29th Independent Battery Light Artillery
Battery A, 1st battalion artillery designated 29th battery: March 16, 1863.
Mustered out: August 15, 1864.
The following is taken from New York in the War of the Rebellion, 29th ed. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.
Battery A, 1st Battalion Artillery, was designated the above-named independent battery March 16, 1863. It was organized and recruited in New York city, and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years August 26, 1861. It left the State, commanded by Capt. Otto Diederich, October 20, 1861, and served at and near Washington, D. C, from October, 1861; in the Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, from March, 1862; in the 3d Brigade, Artillery Reserve, 5th Corps, Army of the Potomac, from May, 1862; in Artillery Reserve, 5th Corps, from September, 1862; in Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, from December 2, 1862; in 2d Brigade, Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, from May, 1863; at and near Harper's Ferry, W. Va., and in the Army of West Virginia, 8th Corps, and attached to the 32d Battery, from July, 1863. At the expiration of its term of service those entitled to be discharged were mustered out August 15, 1864, under Capt. Bernard Wever, and the veterans and recruits transferred to the 32d N. Y. Volunteer Battery, to which the battery had been attached since July, 1863. While in service the battery lost by death, killed in action, 2 enlisted men; of disease and other causes, 3 enlisted men; total, 5 enlisted men.
The following is taken from The Union army: a history of military affairs in the loyal states, 1861-65 -- records of the regiments in the Union army -- cyclopedia of battles -- memoirs of commanders and soldiers, Volume II: New York, Maryland, West Virginia and Ohio. Madison, WI: Federal Pub. Co., 1908.
Twenty-ninth Independent Battery.—Capts., Otto Diedrich, Bernhard Wever. This battery took part in the siege of Yorktown and the Peninsular campaign attached to the artillery reserve of the 5th corps, being engaged at Mechanicsville, Garnett's farm. Glendale and Malvern Hill. In reserve it was present at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Pollock's Mill creek, Marye's heights and Salem Church. In July, 1863, it was attached to the 32nd battery, with which it was engaged near Martinsburg, at Harper's Ferry and Maryland heights. On Aug. 15, 1864, the veterans and recruits were transferred to the 32nd battery. During its term of service the battalion lost 2 men killed in action, and 1 officer and 3 men died of disease and other causes.