14th Independent Battery Light Artillery
Organized about December 21, 1861, by the consolidation of Companies B and D, 2nd battalion of artillery.
It was then known as Company A of that battalion until October 1862, when it was designated the 14th battery.
Disbanded: September 7, 1863.
The following is taken from New York in the War of the Rebellion, 14th ed. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.
This battery was organized about December 21, 1861, at Washington, D. C, by the consolidation of Companies B and D, 2d Battalion, Artillery, with William H. Hogan as Captain. It was then known as Company A of that battalion, until October, 1862, when it was constituted the 14th Battery as above. The companies it was composed of were recruited in New York city, and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years, December 9, 1861; they left the State December 16, 1861. The battery served at and near Washington, D. C., from December, 1861; in Richardson's Division, 2d Corps, Army of the Potomac, from March, 1862; by order of the War Department, the first section was attached, May 26, 1862, to Battery C, 4th U. S. Artillery; the second to Battery G, and the third to Battery B, 1st Artillery; January 16, 1863, the first section was transferred to Battery G, 1st Artillery; and September 7, 1863, by order of the War Department, these transfers were made permanent and the battery discontinued.
During its service, the battery lost by death, killed in action, 2 officers, 2 enlisted men; of wounds received in action, 1 enlisted man; and of disease and other causes, 4 enlisted men; total, 2 officers, 7 enlisted men; aggregate, 9.; of whom 1 enlisted man died in the hands of the enemy.
The following is taken from The Union army: a history of military affairs in the loyal states, 1861-65 -- records of the regiments in the Union army -- cyclopedia of battles -- memoirs of commanders and soldiers, Volume II: New York, Maryland, West Virginia and Ohio. Madison, WI: Federal Pub. Co., 1908.
Fourteenth Independent Battery.—Capts., William H. Hogan, James McKay Rorty. The battery served with Richardson's division, 2nd corps from March to May 26, 1862, when the first section was attached to Battery C, 4th U. S. artillery; the second to Battery G, and the third to Battery B, 1st N. Y. artillery. On Jan. 16, 1863, the first section was transferred to Battery G, 1st N. Y., and in September these transfers were made permanent by order of the war department, the battery being discontinued. The battery took part in the siege of Yorktown, the Seven Days' battles, Antietam, Leesburg, Charlestown, Snicker's gap, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. It lost during service 2 officers and 3 men killed and mortally wounded, and 4 men died of disease.