Corning: 1st Street Arsenal

Street Address:First Street (between Washington and Hamilton streets)
Year Constructed:1858
Architect:James M. Hawley (contractor)
Square footage:Unknown
Status:Closed in 1875 due to lack of troops / Sold to St. Mary's Parish and became Sisters of Mercy convent and St. Joseph's Orphan Asylum headquarters / Converted to kindergarten in 1906 after nuns moved out / Vacant / Demolished in 1965 to make way for Castle Garden Apartments

Co. C & D, 7th Division 60th Infantry Regiment:    1858 - ????
106th Infantry Regiment:    1868 - 1873
106th Infantry Battalion:    1873 - 1877 (disbanded)


Prior to the arsenal being built, Co. C & D was headquartered in Elmira. The Centerway Armory was later built in 1935.