Company C of the 108th Infantry was previously quartered in a leased building located at 117 East Dominick Street from 1942 to 1959.
The Oriskany Battlefield (1777) is just South-East on State Route 69.
The Fort Stanwix National Monument, built in 1758 by the British, rebuilt by Americans in 1776, withstood siege 3-22 Aug 1777, became an authorized National Monument in 1935, acquired/rebuilt in 1973.
One of the first NYS Militia Units in Rome was the 5th Separate Company, 1880-1882. There was also an earlier State Arsenal in the Rome area and we are still researching its location and period.
One of the first NYS Armories in Rome was a rental facility at 117 E. Dominick Street, 1942 - 1959, on the site of Fort Stanwix. After NYS vacated the building it was turned over to the Rome Historical Society for a museum of the fort. It was demolished in 1973 for the reconstruction of the fort.
The present Armory was constructed in 1959 with funds available through Public Law 173.
Other armories in Rome:
Arsenal (1808 - ????)
Hangar Road (????-Current)