4th Battalion of Artillery (Heavy)
Nickname: First Battalion, Black River Artillery
Received its numerical designation: September 16, 1862
Disbanded: December 31, 1862. Men transferred to the 10th regiment of artillery.
The following is taken from New York in the War of the Rebellion, 4th ed. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.
This battalion was organized at Sackett's Harbor, and received its numerical designation September 16, 1862. It served at Fort Richmond, New York harbor; was discontinued December 31, 1862, and its Companies A, B, C and D transferred to the 10th Artillery, as Companies E, D, M and B, respectively.
The following is taken from The Union army: a history of military affairs in the loyal states, 1861-65 -- records of the regiments in the Union army -- cyclopedia of battles -- memoirs of commanders and soldiers, Volume II: New York, Maryland, West Virginia and Ohio. Madison, WI: Federal Pub. Co., 1908.
Fourth Battalion Heavy Artillery.—This battalion, known as the 1st battalion Black River artillery, was organized at Sacket's Harbor and served at Fort Richmond, N. Y. harbor until discontinued on Dec. 31, 1862, when its four companies were transferred to the 10th N. Y. Artillery as Cos. E, D, M and B, respectively. (See 10th artillery.)