned, August 26th; about 20 miles.

September 2d, having received orders to proceed to New York city for muster-out of the United States service, the troop embarked on board the transport " Mississippi," 85 men and 2 officers and 87 horses.

September 3d, the troop sailed on transport bound for New York at 8 a. m.

September 10th, arrived at New York harbor at 9.30 a. m., and landed at Jersey City at 5 p. m.; proceeded via Cortlandt street ferry to Greenwich street, the Battery, Broadway and Fifth avenue to armory of squadron "A," N. G. N. Y., arriving there at 7.30 p. m., when the entire troop was dismissed on oral furlough to November 10th. by orders from A. G. O., U. S. army.

November 11th, the troop assembled at armory of squadron "A," at 9 a. m., to sign muster-out rolls and was again dismissed on oral furlough to November 28th, to enable pay accounts and discharges to be made out.

November 28th, the troop assembled at 9 a. m., for pay and final muster-out, and at 3 p. m., the entire troop had been discharged by the mustering officer, Major O. A. Coolidge, seventh U. S. infantry, and by Major Grant, paymaster U. S. V.

During the time that troop "A" was in the United States service, eighteen of the enlisted men received commissions as officers in the volunteer or regular service, and three were transferred to other organizations.

Though many of the men and officers were sick during the campaign, they all recovered and the only loss sustained by the troop was the accidental shooting of Private Hildreth, while on furlough at his home in New York city.

Commissioned Officers.
Captain: Howard G. Badgley, May 2 to November 28, 1898.
First Lieutenant: Frederic R, Coudert, Jr., May 2 to November 28, 1898.
Second Lieutenant: Joseph S. Frelinghuysen, May 2 to November 28, 1898.