<< Back to Forts
Numbered Forts in New York City
Description: Fort Number 1: 1776. Built by Col. Swartwout on the southwest slope of Spuyten Duyvil Hill at today's West 230th Street and Sycamore Avenue. Small square fort with abatis. Abandoned without fight. Manned by Hessians until Nov 1778 when replaced by British Guards, abandoned and demolished Fall 1779. Also halfmoon earthenwork at mouth of Spuyten Duyvil Creek.
Fort Number 2: 1776. Built by Col. Swartwout on the crest of Spuyten Duyvil Hill today 200 feet south of 230th Street and 230 feet west of Arlington Avenue. A small circular abatised fort, abandoned Oct 1776, occupied by Hessians who added a small redan on west side, abandoned and destroyed Nov 1779. During construction may have been named Fort Swartwout.
Fort Number 3: 1776. Built by Col. Swartwout on eastern slope of Spuyten Duyvil Hill vicinity today of Netherland Avenue between 227th and 231st Streets. A square abatised earthwork it was evacuated Nov 1776, reoccupied by Hessians who in 1778 added a curtain wall to Fort Number 2. Abandoned by British Nov 1779 ruins existed to 1781.
Fort Number 4: 1776. A square palisaded earthwork redoubt. Near present south end of Jerome Park Reservoir, 700 feet east of Sedgewick Avenue. Assaulted twice and captured, occupied by British and Hessians. Redoubt was added in July - October 1777. Demolished in Fall 1779. Excavations in 1910 showed officer quarters and guard house structures.
Fort Number 5: 1777. British square abatised earthwork. Located on Kingsbridge Road covering Dyckman Bridge over the Harlem River. Now the grounds of U.S.Veteran's Hospital. Demolished in Fall 1779. Fort was not in action.
Fort Number 6: 1777. British earthwork. Also on the grounds of the Veteran's Hospital. Destroyed September 1779, not in action.
Fort Number 7: 1776. British earthworks for 20 cannon at present day Fordham Road and Sedgewick Avenue. Constructed for attack on Fort Washington. Reconstruction started in July 1777 into a square abatised fort. Barracks erected between fort and King's Redoubt to the west in December 1778. Stone magazine and earthworks torn down September 1779.
Fort Number 8: 1776. British four-pointed star fort with abatis. Stood on east side of Harlem River on today's NY University Campus, University Heights, Fordham, Bronx (Battery Hill). Schwab Mansion 1857 built on site. Abandoned and destroyed October 1782. Just to the north was the earlier Rebel Redoubt.
Fort Number 9: 1776. See Fort Prince.
County: http://dmna.ny.gov/forts/fortsT_Z/washingtonFort.htm
City, State: New York City, New York
