<< Back to Forts
Hendrick, Fort
Description: Fort Hendrick was built in 1754, in Herkimer County, in the town of Danube. It was located at the Upper Castle of the Mohawks, sometimes referred to as Canajoharie. The Upper Castle was established around 1710 and an earlier fortification was constructed in 1747. The fort was situated on flatlands east of Nowadaga Creek and south of the Mohawk River. Due to the fighting of the Seven Years’ War spilling over into the New World, improved fortifications were constructed on the site of the original two blockhouses and were completed by August of 1755. Fort Hendrick was a square of upright picket-fence pieces joined together with lintels, and stood at fifteen feet tall, and one foot thick, and featured portholes as well as an interior platform. It reportedly took the average man one hundred paces to walk along one side. Some small cannons (possibly swivel guns) were included in each bastion. A house on each curtain wall for stores and barracks served to accommodate the soldiers. The base’s garrison was comprised of one officer, with twenty-five men under his command. The fort was named for the Mohawk leader known as Hendrick, who was killed at Lake George one month after the fort’s completion. Markers for Hendrick and Canajoharie are three kilometers apart although they identify the same place.
County: Herkimer
City, State: Danube, New York
Conflict/Time Period: 1747
See Also:
For more information see www.nysm.nysed.gov/research_collections/research/history/hendrick/pagethree.html (link will open new window)

